ErmaC

Clover General discussion

21,073 posts in this topic

Strange.

Can you check registers 0x770 and 0x771 after sleep with this tool http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291833-anvmsr-v10-tool-and-driver-to-read-from-or-write-to-cpu-msr-registers/?

pHs-Mac:AnVMSR_10.6 and + ph$ ./anvmsr read 770
RDMSR 770 returns value 0x1
pHs-Mac:AnVMSR_10.6 and + ph$ ./anvmsr read 771
RDMSR 771 returns value 0x10a2424

After waking up, I am sure the value of 0X770 is 0. That's to say, hwp is turned off. And after reading the value of 771, system crashed...

No need for that option at all...

For correct HWP implementation, use an SMBIOS that has HWP enabled or edit the plist in X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Resources appropriately.

HWP will be enabled on boot and on wake from sleep with correct SMBIOS/X86PlatformPlugin setup.

Yeah. I am aware there are two implementation of HWP. But I have problems getting SMBIOS one working and this method has more requirements than the other for Pentiums.

Advertisement

I updated to the Clover r4091 and now I'm stuck here. Does anyone know how to solve it?

I saw this today when i tried setting <key>TextOnly</key><true/> in Clover's config.plist on a laptop which does not seem to support the text console after Clover's graphics are displayed. I had to make a separate boot option for Shell64U.efi which skips Clover so I could use the Shell. Anyway, Clover was still working, I just couldn't see the UI, so I was able to start an OS and set TextOnly back to false. You probably have a different problem though, since you probably wouldn't set TextOnly to true, and your PC probably supports TextOnly?

BTW, your screen shot shows a problem with the progress messages, where the ... on the left is not erased correctly between messages, so sometimes it shows 4 dots .... or overlapping dots. The fix is to change the code so that all progress messages are the same length with spaces like this:

// make sure these messages are all 30 (or 31 characters with an additional space to center odd number of characters)
"    Welcome to Clover %s    " 
"   ... testing hardware ...   "
"     ... user settings ...     "
"     ... scan entries ...     "
"                              "

Clover 4091, High Sierra ready, released at sf.net.

Nope the same issue persists.

Same here.

Shouldn't this version removed ASAP? r4094 works fine.

Was the AMD graphics wakeup issue fixed finally?  Is it possible to switch primary bios display just before the amd driver will be loaded by using some kext or so? As I understand, the AMD card needs to be prevented to run the bios code?  So what if a kext would "hard reset" the amd card while boot sequence, before the graphics driver is loaded?

Was the AMD graphics wakeup issue fixed finally?  Is it possible to switch primary bios display just before the amd driver will be loaded by using some kext or so? As I understand, the AMD card needs to be prevented to run the bios code?  So what if a kext would "hard reset" the amd card while boot sequence, before the graphics driver is loaded?

Yes, but how?

I updated to the Clover r4091 and now I'm stuck here. Does anyone know how to solve it?

clover%20vinicius.jpg

Same problem here.

Had to revert to 4077...

Any conclusion here? HWP is turned off definitely after sleep. :(

It seems PC UEFI/BIOS make CPU initialization not as we want for macOS drivers. New kext needed.

Funky frank, on 20 Jun 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:snapback.png

Yes, but how?

That might be ONE solution, but please consider also, that we don't get BlackScreen if none of the AMDRadeonX4xx0.kexts get loaded (yes, we have NO accelleration than, but we also have NO BlackScreen problem).

So maybe there is just the right patch needed as for Intel HD5x0/6x0 gfx as done with Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup. But as long, as none of the main CLOVER coders (SLICE, SHERLOCK etc.) have one of these AMD cards on their own, and as long as those, who might have one of these cards, but not able to code - we may find never a solution.

And thats the reason, why i made the offer in this post here.

Good afternoon everyone! I'm not sure how graphics injection works, but since the Sierra I could no longer patch on the fly through Clover and when I put the framebuffer Baboon or Eulemur for my video card, which always worked previously, stays with screen Black (monitors turn off). I tried several things, but I did not want to have to modify the kext manually, so I did not have to do this at all update. Now I was thinking, if the bootloader is who tells the system what framebuffer to use, it will be that in the bootloader, the address of the framebuffer informed is outdated, thus causing a deviation of the AMD5000Controller.kext to a wrong address, making it impossible to be completed The patch?

Good afternoon everyone! I'm not sure how graphics injection works, but since the Sierra I could no longer patch on the fly through Clover and when I put the framebuffer Baboon or Eulemur for my video card, which always worked previously, stays with screen Black (monitors turn off). I tried several things, but I did not want to have to modify the kext manually, so I did not have to do this at all update. Now I was thinking, if the bootloader is who tells the system what framebuffer to use, it will be that in the bootloader, the address of the framebuffer informed is outdated, thus causing a deviation of the AMD5000Controller.kext to a wrong address, making it impossible to be completed The patch?

