ErmaC

Clover General discussion

19,036 posts in this topic

Can confirm this still happens for App Store upgrade to 10.13.2_17C60c and Clover r4289.  Clover incorrectly identifies "macOS Install Data" as 10.12 instead of 10.13.2...

22:480  0:000  Loading boot.efi  status=Success
22:898  0:418  GetOSVersion: 10.12

It seems the code does not parse "/macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files/SystemVersion.plist"?

attachicon.gifmacOS Install Data.png

Thanks. I accept this in rev 4293.

Advertisement

Hi, i'm running hackintosh and find something confusing on my system regarding EFI mount device.

The EFI mounts as a random number after each reboot.

In Terminal the number and on Finder just EFI, see below.

Can anyone explain or post a link for the reason of this ? I'm just curious.

My apologies for interupting.

As it seems I cant post a screenshot, i'll try to explain.

In Terminal when I ls /volume, I can see my 2 drives and a random number like ctmTempMpINYwUXDBN

In Finder I see my 2 drives and the EFI partition.

Why not EFI in the terminal ?

Thanks. I accept this in rev 4293.

Thanks Slice.  Clover r4293 correctly detects 10.13.1 or 10.13.2beta updates now.  

As an added bonus, it even uses the High Sierra icon for macOS Install of HS ...

post-846696-0-16741600-1509827100_thumb.png

post-846696-0-31917200-1509827129_thumb.png

post-846696-0-70297100-1509827165_thumb.png

or Sierra icon for macOS Install of Sierra... :thumbsup_anim:

post-846696-0-00752500-1509835235_thumb.png

Thanks for sharing.  The theme folder installer option is missing unless this was on purpose?

Yes.  I've only attached the Clover "slim" package r4293, without themes, owing to file size restrictions (with themes, it is >10MB).  You can download themes separately with Clover Theme Manager here.

Clover_v2.4k_r4293.pkg.zip

@Slice, would it be possible to get the current kext version number to show up in the Clover GUI "Block Injected Kexts" section at the side of its name?

Just an idea  ;)

CloverUpdater was not changed since 4000 when it changes 2.3 -> 2.4.

Did you check any other 4xxx revision?

Change AptioFix <-> AptioFix2 or vice versa.

Remove "-v" from boot-args. 

Remove nvram.plist from EFI partition and from Mac root partition.

Slice, Aptiofix or Aptopfix2 doesnt matter, nvram doesnt work...

i can write something into nvram (with terminal and sudo nvram....) but on next boot its gone...

Thats the Problem, why im asking...

Seems for me, like Aptio maps the wrong Memory region...

Cheers

Thanks Slice.  Clover r4293 correctly detects 10.13.1 or 10.13.2beta updates now.  

As an added bonus, it even uses the High Sierra icon for macOS Install of HS ...

or Sierra icon for macOS Install of Sierra... :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing.  The theme folder installer option is missing unless this was on purpose?

Hi, i'm running hackintosh and find something confusing on my system regarding EFI mount device.

The EFI mounts as a random number after each reboot.

In Terminal the number and on Finder just EFI, see below.

Can anyone explain or post a link for the reason of this ? I'm just curious.

My apologies for interupting.

As it seems I cant post a screenshot, i'll try to explain.

In Terminal when I ls /volume, I can see my 2 drives and a random number like ctmTempMpINYwUXDBN

In Finder I see my 2 drives and the EFI partition.

Why not EFI in the terminal ?

Mount point names are not the same as volume names. A mount point can be named anything (doesn't need to match the file system volume name) and be anywhere (doesn't need to be in the /Volumes folder). Look at the mount command, and the various file system specific versions like mount_msdos. "diskutil info /dev/disk1s2" will tell you the volume name, mount point name, and device name for partition 2 of disk 1.

Seems for me, like Aptio maps the wrong Memory region...

Nonworking NVRAM is a known issue on newer AptioV boards. Are you using EmuVariableUefi.efi?

Hi

In my compiled version r4293, the theme folder is present. 

537501Capturedcran20171105141919.png

@joevt,

Thanks for the reply, learning something new every day  :) .

At the beginning I was rather freaked out, but now I know where it came from, what and why, and how easy it is to unmount, I'm glad I know now.

Nonworking NVRAM is a known issue on newer AptioV boards. Are you using EmuVariableUefi.efi?

Yep, ive seen, but there are ways...

