ErmaC

Clover General discussion

19,286 posts in this topic

hey! i got two questions:

1:

here in post #10 slice talks about the possibility to set different settings for different cards but i don't quiet get it get it how i should alter my config.plist to use this?

i run three GPUs in my machine of which two need injection. right now i have do do the settings manually in clover at boot.

2:

clover is also able to boot linux which is great. but is there any way the pass more arguments to the kernel (aka bootflags?)

Cheers

Advertisement

Just downloading the final version of El capitan after patiently waiting out the beta period.

I just wanted to check the key things I need to change from upgrading from a working Yosemite install:

I'm on clover version 3259 and my config.plist currently has only: `<key>RtVariables</key> <dict> <key>MLB</key> <string>C07039601ANDD17DV</string> <key>ROM</key> <string>78ca392e 3bb0</string> </dict>

I take it I need to add in the two additional keys  - booterconfig with string as 0x28 and csractiveconfig with the string as either 0x67 or 0x77. (but if I pick one of those values for csractiveconfig I'll still get some SIP error messages - is that right?) However if I make it 0x11 will those SIP messages disappear? Is the issue with going with 0x11 is that  it isn't advisable to copy kexts to /Library/extensions (does that makes things unstable?)

I only have a few kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10. AppleIntelE1000e.kext FakeSMC.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext realtekALC.kext (I take it these need to be copied to the 10.11 folder?)

I can see FakeSMC.kext in /System/Library/extensions - but none of the others (are these not being injected?)

Do I also need to turn off kext-dv-mode=1 boot option (or is it just ignored now? Any other things to be wary off?

Thanks.

Setup is

Intel core i5 4570

Gigabyte Z87m-D3h

Nvidia 780 ti

Just downloading the final version of El capitan after patiently waiting out the beta period.

I just wanted to check the key things I need to change from upgrading from a working Yosemite install:

I'm on clover version 3259 and my config.plist currently has only: `<key>RtVariables</key> <dict> <key>MLB</key> <string>C07039601ANDD17DV</string> <key>ROM</key> <string>78ca392e 3bb0</string> </dict>

I take it I need to add in the two additional keys  - booterconfig with string as 0x28 and csractiveconfig with the string as either 0x67 or 0x77. (but if I pick one of those values for csractiveconfig I'll still get some SIP error messages - is that right?) However if I make it 0x11 will those SIP messages disappear? Is the issue with going with 0x11 is that  it isn't advisable to copy kexts to /Library/extensions (does that makes things unstable?)

I only have a few kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10. AppleIntelE1000e.kext FakeSMC.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext realtekALC.kext (I take it these need to be copied to the 10.11 folder?)

I can see FakeSMC.kext in /System/Library/extensions - but none of the others (are these not being injected?)

Do I also need to turn off kext-dv-mode=1 boot option (or is it just ignored now? Any other things to be wary off?

Thanks.

Setup is

Intel core i5 4570

Gigabyte Z87m-D3h

Nvidia 780 ti

You've got green light to update.

1. Move your kexts from Clover/kexts/10.10 to 10.11 (as you suspected). Or copy them if you're planning on keeping Yosemite and installing El Capitan on a different partition, but on the same HDD/SSD.

2. You don't need to add RT Variables. I think Clover will add them anyway on new installations. However, if you want to add them manually, yes 0x28 for BooterConfig and 0x67 for CsrActiveConfig will disable SIP enough to give access to pretty much everything. You can tweak that later on, don't worry about it. You can boot just as well with 0x28 and 0x1. So..yeah, just go ahead and update.

3. kext-dev-mode=1 is not needed in El Capitan (it's got SIP now). So if you're not planning on getting back to Yosemite, you can remove that with no problem.

4. you don't need copy anything to S/L/E. It's not needed. Clover injection works beautifully from EFI. Also, you should not have custom kexts in both places (S/L/E and Clover/kexts/10.x)

You can use Clover Configurator for a more user-friendly editing interface for your config.plist. Just make sure it's the latest version (I think 4.24 is the latest one.)

You've got green light to update.

1. Move your kexts from Clover/kexts/10.10 to 10.11 (as you suspected). Or copy them if you're planning on keeping Yosemite and installing El Capitan on a different partition, but on the same HDD/SSD.

