ErmaC

Clover General discussion

19,695 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

OK, I got it. Thanks for made it even better, and simpler for installer package.

Just a little issue (though not a big deal to be honest that hopefully will be fixed later); I've tried installing r4986 twice.. once onto a clean EFI partition and the second to an EFI that previously was installed. Weird is (if not a bug), I have double *.efi(s) for example ApfsDriverLoader is selected upon installation then placed to …\UEFI. But another one is still exist on \off\FileSystem (among others). That is. 

i didnt touch default checked driver.

also checked apfsdriveloader was exist both UEFI and off folder although checked default apfsdriveloader in package.

Advertisement
3 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

OK, I got it. Thanks for made it even better, and simpler for installer package.

Just a little issue (though not a big deal to be honest that hopefully will be fixed later); I've tried installing r4986 twice.. once onto a clean EFI partition and the second to an EFI that previously was installed. Weird is (if not a bug), I have double *.efi(s) for example ApfsDriverLoader is selected upon installation then placed to …\UEFI. But another one is still exist on \off\FileSystem (among others). That is. 

i didnt touch default checked driver.

also checked apfsdriveloader was exist both UEFI and off folder although checked default apfsdriveloader in package.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I don't compile r4986 yet. Sorry for my stupid question: why 'off' isn't in localizable.string

There is no reason to be in localizable.strings because off directory serves to nothing other then have all drivers available and ready to be copied from the shell or from Finder. Clover ignore them, is just a "parking" for all the drivers.

11 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Wait, are you hibernated now? LoL

I think latest r4986 doesn't work well as I got \EFI\CLOVER\drivers\off (contains last *.efi) but prev. *.efi are still there on …\UEFI folder. Or, did you suggest rm -rf CloverV2 right b4 ./ebuild.sh -fr ? Thanks.

As Slice already said, and written in latests posts, you are responsible for your own tests. Clover is under development.

5 hours ago, arsradu said:

I was wondering, what is the "off" folder for? Talking about drivers. I was always confused about this. If it's about disabled drivers, well...why not simply remove those drivers? Or not check them for installation.

Also, if it's for disabled drivers, I would suggest renaming "off" to "disabled". I mean...if those are "off", then the other ones are...what? ON? :)) 

I don't know. Maybe I didn't correctly understand the point of that folder. And, as I said above, in my opinion, if you don't want a specific driver, just don't install that driver. I see no point to install it, just to disable it afterwards.

Guys stop watching off drivers Lol. Serves to nothing, nothing to understand. Clover doesn't use them and you have to do nothing. Watch it when you need a different drivers. Will be there. Also before was drivers-off, now is "off" and is under a folder called "drivers". Was discussed yestrerday and then we did it. I made scripts to be changed in 1-2 minutes to make it appear. So "disable", "unused", "notLoaded", "repository".. or what else you like? :P

Edited by vector sigma

6 hours ago, Slice said:

ISO image must contain necessary drivers for UEFI boot from the DVD.

At least Fat.efi, HFS+, APFS, Aptio,

Ok I'll add them within 4 hours when I'll have my hack.

6 hours ago, Slice said:

Or UEFI boot from DVD is impossible?

I was guessing about this. Isn't a legacy boot only with the cdboot used?

4 hours ago, fusion71au said:

IMHO, ApfsDriverLoader.efi should be in both /drivers/BIOS and /drivers/UEFI as a mandatory/recommended driver, instead of located in /drivers/off/FileSystem as an optional driver.  Likewise VBoxHfs.efi or HFSPlus.efi be in /drivers/UEFI as a mandatory/recommended driver.

I guess it's better to stay inside "FileSystem" directory, otherwise there's no logic behind. If you want I can make it checked by default instead.

7 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Ok I'll add them within 4 hours when I'll have my hack.

I was guessing about this. Isn't a legacy boot only with the cdboot used?

I guess it's better to stay inside "FileSystem" directory, otherwise there's no logic behind. If you want I can make it checked by default instead.

@vector sigma

did you update beta3?

can you check sudo mount -uw in package?

still not working.. we need to type command in terminal

thanks in advance

Yes, the ISO is designed for legacy boot (and it really works!). I am just not sure if UEFI boot is also possible.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

There is no reason to be in localizable.strings because off directory serves to nothing other then have all drivers available and ready to be copied from the shell or from Finder. Clover ignore them, is just a "parking" for all the drivers.

As Slice already said, and written in latests posts, you are responsible for your own tests. Clover is under development.

Guys stop watching off drivers Lol. Serves to nothing, nothing to understand. Clover doesn't use them and you have to do nothing. Watch it when you need a different drivers. Will be there. Also before was drivers-off, now is "off" and is under a folder called "drivers". Was discussed yestrerday and then we did it. I made scripts to be changed in 1-2 minutes to make it appear. So "disable", "unused", "notLoaded", "repository".. or what else you like? :P

Well, in my opinion...if it's supposed to be a repository with all the drivers...from which the user chooses upon installation only a couple of them, depending on UEFI/Legacy boot and so on so forth, then "repository" sounds like the best name.

