ErmaC

Clover General discussion

19,695 posts in this topic

ok, anyway I'll remove the package I posted

4 hours ago, Slice said:

I need more information what is the fail.

Meanwhile AptioMemoryFix chooses slide value automatically while Fix3 uses value from user and default one is zero.

May be for Catalina zero value is not the best and you have to choose something like slide=128.

I'll try it

Advertisement
37 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Old Clover doesn't know that your drivers are in a new location, can't expect this. New Clover knows to search in old directories.

May be better to not 'move' but 'copy' and leave old ones for old Clover? .. anyway this happen only if you copy them manually otherwise an old installer will recreate them..

@Slice so we should leave there old directories? Let me know as I'm working on it in this moment..

49 minutes ago, Slice said:

I am testing.

Why installer said me

Theme 'cesium' (defined in config.plist) not found !
Using default theme 'embedded'

?

No. the theme is present!

I understand!

This is the script "postinstall"

$plistbuddy -c "Add InstalledThemes array" "$CLOVER_INSTALLER_PLIST_NEW" >/dev/null
index=0
while read -r -u3 theme_plist; do
    theme=${theme_plist%/*}
    theme=${theme##*/}
    $plistbuddy -c "Add InstalledThemes:$index string $theme" "$CLOVER_INSTALLER_PLIST_NEW" >/dev/null
    [[ -n "config_theme" && "$config_theme" == "$theme" ]] && theme_found=1
    themes_installed+=("$theme")
    index=$((index + 1))
done 3< <(find "${EFI_ROOT_DIR}"/EFI/CLOVER/themes -iname 'theme.plist' 2>/dev/null)

It searches the file "theme.plist".

But cesium ans other SVG themes doesn't contain the file. They contain file "theme.svg".

How this script can be improved to search both {theme.plist, theme.svg}?

4 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

@Slice so we should leave there old directories? Let me know as I'm working on it in this moment..

I want to test a link

ln -s UEFIDrivers drivers64UEFI

Will old clover works with it?

Posted (edited)

Well, what would be the real-life scenario here? Someone manually copying his Drivers (with subfolders UEFI and BIOS) from 498...whatever, into versions like 4972 or something like this, and removing the old drivers folders?

And doubling drivers to fix this...? I don't know... Not to mention then people will start asking: "Why two sets of driver folders"? :)) Maybe some sort of symlink...would be better? I don't know.

Edit: Slice, I see you already thought of the same thing. :)) Maybe that works...

Edited by arsradu

Just now, Slice said:

I understand!

$plistbuddy -c "Add InstalledThemes array" "$CLOVER_INSTALLER_PLIST_NEW" >/dev/null
index=0
    theme=${theme_plist%/*}
    theme=${theme##*/}
    $plistbuddy -c "Add InstalledThemes:$index string $theme" "$CLOVER_INSTALLER_PLIST_NEW" >/dev/null
    index=$((index + 1))
done 3< <(find "${EFI_ROOT_DIR}"/EFI/CLOVER/themes -iname 'theme.plist' 2>/dev/null)

It searches the file "theme.plist".

But cesium ans other SVG themes doesn't contain the file. They contain file "theme.svg".

How this script can be improved to search both {theme.plist, theme.svg}?

I guess the theme name is the directory that contains theme.svg... I'll fix it

7 minutes ago, Slice said:

I want to test a link

ln -s UEFIDrivers drivers64UEFI

Will old clover works with it?

UEFI drivers has support for symlinks?? Something that will surprise me Lol

It's a pity no. Symlinks doesn't work with FAT32 UEFI drivers. 

So we have to keep both old and new folders until user decides never return to old Clover.

Not a big deal. The folder occupies 100kb. 

24 minutes ago, Slice said:

I understand!

theme=${theme_plist%/*}
    theme=${theme##*/}
    index=$((index + 1))

try this:

theme=${theme_plist%/*}
    theme=${theme##*/}
    index=$((index + 1))
done 3< <(find "${EFI_ROOT_DIR}"/EFI/CLOVER/themes \( -iname 'theme.plist' -or -iname 'theme.svg' \) 2>/dev/null)

Jul  9 20:23:09 MacBook-Air Installer[5272]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: null is not an object (evaluating 'my.target.mountpoint')
Jul  9 20:24:59 MacBook-Air shove[5986]: Cross device symlink found in shove path, including /Volumes/ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

:blink:

svg theme resolved! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Slice said:

Jul 9 20:23:09 MacBook-Air Installer[5272]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: null is not an object (evaluating 'my.target.mountpoint') Jul 9 20:24:59 MacBook-Air shove[5986]: Cross device symlink found in shove path, including /Volumes/ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

Apple culprit, you aren't the first and not with Clover only :)

20 minutes ago, Slice said:

So all are clear. Please commit the changes when finish. I will wait you to not intersect.

I have some doubt now with "off" drivers and sorry if sounds stupid

2 hours ago, vector sigma said:

it's redundant, why not:

drivers
-- BIOS
-- UEFI
-- off

?

I mean a tree, subfolders... if we talk for the same thing

should I move ../CloverV2/drivers-Off to ../CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/off then? is this ok?

6 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

I have some doubt now with "off" drivers and sorry if sounds stupid

should I move ../CloverV2/drivers-Off to ../CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/off then? is this ok?

Yes, it will be like a store for unneeded drivers. Some day I moved a driver from UEFI to off or vice versa.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Slice said:

Different config, different ACPI files.

Make preboot.log by F2 key with old and with new Clover and compare.

Im using the same config.plist too.

Can you help me spotting the differences? Id like to run both kernels on the same clover version and config.

preboot(4392+custom kernel).log

preboot(latest clover).log

With the custom one I have almost 10x the Geekbench OpenCL score.

