ErmaC

Clover General discussion

19,137 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Clover Configurator currently doesn't support:

- Devices/Arbitrary (it will remove the entire section if present!)

- Disabled flag in ACPI/DSDT/Patches (it will remove the flag)

- Disabled flag in ACPI/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch (it will remove the flag)

- there may be others...

In addition some DSDT/Fixes are misspelled. I don't have a complete list, but as an example... if you edit a file with FIX_TMR_40000, it will remove it because it is misspelled as FiX_TMR_40000 in the CC code (note lower case 'i'). I'm not sure if there are other examples.

Also, the tool adds settings that were not previously present, and re-orders everything. It is mess if you use source control (git/svn).

Problem is one of design. Removing entries that CC doesn't understand is bad design. The file contents should be kept in original order. Entries that are not present should not be added.

Noob trying to learn.

I think I just read the above quote and more puzzle pieces coming together.

So Clover is the bootloader (Only used to get software installed and keep the EFI in order?)

Clover Configurator is NOT made by the same people and removes things that coders of clover would not have done?

I am looking at starting over with a new clover setup because of trying tooo many pathches and bad kext left my current clover set up a little confusing.

If the above is true then I am assuming that I

1.) Need to find out how to create a new clover install without using configuator.

2.) Do all edits through DSDT editor like MaciAsl and Plist editors

3.) All kekts can be moved to the correct S/L/E or Extra folder and injected using terminal or Kext injector software (The version mentioned in the beginning of this forum)

4.) Clover is more manual than clover configurator but when you know what you are doing that is the best way?

Sorry if I am missing things it is just that the more I read the more confused i get especially being new and sometimes I will be reading something only to find out I do not need it for the build I have.

So Clover is the bootloader (Only used to get software installed and keep the EFI in order?)

Clover is an extended Boot Manager to provide an OS X-compatible environment, it doesn't keep anything EFI "in order".

Clover Configurator is NOT made by the same people and removes things that coders of clover would not have done?

Aye.

3.) All kekts can be moved to the correct S/L/E or Extra folder and injected using terminal or Kext injector software (The version mentioned in the beginning of this forum)

There is no 'Extra' folder for Clover, use EFI/Clover. Putting a kext into Clover's folder doesn't require Terminal or extra software.

4.) Clover is more manual than clover configurator but when you know what you are doing that is the best way?

I have no idea what that means, but if you are asking that using the Clover installer is 'more manual' than using the Configurator, there practically isn't any difference. The only thing the Configurator provides is a fancy GUI rather than the bare plist content.

The BooterConfig entry explained here:             #7            

/* Bitfields for boot_args->flags */
#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic    (1 << 0)
#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI            (1 << 1)
#define kBootArgsFlagBlack            (1 << 2)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig	(1 << 3)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig	(1 << 4)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot          (1 << 5)
#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg          (1 << 6)
#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI          (1 << 7)

..is what you need (bit fields with black options)

Thanks for the reply I'm confused by (1 << 6).  I believe I need something like this below but what flag for black I don't know how to convert to number value. 

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>??</string>

</dict>

Clover is an extended Boot Manager to provide an OS X-compatible environment, it doesn't keep anything EFI "in order".

Aye.

There is no 'Extra' folder for Clover, use EFI/Clover. Putting a kext into Clover's folder doesn't require Terminal or extra software.

I have no idea what that means, but if you are asking that using the Clover installer is 'more manual' than using the Configurator, there practically isn't any difference. The only thing the Configurator provides is a fancy GUI rather than the bare plist content.

Thanks for replying. As far as the difference between them yes your explanation is what I was thinking.

The Extra folder is throwing me off a little I will need to check what I have set up.

2 more questions.

1.) Does clover configurator use the clover folder? So if I manually access the EFI/Clover folder on my hack then I am in the folder that clover installer made?

2.) If I just add .kext files to the kext folder inside the EFI/Clover folders that have the operating numbers on them then they are injected?

2a Is there a way to see what kexts are loaded? The reason I ask is I think I have some that I need to remove because of the configurator and some old youtube videos.

Thanks for the reply I'm confused by (1 << 6).  I believe I need something like this below but what flag for black I don't know how to convert to number value. 

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>??</string>

</dict>

The example show 0x28 for Yosemite and El Capitan... why not use that?

Guys, any idea how to fix a non-bootable system due to dual-monitors? It boots fine with a single monitor, but it goes into some sort of boot loop (monitor goes to sleep) when loading second stage boot.

Is there a way to fix this via device-properties? Or something from Clover?

1<<6 is "1 shift left 6". This is C code.

Given binary representation, "1 shift left 6" is the same as 0x40 (64 decimal).

Hi Guys,

and again I need some help. As I had written some topics in the past few weeks about my x58 update from 10.9.5 chameleon to 10.10.5 clover I was stucked at many different steps. But in the end, I'am up and running with my clover 3220 EFI only installation on my Samsung SSD connected to my ICH10 SATA2 port, dsdt fixes for Audio, Trim (which does not work), USB3.0 from my pci-e Asus U3S6 extention card, some HW Monitoring working, GTX970 fixes etc.