But if it's supposed to be used to disable drivers (which, again, I don't understand why would anyone do it this way...if you don't want a driver, just don't install it in the first place, no point to place it in "disabled", or "repository" or whatever we choose to call that folder), than maybe "disabled", or "off" like it was before, would be better.

Slice said it's "off" as in "disabled". And he chose off cause it was shorter to type (which I agree). Then let's leave it "off" then. If it can be used both as place to store the drivers and also, by the user to put their drivers they want disabled (again, not sure why would anyone do it this way, but people are weird), then let's leave it "off" then.

13 minutes ago, Slice said:

Yes, the ISO is designed for legacy boot (and it really works!). I am just not sure if UEFI boot is also possible.

I'll try to burn the iso on a CD/DVD tonight and see if it boots. But...how do you even configure it before writing it on the disk? I guess you need to edit the iso first...? I've never used the iso.

Edited by arsradu

10 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I'll try to burn the iso on a CD/DVD tonight and see if it boots. But...how do you even configure it before writing it on the disk? I guess you need to edit the iso first...? I've never used the iso.

Just boot with the default config and then tune inside Clover GUI.

by the user to put their drivers they want disabled (again, not sure why would anyone do it this way, but people are weird),

A user may install wrong set of drivers, ask the forum and then move some drivers to OFF or back.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Slice said:

Just boot with the default config and then tune inside Clover GUI.

by the user to put their drivers they want disabled (again, not sure why would anyone do it this way, but people are weird),

A user may install wrong set of drivers, ask the forum and then move some drivers to OFF or back.

I see... So that's the use case... Ok. That makes sense.

About Clover ISO, ok, I'll try it tonight. I've never used it before. I'll have to connect my external DVD burner. :)) Since I don't have one included with my system anymore. But I'll do it. This sounds fun.

Edited by arsradu

@vector sigma Sure, nothing to be worried as usually I install it first under VM or at least, USB PenDrive for using with Host machine.

Yeah, keep a good work and honestly I'm happy having double drivers as bonus on ESP.. it'll be a problem if none of them are located there, on the contrary hah haa..

Ah nevermind, question:

What's different between bootarg on Volume's Menu with check list compared to one on Custom Entry? On my case with Nvidia gfx; I get non-working nv_disable=1 bootarg from Custom Entry for booting RecoveryHD partition, but from Volume's Menu checklist (as well Option menu - Bootarg) it works. (again, only occurred when booting RecHD). Thanks.

Posted (edited)

@Slice

So, short answer for booting from iso under UEFI: nope.

Long answer: noooope. :))

Details:

The DVD boot option is only visible if booting with CSM enabled. Otherwise, no way of choosing that in boot menu. And indeed, it's using cdboot.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46d.thumb.jpg.7cf77a6843b702587b4095ce7242b15c.jpg

And apparently, even if I try to boot like that, it ends up in an error. Not sure if that part is intended.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e.thumb.jpg.07a32d4e41dc811a4e23738d3a84a8be.jpg

Attached you have the iso I used for this.

Clover-v2.4k-4986-X64.iso

Edited by arsradu

25 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@Slice

Details:

The DVD boot option is only visible if booting with CSM enabled. Otherwise, no way of choosing that in boot menu. And indeed, it's using cdboot.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46d.thumb.jpg.7cf77a6843b702587b4095ce7242b15c.jpg

And apparently, even if I try to boot like that, it ends up in an error. Not sure if that part is intended.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e.thumb.jpg.07a32d4e41dc811a4e23738d3a84a8be.jpg

"Not found" is a typical Clover message. So it is started! 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

@vector sigma

did you update beta3?

No, I'll do that in minutes.

6 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

can you check sudo mount -uw in package?

still not working.. we need to type command in terminal

it is already there. Can you try to install only things that goes in the ESP, without installing the clover prefpane, rc script etc. and let me know?

4 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Yeah, keep a good work and honestly I'm happy having double drivers as bonus on ESP.. it'll be a problem if none of them are located there, on the contrary hah haa..

I can make an option for it for who wants them.

6 hours ago, arsradu said:

But if it's supposed to be used to disable drivers

No no, you don't have to put drivers here to disable them... is just a place where you have all the drivers. As Slice said you can test them with the shell if something goes wrong and you want copy another driver in drivers/UEFI (or drivers/BIOS)

Edited by vector sigma

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Slice said:

Hey, @vector sigma

What about ticket 538? Is it resolved?

Sorry no, I'll do that in the week end as it will require a bit of time.

47 minutes ago, Slice said:

"Not found" is a typical Clover message. So it is started! 

Later I'll copy in drivers/UEFI the drivers suggested by you (in the iso). let me know if a need of other drivers be.