1. We can disable SMI Lock in bios (to make things easier)

2. We had same Problems on Aptio4 long time ago but i dont know how it's fixed... (On my Laptop nvram works even with SMI Lock enabled...(Aptio4 Haswell))

So there must be a way, there are just not enough benefits, as far as Emulated Nvram exists...

In my Opnion, 50% of the Aptiofix driver is useless, if nvram doesnt work.

Thats why i want to get that fixed, but no one want to spend time on this...

Cheers

Your NVRAM breaks because it is being locked by your firmware, this is normal for almost all firmware but you should not have that problem with AptioFix2. Also, you are way off on what the AptioFixes do, with out it you wouldn't even be able to boot. AptioFixes add things Apple firmware expects that UEFI doesn't do, changes ACPI memory page types so they are not moved, and then patches the kernel to properly start and fix the device tree. AptioFix creates a relocation region, loads the kernel there, then moves it to the spot it requested. AptioFix2 tries to give it the region the kernel wants to begin.

EDIT: Also maybe try to solve the problem yourself instead of acting like other people should do it for you. I do this because I like to, not because you feel entitled for others working for you without putting in any effort of your own. There are developers who have been doing this for a decade, I myself have for like six or seven years. Do some research, learn, figure the problem out, find the solution. Believe me, no one will do it for you unless they happen to have the same problem. Sometimes, it's the configuration and your firmware settings though, too. But most of the time you need to accept it doesn't work or continue and try to find a way to change it. And just for the record, the NVRAM issue has been known since UEFI booting macOS has been possible, it is an SMI locking problem.

Yep, ive seen, but there are ways...

1. We can disable SMI Lock in bios (to make things easier)

2. We had same Problems on Aptio4 long time ago but i dont know how it's fixed... (On my Laptop nvram works even with SMI Lock enabled...(Aptio4 Haswell))

So there must be a way, there are just not enough benefits, as far as Emulated Nvram exists...

There's a topic on this if you're so inclined.

the NVRAM issue has been known since UEFI booting macOS has been possible, it is an SMI locking problem.

This issue is probably not SMI related, the region is not moved, iirc the SMIs trigger and yet it does not work... A5 has more checks for var names, but I didnt find out what they were supposed to do before I got bored

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5000 mit Tapatalk

Your NVRAM breaks because it is being locked by your firmware, this is normal for almost all firmware but you should not have that problem with AptioFix2. Also, you are way off on what the AptioFixes do, with out it you wouldn't even be able to boot. AptioFixes add things Apple firmware expects that UEFI doesn't do, changes ACPI memory page types so they are not moved, and then patches the kernel to properly start and fix the device tree. AptioFix creates a relocation region, loads the kernel there, then moves it to the spot it requested. AptioFix2 tries to give it the region the kernel wants to begin.

EDIT: Also maybe try to solve the problem yourself instead of acting like other people should do it for you. I do this because I like to, not because you feel entitled for others working for you without putting in any effort of your own. There are developers who have been doing this for a decade, I myself have for like six or seven years. Do some research, learn, figure the problem out, find the solution. Believe me, no one will do it for you unless they happen to have the same problem. Sometimes, it's the configuration and your firmware settings though, too. But most of the time you need to accept it doesn't work or continue and try to find a way to change it. And just for the record, the NVRAM issue has been known since UEFI booting macOS has been possible, it is an SMI locking problem.

I asked already in my first post, that I don't want anyone spend to much time with this, I know how the things work here apianti.

And I spend my self a lot time, long time ago with the acpi tables and support for some other users...

However, you are right at all points.

I write next time if I found more things out, I will post again.

The first step I need to do anyways is to deactivate SMI lock, that should be np.

And as long we have working nvram with the emulated driver, everything is ok.

There's a topic on this if you're so inclined.

There are exactly all infos, that I've searched, thank you very much!

This issue is probably not SMI related, the region is not moved, iirc the SMIs trigger and yet it does not work... A5 has more checks for var names, but I didnt find out what they were supposed to do before I got bored

Seems like you have investigated already time into this.

I think that would be my problem too. Just deactivating SMI Locking will not fix Nvram :-)))

However, thanks very much to everyone here.

Just to be clear, I don't want to waste time here of anyone.

I need to fix my problems myself and I have a lot of them with x299 platform...

Everything works Perfect with x299 on the first look, but unsupported cpu with VoodooTSC and Emulated Nvram sucks.

Thanks to all & Cheers :-)

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some issues with Clover rev. > 4077, with a RocketRaid 2720SGL. It hang on scanning entries.

If I unplug all devices from it but the boot drive, it does not hang.