Any conclusion here? HWP is turned off definitely after sleep. :(

It seems PC UEFI/BIOS make CPU initialization not as we want for macOS drivers. New kext needed.

I just tested on my Skylake Intel NUC6i7KYK.

I'm using iMac17,1 with a modified plist in X86PlatformPlugin (one that enables HWP).

I used AppleIntelInfo.kext to determine HWP enablement before and after sleep.

My tests confirm that HWP is enabled after sleep.

My procedure:

- enable HWP (using an X86PlatformPlugin "symlink" injector kext with modified Resources/board-id plist)

- use kextutil to load AppleIntelInfo.kext prior to sleep

- check for HWP enablement in AppleIntelInfo output

- unload AppleIntelInfo.kext with kextunload

- rm /tmp/AppleIntelInfo.dat (just to make sure)

- sleep/wake

- use kextutil to load AppleIntelInfo.kext prior to sleep

- check for HWP enablement in AppleIntelInfo output

I saw iMac17,1, iMac18,x and even iMac19,1 (the coming iMac Pro) have no "hwp" power feature in their FreqeuncyVectors, unlike MacBook(Pro).

Maybe just like @Slice said, the mechanism is a little bit different...

I saw iMac17,1, iMac18,x and even iMac19,1 (the coming iMac Pro) have no "hwp" power feature in their FreqeuncyVectors, unlike MacBook(Pro).

Maybe just like @Slice said, the mechanism is a little bit different...

It is why I added HWP to my iMac17,1 X86PlatformPlugin injector kext.

hey wanted to tell you about a issue with 10.13 for my 290x 

so i use a bios mod to use multi monitors and have sleep work oob 

it worked in 10.12 and to 10.10 

the issue is when i try and boot with the bios mod on it never happens anymore so did anything change gfx wise with 10.13 and clover because ozmosis can still boot bios mod way

It is why I added HWP to my iMac17,1 X86PlatformPlugin injector kext.

Yes... I've also done the same thing a little bit earlier. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320517-pre-release-macos-sierra-10124/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2368367)

But, has Apple really enabled HWP for their real iMac? Unfortunately I don't have such models and therefore I can't check it. IMO, it's very likely that, Apple doesn't enable HWP for iMac.

Yes... I've also done the same thing a little bit earlier. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320517-pre-release-macos-sierra-10124/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2368367)

But, has Apple really enabled HWP for their real iMac? Unfortunately I don't have such models and therefore I can't check it. IMO, it's very likely that, Apple doesn't enable HWP for iMac.

iMac17,1 is not enabled by Apple provided plists.

I haven't checked the other new iMac plists.

You can check easily with freqVectorsEdit.sh.

iMac17,1 is not enabled by Apple provided plists.

I haven't checked the other new iMac plists.

You can check easily with freqVectorsEdit.sh.

Well, I've checked it earlier today, the same on iMac18,x and iMac19,1, no HWP support in their FrequencyVectors.

So thing is. Why Apple don't enable HWP for iMac...

Well, I've checked it earlier today, the same on iMac18,x and iMac19,1, no HWP support in their FrequencyVectors.

So thing is. Why Apple don't enable HWP for iMac...

They probably find it can affect performance negatively on desktops or has no positive effect at all...  I have seen the same...

Point is though... easy to add HWP to your chosen SMBIOS... and then it will be restored across sleep/wake cycle.

They probably find it can affect performance negatively on desktops or has no positive effect at all...  I have seen the same...

Point is though... easy to add HWP to your chosen SMBIOS... and then it will be restored across sleep/wake cycle.

In this case, I think it's better for us to follow Apple, not enabling HWP for now on desktops.

Ah yes... Just adding related power features.

It won't be too complex I guess, with the help of some kexts that help us write corresponding MSRs.

(I don't own any Skylake+ desktops to test though...)

Without speedstep and without HWP I have 3300MHz only and T=30 maximum. So yes, I wish not reduce performance for the aim of CPU cooling.

IMO it must bring negative effects to performance without SpeedStep. HWP can be just a small part of PM, it doesn't really matter. :)

In this case, I think it's better for us to follow Apple, not enabling HWP for now on desktops.

Ah yes... Just adding related power features.

It won't be too complex I guess, with the help of some kexts that help us write corresponding MSRs.

(I don't own any Skylake+ desktops to test though...)

IMO it must bring negative effects to performance without SpeedStep. HWP can be just a small part of PM, it doesn't really matter. :)

No special kext necessary for HWP enabling (including after sleep/wake).  The code is already in the kernel/X86PlatformPlugin.

Agree probably best to avoid HWP on desktop (even though it works), as Apple is not using it.  But it is still interesting to experiment with it...

Same here.

Shouldn't this version removed ASAP? r4094 works fine.

You got it to upgrade with r4094? I couldn't find 94 but I just tried 97 but no luck. Care to provide the download link for 4094?

Edit : Just tried 4094. No dice