Edited by vector sigma
typo

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Slice said:

At least Fat.efi, HFS+, APFS, Aptio,

oh, which aptio do you prefer?

In the case is OsxAptioFix3 should I ensure any slide values is written to the config.plist inside the iso?

Edited by vector sigma

i think, the following folder could be deleted now from the repo: "CLOVER/CloverPackage/CloverV2/drivers-Off", cause since latest rev4986 it will no longer be filled with *.efi files while building CLOVER Installer.

Also in "ebuild.sh" line 843 "rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/CloverV2/drivers-Off" could be deleted, which now seems to be useless

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mork vom Ork said:

Also in "ebuild.sh" line 843 "rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/CloverV2/drivers-Off" could be deleted, which now seems to be useless

Is there to clean old stuff. Is the path wrong?

# clean old drivers directories
    if [[ "$DRIVERS_LEGACY" != drivers64 ]]; then
      rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64
    fi

if [[ "$DRIVERS_UEFI" != drivers64UEFI ]]; then
      rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
    fi

rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/CloverV2/drivers-Off

Edited by vector sigma

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Is there to clean old stuff. Is the path wrong?

no, it is correct, but will allways recreate that folder, even it is no longer needed since latest rev4986. But i see your request to let it stay for users, which are not allways on latest rev.

still needed for users which are on revs <4986. Maybe "if...than...else"declaration could help: if current rev < 4986 create this folder, else delete it if present

Edited by Mork vom Ork

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64
    fi

rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
    fi

yep, that's it. works perfect! <-- as allways  ;-)

1983005483_Bildschirmfoto2019-07-10um20_52_46.png.7aea38c8e974f21a0c85c6e70571187d.png

PS: i doubt for rev4986 it should be like this:

rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/BIOS
    fi

rm -rf "$CLOVER_PKG_DIR"/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
    fi

Edited by Mork vom Ork

On 7/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, vector sigma said:

GPT don't have an ESP if the disk is  <=2 GB. It's also written to your log:

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 GB     disk4
   1:                  Apple_HFS Boot                    1.9 GB     disk4s1

...that disk4 doesn't have it. Take a 4 GB stick at least ;)

Thank you! I'm not crazy. I'd been Googling for hours to figure that out. That should be prominent in all instructions.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:16 AM, Slice said:

I need more information what is the fail.

Meanwhile AptioMemoryFix chooses slide value automatically while Fix3 uses value from user and default one is zero.

May be for Catalina zero value is not the best and you have to choose something like slide=128.

None of the usual drivers worked for me. The only solution was OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Yes, that would be good, and I understand it makes "logical" sense to keep some drivers in both locations if "Off" refers to "Off-line Repository", where all the efi drivers are kept for safekeeping.  However for the moment, the Clover make pkg script will complain and fail if ApfsDriverLoader.efi is placed in both /drivers/UEFI (or /drivers/BIOS) and /drivers/off/UEFI(or BIOS)/FileSystem.

Here's one possible arrangement.  For the essential/recommended efi drivers needed to boot the system, these are placed in /drivers/BIOS or /drivers/UEFI...

Spoiler

1693081630_EssentialRecommendedDrivers.png.92f3d288c918fef191b89ae9c3258cf8.png

For the other drivers, they can be put in the "Off-line Repository"...

Spoiler

933550390_OfflineRepositoryDrivers.thumb.png.3810eddace538b6ec8094c7dbbef0c88.png

Color coding:

green = extra efi drivers from acidanthera repos. 

If I had to choose a recommended/preferred AptioFix driver (that works for the most systems), it would be AptioMemoryFix.efi.  I realize, however, it doesn't work for everyone...

blue = proprietory file system efi drivers

red = efi drivers currently in the recommended folders that are not really necessary for booting

eg AudioDxe.efi is just for the boot chime and can significantly slow down booting

SMCHelper.efi can cause conflict if using VirtualSMC.kext with VirtualSMC.efi, and is it really necessary for booting macOS?

12 hours ago, arsradu said:

@Slice

@arsradu,

Your compiled Clover ISO is missing apfs, HFS and AptioFix drivers, therefore the "Not found" error I assume...

Spoiler

211147277_MissingHFSdriverandAptiofix.png.1354370ac58d65c9012db30e2f78725e.png

You can try this one Clover-v2.4k-4986-X64.iso.zip with ApfsDriverLoader, VBoxHfs and AptioMemoryFix in /Drivers/UEFI included.  Note I have not changed the default config.plist provided by the Clover repo ---> may have to tweak settings to boot your system from the Clover GUI.

The Clover ISO at least is able to EFI boot into macOS Catalina with VMware EFI firmware ;)...

Spoiler

1260311809_CloverCDEFIboottoCatalinainVMware.thumb.png.98fd2dbc5e347b4dc135540a8d883a91.png1691651473_CloverCDEFIboottoCatalinainVMware2.thumb.png.1cadf7bfa6502aab01c072c99de0fd3f.png

Edited by fusion71au
formatting