Edited by innerd

3 hours ago, Slice said:

So all are clear. Please commit the changes when finish. I will wait you to not intersect.

commited to r4986. Hope to not have committed any errors, too things changed. Let me know

@Sherlocks for your problem I'll take a look tomorrow, now I goo to sleep!

2 hours ago, vector sigma said:

commited to r4986. Hope to not have commic errors, too things changed. Let me know

@Sherlocks for your problem I'll take a look tomorrow, now I goo to sleep!

Wait, are you hibernated now? LoL

I think latest r4986 doesn't work well as I got \EFI\CLOVER\drivers\off (contains last *.efi) but prev. *.efi are still there on …\UEFI folder. Or, did you suggest rm -rf CloverV2 right b4 ./ebuild.sh -fr ? Thanks.

r4986-drivers-off.png

ISO image must contain necessary drivers for UEFI boot from the DVD.

At least Fat.efi, HFS+, APFS, Aptio,

Снимок экрана 2019-07-10 в 7.50.20.png

Or UEFI boot from DVD is impossible?

I was wondering, what is the "off" folder for? Talking about drivers. I was always confused about this. If it's about disabled drivers, well...why not simply remove those drivers? Or not check them for installation.

Also, if it's for disabled drivers, I would suggest renaming "off" to "disabled". I mean...if those are "off", then the other ones are...what? ON? :)) 

I don't know. Maybe I didn't correctly understand the point of that folder. And, as I said above, in my opinion, if you don't want a specific driver, just don't install that driver. I see no point to install it, just to disable it afterwards.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, arsradu said:

I was wondering, what is the "off" folder for?

I think it refers to "official" like an "official" repository of optional uefi drivers.

IMHO, ApfsDriverLoader.efi should be in both /drivers/BIOS and /drivers/UEFI as a mandatory/recommended driver, instead of located in /drivers/off/FileSystem as an optional driver.  Likewise VBoxHfs.efi or HFSPlus.efi be in /drivers/UEFI as a mandatory/recommended driver.

Edited by fusion71au
Clarify situation with BIOS booting, not need VBoxHfs.efi

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

I think it refers to "official" like an "official" repository of optional uefi drivers.

IMHO, ApfsDriverLoader.efi and VBoxHfs.efi should both be in /drivers/BIOS and /drivers/UEFI as mandatory/recommended drivers, instead of located in /drivers/off/FileSystem as optional drivers.

Oooh. :)) Well...in this case, we definitely need to rename that to "official", or "local repo" or "repository" or something like that. Or, even better, "built-in". Cause "off" means something else entirely. Nobody will think of Drivers/Off as in "official drivers". Most people will see "off" as in disabled.

And if those are "official", that makes the drivers in drivers/UEFI...unofficial, by contrast? :)) No, they're all just as official. Only one is the repo itself, the other one is the user's selection from that repo.

Just my opinion, of course.

And yeah, I agree we should have those as recommended (checked by default).

Edited by arsradu

20 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

IMHO, ApfsDriverLoader.efi and VBoxHfs.efi should both be in /drivers/BIOS and /drivers/UEFI as mandatory/recommended drivers, instead of located in /drivers/off/FileSystem as optional drivers.

10 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Oooh. :)) Well...in this case, we definitely need to rename that to "official". Or, even better, "built-in". Cause "off" means something else entirely. Nobody will think of Drivers/Off as in "official drivers". Or, as I can see, built-in drivers. 

Just my opinion, of course.

And yeah, I agree we should have those as recommended (checked by default).

I think all this new directories and subdirectories are a little bit complicated for End Users or others. You're right: make simple. For example for UEFI, mandatory and additional in Clover Package. Keep old directories in existing EFI folder installation

Just my opinion

Just so we don’t forget about it, after we’re done renaming, updating, moving stuff from one place to another, and everyone is happy with it, we need to do two more things (probably more, but these are the ones that just came to my mind):
1. Update languages. Since we’ve got new stuff that was never translated.
2. Update wiki to reflect the new folder structure.

Yes, translations and WIKI should be updated. This is users job.

off means disabled. This is shorter to type.

Are you changing the set of drivers by the installer? Always? I don't.

I can boot into Shell and move a driver from one folder to another

fs0:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers> mv off\apfs.efi UEFI\

and so on.

The folder off\ has a size of 1Mb while ESP has a size of 200Mb. Why not keep all possible drivers here?

BIOS folder don't need VboxHFS.efi because the driver is present in boot file. You may include here HFSplus.efi by Apple if you account it is better. In this case HFSplus.efi will have a priority.

Same for Fat.efi

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Slice said:

Yes, translations and WIKI should be updated. This is users job.

off means disabled. This is shorter to type.

Are you changing the set of drivers by the installer? Always? I don't.

I can boot into Shell and move a driver from one folder to another

fs0:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers> mv off\apfs.efi UEFI\

and so on.

The folder off\ has a size of 1Mb while ESP has a size of 200Mb. Why not keep all possible drivers here?

BIOS folder don't need VboxHFS.efi because the driver is present in boot file. You may include here HFSplus.efi by Apple if you account it is better. In this case HFSplus.efi will have a priority.

Same for Fat.efi

I don't compile r4986 yet. Sorry for my stupid question: why 'off' isn't in localizable.string

Edited by Matgen84

OK, I got it. Thanks for made it even better, and simpler for installer package.

Just a little issue (though not a big deal to be honest that hopefully will be fixed later); I've tried installing r4986 twice.. once onto a clean EFI partition and the second to an EFI that previously was installed. Weird is (if not a bug), I have double *.efi(s) for example ApfsDriverLoader is selected upon installation then placed to …\UEFI. But another one is still exist on \off\FileSystem (among others). That is.