ErmaC

Clover General discussion

21,057 posts in this topic

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Slice said:

Clover keeps backward compatibility.

Slice, someone on MacRumors forums said Clover has been abandoned and that you're now working on OpenCore with the team.

Is this true?

thanks

22 minutes ago, LAbyOne said:

its called com.projectosx.clover.installer.plist it should be somewhere into ~/Lib/Pref

Strangely, this file doesn't exist in my system :cry:

1 hour ago, LAbyOne said:

Probably you should also trash the cloverinstaller.plist, which is where it stores all your previous installs and consequently their path/structure...

No, isn't. Nor the pkg nor the app rely on any plist to create a directory structure. 

Edited by vector sigma

30 minutes ago, drayon said:

Slice, someone on MacRumors forums said Clover has been abandoned and that you're now working on OpenCore with the team.

Is this true?

thanks

Not true.

Clover on sf.net is abandoned but Clover on github is alive.

I will also support OpenCore when I have a time for it.

31 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

No, isn't. Nor the pkg nor the app rely on any plist to create a directory structure. 

Strangely, com.projectosx.clover.installer.plist doesn't exist in Library/Preferences on my system :cry:

What do you think of my previous message: Slice answers only to backward compatibility

Since December 17th 2019, there is new folder where we can store ours kexts (Clover Instructions Topic). Question: I suppose Clover keep a compatibility with previous kexts folder? Right.

I've compile Clover and make a clean install in EFI Partition with no change: folders are same as before.

Sorry for my bad english

41 minutes ago, Slice said:

Last commit I did this. Check please.

thanks slice you fixed it xcode8 tool I built clover successfully

Hi All

Anybody knows how to hide new text (top left): it appears when I update to r5100 (f3c01aa).

Clover_screenshot.png

Edited by Matgen84

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi All

Anybody knows how to hide new text (top left): it appears when I update to r5100 (f3c01aa).

Clover_screenshot.png

file: CloverBootloader/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/menu.c

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12.27.54 AM.png

Should remove 2 lines above as well.

Edited by n.d.k

6 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

file: CloverBootloader/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/menu.c

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12.27.54 AM.png

Should remove 2 lines above as well.

Thanks :) I saw these lines one hour ago: removing it is a good but temporary solution. I hope at least a lasting solution in the config.plist

22 hours ago, Slice said:

The key problem is memory deallocation. In C++ there is a default destructor. You should somehow provide same way to go.

I think we can define the new and delete operator. I'll keep that in mind.

Last commit build error

src/CloverBootloader/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/menu.c:4219:34: error: result of comparison against a string literal is unspecified (use strncmp instead) [-Werror,-Wstring-compare]

if (SelfVolume->VolName[0] != L"#") {

^  ~~~~

src/CloverBootloader/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/menu.c:4219:34: error: comparison between pointer and integer ('CHAR16' (aka 'unsigned short') and 'unsigned short *') [-Werror]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^  ~~~~

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Thanks :) I saw these lines one hour ago: removing it is a good but temporary solution. I hope at least a lasting solution in the config.plist

I made the follow change.

If VolumeName begins with # then the line will not shown.

So, create a file .VolumeLabel.txt in the EFI partition with a name for this volume

"EFI" or "ESP" or "My USB Stick" or "#EFI" or anything else.

In the case of "#..." the message "Clover booted from XXX" will disappear.

Good?

18 minutes ago, HmO said:

Last commit build error

src/CloverBootloader/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/menu.c:4219:34: error: result of comparison against a string literal is unspecified (use strncmp instead) [-Werror,-Wstring-compare]

^  ~~~~

src/CloverBootloader/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/menu.c:4219:34: error: comparison between pointer and integer ('CHAR16' (aka 'unsigned short') and 'unsigned short *') [-Werror]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^  ~~~~

My mistake

L"#" -> L'#'

Fixed!

8 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi All

Clover_screenshot.png

OK, some people don't like the information about CLover boot volume.

