ErmaC

Clover General discussion

20,227 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, SoThOr said:

I agree with the part about the Windows BCD having nothing to do with EFI entries. The next part is where I think we start to disagree. It is unclear what you are referring to as "it" but Windows IS capable of editing EFI Boot entries and it IS possible to do this via bcdedit. Perhaps bcdboot was what you were referring to and if that is the case then I think I would agree with you but that was not mentioned until after the above quoted message. 

bcdedit does read from EFI boot entries if you use either "ALL" or the "FIRMWARE" options for the /enum argument (or at minimum a cache copy of the entries that is created at boot). As pointed out in my previous posts my firmware likes to add extra Boot#### variables other than ones added manually or by installers and they appear with the bcdedit /enum FIRMWARE command. My evidence given in my previous post.

Maybe I am interpreting what you said incorrectly but these the reasons I decided to add my 2 cents.

Anyway, I think this is straying from what your initial point was. That using Clover at \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi is unsafe as Windows or potentially any other OS or bootloader could overwrite that file. Which I agree entirely.

I think I shall go back to lurking now.

No, actually neither is capable of creating EFI entries in the way you think. They both can create one entry, the one pointed to by {bootmgr} (previously bcdedit could only modify the entry but it seems that it creates it now as well if needed). The firmware entries are added by bootmgfw.efi to the BCD that is passed into the system for usage (through the registry) and to prevent not having a default loader has some setting to replace BOOTX64.efi (while apparently not properly enumerating the rest of the firmware entries). I'm going to turn off my notifications now. Because I am serious, I am not enjoying doing this anymore.

Advertisement
5 hours ago, apianti said:

No, actually neither is capable of creating EFI entries in the way you think. They both can create one entry, the one pointed to by {bootmgr} (previously bcdedit could only modify the entry but it seems that it creates it now as well if needed). The firmware entries are added by bootmgfw.efi to the BCD that is passed into the system for usage (through the registry) and to prevent not having a default loader has some setting to replace BOOTX64.efi (while apparently not properly enumerating the rest of the firmware entries). I'm going to turn off my notifications now. Because I am serious, I am not enjoying doing this anymore.

I didn't claim that bcdedit could create EFI boot entries. I said it could read and edit them. I realize bcdedit is a tool created for managing the Windows BCD however Microsoft has added the ability to read and modify EFI Boot entries also. I am not confusing BSD entries and EFI entries either. It might not be very well documented that it is able to modify EFI Boot entries but it can and I have used it previously to make modifications to EFI Boot entries.

Out of curiosity I tried to see if bcdedit could create EFI Boot entries and I managed to find a way to create EFI boot entries using bcdedit. It's a little bit of a hack but it is possible. Rather than posting here I decide to start a new thread. If anyone is interested they can read more about how here.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................... You missed my point, it is not reading the EFI entries. It is reading the BCD from the registry, which was populated with firmware entries by bootmgfw.efi on boot. If I go into the registry and look at the BCD I have firmware entries there, yet none of them are displayed in bcdedit /enum all. Also as I said it can create one entry {bootmgr}, I'm pretty sure what you describe in the other topic is a bug (just like the enumeration one I am saying there is) not to mention that yes it includes the option data which can cause undefined behavior in whatever you created when launched... If it was able to create actual entries then you would be able to add an entry that is simply a firmware application, you cannot do this. The only way to edit EFI entries is to use the windows API. Windows applications and drivers can't even read or write nvram variables without a special certificate from microsoft (that you must request and provide reasons why you need to use nvram), and additionally being signed, having two special attributes, being run as an administrator or the system and that user has to have a special privilege. What you have described is actually an easy way for a rootkit to be installed, which completely defeats the purpose of all their restrictions on nvram access.

I have two MacOS installations -- is there a way to specify per-volume "config.plist" files so that a different configuration is automatically loaded without manually loading a new config in Options?  E.g., "config.plist" is tied to "High Sierra" and config2.plist is tied to "Mojave"?

This is just wrong idea.

All patches in config.plist are os version specific. No need to have different configs.

Or you want to have different GUI themes before choosing an OS?! Christmas for High Sierra and NewYear for Mojave?

Posted (edited)

Hi guys

I've just updated to 10.14.5 aaand...yeah, that issue with purple horizontal lines on first stage boot is there. Sad times... I'm guessing this is a bug on Apple's side. But I'm curious if anyone else has this issue. And if it's only with RX 580 or any other cards, too.

Edited by arsradu

9 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys

I've just updated to 10.14.5 aaand...yeah, that issue with purple horizontal lines on first stage boot is there. Sad times... I'm guessing this is a bug on Apple's side. But I'm curious if anyone else has this issue. And if it's only with RX 580 or any other cards.

Yeah I noticed that during the installation process on my RX 580 and tomorrow I’m gonna update my IvyBridge with R9 270X and let you know if the same issue happens or not.

@arsradu

I just decided to install the update on the Ivy right now and the purple lines are also there <_< and I guess there will be there once the installation is done!