I have made a thread there if you want to have a look : #CloverEFI BiosBlockIO rev>4077 hangs at "Scanning entries"icon_share.png

I tried to use serveral different boot7 files, with no luck.

To boot from the SAS Controller, I need to user BiosBlockIO as SATA boot does not see the SAS boot device.

Maybe you have an idea about this ?

Thanks.

On latest Clover 4289 and with latest apfs.efi I always get this message at boot: 

nx_dev_init:705: Warning: superblock indicates jumpstart record but this driver was not loaded from that partition

When I put the previous version of apfs.ini into drivesr64UEFI I don't have this message. What is the reason of this jumpstart message at boot?

B.t.w. Do I need this driver NvmExpressDxe-64.efi with latest Clover and High Sierra for my NVMe drive? It does boot without this driver.

A little late (couldn't test earlier unless I'd download the update again) but now I can confirm that r4293 indeed works as expected when updating to 10.13.2 beta 2  :)

There are a few regions of runtime that are moved, mainly the system table and that region. I think the relocation of this and not fixing the pointers inside the region is what causes the issue since SMM runs in physical mode. Which since it's not relocated with AptioFix2 but with AptioFix (when the kernel is relocated, this region is linked into the kernel).

I asked already in my first post, that I don't want anyone spend to much time with this, I know how the things work here apianti.

And I spend my self a lot time, long time ago with the acpi tables and support for some other users...

However, you are right at all points.

I write next time if I found more things out, I will post again.

The first step I need to do anyways is to deactivate SMI lock, that should be np.

And as long we have working nvram with the emulated driver, everything is ok.

There are exactly all infos, that I've searched, thank you very much!

Seems like you have investigated already time into this.

I think that would be my problem too. Just deactivating SMI Locking will not fix Nvram :-)))

However, thanks very much to everyone here.

Just to be clear, I don't want to waste time here of anyone.

I need to fix my problems myself and I have a lot of them with x299 platform...

Everything works Perfect with x299 on the first look, but unsupported cpu with VoodooTSC and Emulated Nvram sucks.

Thanks to all & Cheers :-)

Nah, you're good. Just making a point about how researching yourself and bringing something to the conversation usually gets problems fixed instead of asking for help without a starting point.

There are a few regions of runtime that are moved, mainly the system table and that region. I think the relocation of this and not fixing the pointers inside the region is what causes the issue since SMM runs in physical mode. Which since it's not relocated with AptioFix2 but with AptioFix (when the kernel is relocated, this region is linked into the kernel).

Indeed it's only the SystemTable region, all others are marked as MMIO. Doubt it's the issue as the SMM drivers have their own system table (which should in theory be marked MMIO and hence not be relocated). The changes I found between the working and non-working version did not hint at sth like that either.

Indeed it's only the SystemTable region, all others are marked as MMIO. Doubt it's the issue as the SMM drivers have their own system table (which should in theory be marked MMIO and hence not be relocated). The changes I found between the working and non-working version did not hint at sth like that either.

Well there could be additional information following the system table, if you copy the system table with just sizeof(EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE) instead of SystemTable->Hdr.HeaderSize, it will usually cause problems when used. They are rarely the same size. And what changes have you seen between them, besides non working stuff? The problem could be that there are two separate tables, the one copied into the kernel is modified and the one not is used so it causes problems. Or the one copied into the kernel contains incorrect information because it wasn't meant to be moved.... I have no idea but it's the relocation of either the entire kernel or the runtime region. I don't see what else it could be, that's basically the only difference between the drivers...

EDIT: You know I never noticed that this line only converts the EfiRuntimeServicesData and not EfiRuntimeServicesCode to EfiMemoryMappedIO. Shouldn't it be protecting all the runtime?

EDIT2: From the spec:

EfiRuntimeServicesCode	The memory in this range is to be preserved by the loader and OS in the working and ACPI S1–S3 states.
EfiRuntimeServicesData	The memory in this range is to be preserved by the loader and OS in the working and ACPI S1–S3 states.
EfiMemoryMappedIO	This memory is not used by the OS. All system memory-mapped IO information should come from ACPI tables.

So I wonder why not also protect the code regions? Wouldn't the SMM driver code be located in a code region?

EDIT3: Also, I've noticed something else, memory allocated from the default pool using edk2 libraries for an application is allocated using EfiLoaderData but it is not freed upon exiting boot services like previously thought, memory leaks can occur here as the outcome depends on how the OS decides to handle that memory type, is it indeed freed?