But now, I'm stucked again regarding booting my Yosemite Installation using clover but not connecting the SSD to the ICH10 SATA2 port instead using the SATA3 Port on the U3S6 pci-e card. In my newest Asus P6T-SE Bios, every SSD attached to the pcie extention card is shown up (IDE Card which is AHCI redirected due to some bios post messages of the Asus pcie card and the customer support). When I use a second SSD with a mirrored Yosemite installation, clover in efi only installation, boot0af information, my config, kext, dsdt etc. this puppy boots from the ICH10 (sure it should), but not from the pcie extention card. first boot stage does work, but then it fails to boot into second stage where I can choose my different ssd os x yosemite and windows installations. instead, it boots into my main Yosemite Samsung SSD clover installation where I can boot into Yosemite Main installation, but the mirrored Yosemite SSD attached to the pcie extention card is not recognized.

A member, Chris, posted to my questions in another topic, that he uses another expansion card on another motherboard without any problems (for booting up using clover): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/?p=2206454

Can Anyone give me any advice? Due to some other topics in the internet, the Asus U3S6 should be accepting every possible boot. I haven't tried any Windows installation at the moment as a reference point. 

Guys, any idea how to fix a non-bootable system due to dual-monitors? It boots fine with a single monitor, but it goes into some sort of boot loop (monitor goes to sleep) when loading second stage boot.

Is there a way to fix this via device-properties? Or something from Clover?

This seems to be a common thing with the newer nvidia cards.  I have the same problem with my 960.  Changing your system definition to imac14,2 is supposed to fix it.  For me that's not an option because my system is too old.

This seems to be a common thing with the newer nvidia cards.  I have the same problem with my 960.  Changing your system definition to imac14,2 is supposed to fix it.  For me that's not an option because my system is too old.

Actually this is not for the system in my signature. It's for a GT 630 combined with a i3 3220 @ 3.3 GHz CPU and Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard. But I guess that doesn't help much, does it? :(

I feel like this could be pretty easily solved with a device-properties edit. But I just don't know what to edit.

I'm not able to boot Recovery HD (the PC reboot itself) with my custom config.plist on a Z77E-ITX. I've made some trial with a pendrive and figure out that I can do it avoiding "Custom Entries" (used to hide three recovery partition) and all the kext to patch booting from USB. Not a big deal, but now I want to do same from the HDD and I don't understand how to boot with this alternative config (named config1.plist) from Clover GUI. I've tried to change in option config with config1, but it does'n work. What I'm doing wrong?

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>??</string>

</dict>

You can try to enable bit 2 = 4 or bit 6 = 0x40 (64) BlackBG background ??, please correct me if i am wrong

I have tried to enable the HiDPI bit but no changes 

kBootArgsFlagBlack is the bitfield to set to have the black background + white progress bar (kBootArgsFlagHiDPI to have a bigger one, as well for the logo)

that is what you can find in the xnu kernel in El Capitan:

#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic (1 << 0)

#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI (1 << 1)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlack (1 << 2)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig (1 << 3)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode (1 << 4)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot (1 << 5)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg (1 << 6)

#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI (1 << 7)

#define kBootArgsFlagInstallUI (1 << 8)

...here in Yosemite:

#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic (1 << 0)

#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI (1 << 1)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlack (1 << 2)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig (1 << 3)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig (1 << 4)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot (1 << 5)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg (1 << 6)

#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI (1 << 7)

Hi Guys,

and again I need some help. As I had written some topics in the past few weeks about my x58 update from 10.9.5 chameleon to 10.10.5 clover I was stucked at many different steps. But in the end, I'am up and running with my clover 3220 EFI only installation on my Samsung SSD connected to my ICH10 SATA2 port, dsdt fixes for Audio, Trim (which does not work), USB3.0 from my pci-e Asus U3S6 extention card, some HW Monitoring working, GTX970 fixes etc.

But now, I'm stucked again regarding booting my Yosemite Installation using clover but not connecting the SSD to the ICH10 SATA2 port instead using the SATA3 Port on the U3S6 pci-e card. In my newest Asus P6T-SE Bios, every SSD attached to the pcie extention card is shown up (IDE Card which is AHCI redirected due to some bios post messages of the Asus pcie card and the customer support). When I use a second SSD with a mirrored Yosemite installation, clover in efi only installation, boot0af information, my config, kext, dsdt etc. this puppy boots from the ICH10 (sure it should), but not from the pcie extention card. first boot stage does work, but then it fails to boot into second stage where I can choose my different ssd os x yosemite and windows installations. instead, it boots into my main Yosemite Samsung SSD clover installation where I can boot into Yosemite Main installation, but the mirrored Yosemite SSD attached to the pcie extention card is not recognized.

A member, Chris, posted to my questions in another topic, that he uses another expansion card on another motherboard without any problems (for booting up using clover): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/?p=2206454

Can Anyone give me any advice? Due to some other topics in the internet, the Asus U3S6 should be accepting every possible boot. I haven't tried any Windows installation at the moment as a reference point. 

That card does not have an EFI bios on it so will not be bootable or seen until the system boots unless you use legacy boot.  So this is not a Clover problem.

@arsradu For trial & error purposes, injecting our additional gpu properties via efistrings/dsdt is such of bad choices. Do that after successfully reach the desktop, and lock your fixed settings with efistrings/dsdt later. No need to delete previously efistrings since Clover now able to en/disable that setting from boot gui. You may try to reverse "AAPL,boot-display" value to other working port.