[mention=1303722]arsradu[/mention]
I just decided to install the update on the Ivy right now and the purple lines are also there <_ i guess there will be once the installation is done>

Well that sucks... so is it an Apple issue...? I haven’t tried the on-board graphics yet. If it occurs with that one too, well, I don’t know what to say anymore...

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Well that sucks... so is it an Apple issue...? I haven’t tried the on-board graphics yet. If it occurs with that one too, well, I don’t know what to say anymore...

Yeah that sucks for sure, not only the flashing issue isn't resolved another issues appears which makes things even worse!

I might never reboot my hack ever again!! :D

Why does the latest official Clover build have integrated exfat driver? It slows down the boot process by unnecessarily scanning my media partition.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:57 PM, Dr. Hurt said:

Why does the latest official Clover build have integrated exfat driver? It slows down the boot process by unnecessarily scanning my media partition.

May be ebuild.sh changed and I didn't notice the change in 

!ifndef NO_GRUB_DRIVERS
INF  Clover/FileSystems/GrubFS/src/EXFAT.inf	
#INF  Clover/FileSystems/GrubFS/src/NTFS.inf
!endif

Before this I always compiled with the key NO_GRUB_DRIVERS.

I will check next release.

Guys, quick question: does the screenshot feature of Clover work only in the UI, or does it work in verbose mode, as well? Cause that would be really, really cool.

Right now, if you wanna screenshot a specific section of the verbose log, you have to take a picture with your cellphone or something and then mail it to yourself so you can see it on a bigger screen. And it usually comes out crooked and blurry. Which is not something you want, if you're planning on actually using that to debug something.

Just wondering if that would be possible (I'm guessing the answer is probably No, but just asking). :) 

5 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Guys, quick question: does the screenshot feature of Clover work only in the UI, or does it work in verbose mode, as well? Cause that would be really, really cool.

Right now, if you wanna screenshot a specific section of the verbose log, you have to take a picture with your cellphone or something and then mail it to yourself so you can see it on a bigger screen. And it usually comes out crooked and blurry. Which is not something you want, if you're planning on actually using that to debug something.

Just wondering if that would be possible (I'm guessing the answer is probably No, but just asking). :) 

I'm not sure if such feature exist or not (it probably does not) but I usually take videos of verbose mode which I can then view more clearly and find a certain section in slower playback.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I'm not sure if such feature exist or not (it probably does not) but I usually take videos of verbose mode which I can then view more clearly and find a certain section in slower playback.

Yeah, I don't think there is such a thing currently. I was wondering if that would even be possible to implement? Cause I've never seen it anywhere before.

And yeah, when there is fast moving text, I also usually take a video and then play it back frame by frame or in slow motion and such. But when I said blurry, I meant more like not in focus. I can rarely get a perfectly clear picture of the screen, with my phone, even if the text is not moving. The camera just doesn't wanna focus correctly on that text. It looks sharp enough. But when I check out the result, I struggle to understand what the hell is written there. :)) 

So that's why I thought maybe having the screenshot feature available while in verbose mode, would be really useful. :D But as you said, and as I suspect, that's probably not possible, or it would require more work to get it done, and it's just not worth it.

Edited by arsradu

Add me to the list of White Flash and then "Purple Lines" with the RX580 - don't know if it's an Apple issue though because I tried a cheapo Nvidia 710 card and the boot screen is without any anomalies as with the RX580.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, eSaF said:

Add me to the list of White Flash and then "Purple Lines" with the RX580 - don't know if it's an Apple issue though because I tried a cheapo Nvidia 710 card and the boot screen is without any anomalies as with the RX580.

Same here.

ASUS MAXIMUS  X HERO, I7-8700, RX580+UHD630

Edited by msbc

On 5/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, arsradu said:

Nice wishes but it's impossible. When you see verbose text then Clover is out of the events horizon. When kernel took a drive then no our services are posiible.

I may recommend to see NVRAM for variable AAPL,panic-info where the log is written if the hardware nvram is supported.

Posted (edited)

@Slice

long time no see.

can we consider smcverision 1/2/3? smcversion3 doesn't have REV/EPCI/RBR. 

FakeSMC force inject REV value right? can we just control datahub part to not relate FakeSMC rev?

Edited by Sherlocks

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

Just so you know, downloading GNU gettext via the curl command in buildgettext.sh doesn't seem to work anymore. Probably server issues, probably something else. I only wanted to let you guys know about this issue in case you encounter it too.

1244520192_Screenshot2019-05-21at20_20_42.thumb.png.5fd64042185ac4f812af3ec6b8b35ae8.png

Download works fine from their website though. So, as a workaround, I just downloaded the archive manually, renamed it and placed it inside the src/tools/download folder.

Problem solved. :))

Edited by arsradu

6 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

thanks. i didn't notice it.

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Does Clover affect the processor type under the About This Mac? If it is, that's why all 9900K users seeing own processor type as an i7 then.

Does Clover affect the processor type under the About This Mac? If it is, that's why all 9900K users seeing own processor type as an i7 then.
not at all. it'not affect the about this mac.
it is just record for check of smbios model

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