EfiLoaderData	The Loader and/or OS may use this memory as they see fit.

EDIT4: I have now woken up from fever dreams twice in the night to edit this, lol. So I think I had a revelation that the EfiRuntimeServicesCode regions are relocated into the kernel, but EfiRuntimeServicesData are not. If the kernel is then relocated I don't think any of those regions are fixed at all and I believe that might be the bug, since there must be physical addresses present, not virtual, as SMM runs in physical mode.

Hello guys. I have been having this problem since the High Sierra came out, and there are several other people with the same problem. This is due to Fusion Drive. I can not do a clean install or update the system. Already 2 updates came out after the release of High Sierra, and the two times I updated I had the same problem.

Always after I click to install the update or the system, it restarts and enters the black screen with a warning that is installing the update (or the system). Soon after doing the installation faster, again it restarts, enters the Clover and from there no more enters the system to finish the installation.

I'm stuck again between Clover and the system because I can not boot to finish the installation, it seems that it can not find the location where the files were placed. Can solve this in Clover? Is there a way I can get this resolved so I can log in and finish the installation?

Note 1: the times I managed to get around the problem, I had to do a clean installation on an old notebook hard drive, and then restore the HD image to the Fusion Drive. But now that I'm full of files and programs on Fusion Drive, I can not do the restore anymore because of space.

Note 2: I'm using HFS+

Clover after the second restart, where I can not go any further.

post-748259-0-47679200-1510048351_thumb.jpeg

Stuck here, after choosing the boot.

post-748259-0-49110300-1510048363_thumb.jpeg

I'm stuck again between Clover and the system because I can not boot to finish the installation, it seems that it can not find the location where the files were placed. Can solve this in Clover? Is there a way I can get this resolved so I can log in and finish the installation?

I had the same issue, and it was caused by APFS.efi. Maybe your issue is the same. Try to use the one you find on your updated system disk in /usr/standalone/i386/.

Well there could be additional information following the system table, if you copy the system table with just sizeof(EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE) instead of SystemTable->Hdr.HeaderSize, it will usually cause problems when used. They are rarely the same Loader. And what changes have you seen between them, besides non working stuff? The problem could be that there are two separate tables, the one copied into the kernel is modified and the one not is used so it causes problems. Or the one copied into the kernel contains incorrect information because it wasn't meant to be moved.... I have no idea but it's the relocation of either the entire kernel or the runtime region. I don't see what else it could be, that's basically the only difference between the drivers...

EDIT: You know I never noticed that this line only converts the EfiRuntimeServicesData and not EfiRuntimeServicesCode to EfiMemoryMappedIO. Shouldn't it be protecting all the runtime?

EDIT2: From the spec:

EfiRuntimeServicesCode	The memory in this range is to be preserved by the loader and OS in the working and ACPI S1–S3 states.
EfiRuntimeServicesData	The memory in this range is to be preserved by the loader and OS in the working and ACPI S1–S3 states.
EfiMemoryMappedIO	This memory is not used by the OS. All system memory-mapped IO information should come from ACPI tables.
So I wonder why not also protect the code regions? Wouldn't the SMM driver code be located in a code region?

EDIT3: Also, I've noticed something else, memory allocated from the default pool using edk2 libraries for an application is allocated using EfiLoaderData but it is not freed upon exiting boot services like previously thought, memory leaks can occur here as the outcome depends on how the OS decides to handle that memory type, is it indeed freed?

EfiLoaderData	The Loader and/or OS may use this memory as they see fit.
EDIT4: I have now woken up from fever dreams twice in the night to edit this, lol. So I think I had a revelation that the EfiRuntimeServicesCode regions are relocated into the kernel, but EfiRuntimeServicesData are not. If the kernel is then relocated I don't think any of those regions are fixed at all and I believe that might be the bug, since there must be physical addresses present, not virtual, as SMM runs in physical mode.

Quite sure I let someone test an AptioFix that relocates RT code too, but can't say for sure... tbh I'm done with that issue until I can reproduce it, cuz remote debugging sucks. Doubt it is the issue though... Can MMIO be executed from anyway? If not, non-SMM RT code would kill the kernel. Maybe the SMM RT code portions can be PE32-relocated?

Regarding loader data: imo it makes sense, just free all data before handing off (if boot.efi fails, the system might be in a bad state anyway, so reboot > handoff) or use the MemoryAllocLib for UEFI (drivers) (probably simpler)

Also forget about SystemTable, SMM has its own. Or you think the DXE driver might be the one causing issues?