Is it really a problem to see that in Clover, which you are supposed to see only few seconds at boot ? Maybe I should move on bottom right corner, like "5100, booted from xxx" ? Or a setting, disabled by default ?

Oups, I was too quick, I didn't check. I see that Slice did something. Thanks Slice.

That said, maybe the bottom right corner, next to the version, is nicer anyway. Opinion, anyone ?

Edited by Jief_Machak

Is Clover capable to patch Universal Mach-O kernels (Fat) (10.4.x to 10.7.x)? 

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/blob/49380a97ecd81aa117f24a06b52e751b600e4258/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kernel_patcher.c#L1826

Here it handles only 0xFEEDFACE and 0xFEEDFACF headers but Fat files have a 0xCAFEBABE header. 

Edited by Florin9doi

29 minutes ago, Florin9doi said:

Is Clover capable to patch Universal Mach-O kernels (Fat) (10.4.x to 10.7.x)? 

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/blob/49380a97ecd81aa117f24a06b52e751b600e4258/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kernel_patcher.c#L1826

Here it handles only 0xFEEDFACE and 0xFEEDFACF headers but Fat files have a 0xCAFEBABE header. 

Install OsxFatBinaryDrv.efi so the prelinked kernel is "thinned".

EDIT

boot.efi get thinned to the arch the CPU is using. Then the chosen booter knows what to do.

Edited by vector sigma

2 hours ago, Slice said:

I made the follow change.

If VolumeName begins with # then the line will not shown.

So, create a file .VolumeLabel.txt in the EFI partition with a name for this volume

"EFI" or "ESP" or "My USB Stick" or "#EFI" or anything else.

In the case of "#..." the message "Clover booted from XXX" will disappear.

Good?

I don't understand well this change. Hackinbtosher who choose UEFI only knows that Clover boot from EFI, I think.

I don't understand also: "If Volumename begins with #: it means we have to rename the volume: for example catalina-HD to #catalina-HD :worried_anim:

Personally, I prefer the reverse: In the case of "#...." the message Clover boot from XXX" will appear. Just my opinion: this change could be optional.

Sorry for my bad english, If I misunderstood what you says.

Edited by Matgen84

24 minutes ago, Florin9doi said:

Yes but as I said is boot.efi that load your prelinked into the memory map. In the OSes you mentioned, boot.efi is a Fat file, so the driver thin and keep the right arch. 

Injected kexts in those old OSes are thinned with this function instead:

EFI_STATUS EFIAPI ThinFatFile(IN OUT UINT8 **binary, IN OUT UINTN *length, IN cpu_type_t archCpuType)

where the CAFEBABE header is taken into account, which can be in reverse order too (FAT_MAGIC = 0xcafebabe vs FAT_CIGAM = 0xbebafeca)... depending on the indianess used.

Edited by vector sigma
typos

1 hour ago, Jief_Machak said:

OK, some people don't like the information about CLover boot volume.

Is it really a problem to see that in Clover, which you are supposed to see only few seconds at boot ? Maybe I should move on bottom right corner, like "5100, booted from xxx" ? Or a setting, disabled by default ?

Oups, I was too quick, I didn't check. I see that Slice did something. Thanks Slice.

That said, maybe the bottom right corner, next to the version, is nicer anyway. Opinion, anyone ?

Thanks for your great job :) I already comment Slice's answer but just my opinion is:

•  Hackinbtosher who choose UEFI only knows that Clover boot from EFI, I think.
  • this change could be optional. But the right place could be bottom right near version number as you says.
Edited by Matgen84

24 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hackinbtosher who choose UEFI only knows that Clover boot from EFI, I think.

I do not think this is the scenario. You may want to know or realize if you boot from a USB stick or a specific  ESP partition in your system. I have four of it in my system, so I can write "ESP on Samsung EVO" or "ESP on OCZ Vertex 4", which can be of help.

Edited by vector sigma