2. You don't need to add RT Variables. I think Clover will add them anyway on new installations. However, if you want to add them manually, yes 0x28 for BooterConfig and 0x67 for CsrActiveConfig will disable SIP enough to give access to pretty much everything. You can tweak that later on, don't worry about it. You can boot just as well with 0x28 and 0x1. So..yeah, just go ahead and update.

3. kext-dev-mode=1 is not needed in El Capitan (it's got SIP now). So if you're not planning on getting back to Yosemite, you can remove that with no problem.

4. you don't need copy anything to S/L/E. It's not needed. Clover injection works beautifully from EFI. Also, you should not have custom kexts in both places (S/L/E and Clover/kexts/10.x)

You can use Clover Configurator for a more user-friendly editing interface for your config.plist. Just make sure it's the latest version (I think 4.24 is the latest one.)

Friend and the flag: "Rootless = 1", you will be required in the El Capitan yet?

Friend and the flag: "Rootless = 1", you will be required in the El Capitan yet?

No. If you set Rt Variables, "rootless=1" is not required. Also, I'm pretty sure it's already obsolete.

Brilliant thanks

- from your comment - "you should not have custom kexts in both places"  - Does that mean I should remove the FakeSMC.kext which is is /S/L/E and also in clover/kexts/10.x?

Yup I use clover configurator - it's handy. I'm on the 4.24 version but it doesn't seem to have an option (in boot?) for RT Variables -> BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig.  Not a big deal as I can edit config.plist manually.

- from your comment - "you should not have custom kexts in both places"  - Does that mean I should remove the FakeSMC.kext which is is /S/L/E and also in clover/kexts/10.x?

No, just keep your custom kexts in one place: Clover/kexts/10.x.  Not in Clover and also in S/L/E. But in one place only. And I would recommend that place to be in Clover's kexts folder.

Clover Configurator has a dedicated RtVariables section (separate from Boot). That's where you need to add those values.

Upgraded all seems ok apart from the nvidia web driver is saying it's not compatible and there is no update? The version is: 346.02.03f01.

Anyone else got it working? 

(using 780ti)

@Slice:

I've noticed after updating to the newest r3277 (from r3228), that if one doesn't set the property CsrActiveConfig , clover will then set it to 0x67, which disables the entire SIP.

I think it is a security vulnerability. 

Wouldn't it be better to document the feature in the wiki and let the end user decide, if they want to disable SIP or not?

Sorry, if it has been already discussed...

I agree, I think Clover should only automatically allow unsigned kexts by default (0x11 IIRC) only if the NVRAM variable csr-active-config doesn't exist (not the Clover CsrActiveConfig property).

Upgraded all seems ok apart from the nvidia web driver is saying it's not compatible and there is no update? The version is: 346.02.03f01.

Anyone else got it working? 

(using 780ti)

You need the newest Beta driver. Currently version 346.03.01b07.

Here you go.

I agree, I think Clover should only automatically allow unsigned kexts by default (0x11 IIRC) only if the NVRAM variable csr-active-config doesn't exist (not the Clover CsrActiveConfig property).

No, not that even. Just have the feature and let the user decide what to do, would be more secure way.

I'm aware, that it might be difficult for many users, but the security should be more important, than anyone, who can't read wiki's...

Its possible to add a folder, where i can put all my kexts in, for every OS ?

I mean, i need to put 6Kexts into 10.11 folder and the same 6 in 10.10 folder... useless space consumption...

It works if i delete 10.10 & 10.11 folder and put them all in Others folder, but if i update clover, 10.10 and 10.11 folder is back and they are empty and it doesn't inject... so i need to delete them again after update...

Cheers :-)

Its possible to add a folder, where i can put all my kexts in, for every OS ?

I mean, i need to put 6Kexts into 10.11 folder and the same 6 in 10.10 folder... useless space consumption...

It works if i delete 10.10 & 10.11 folder and put them all in Others folder, but if i update clover, 10.10 and 10.11 folder is back and they are empty and it doesn't inject... so i need to delete them again after update...

This is very old disscussion what is more convenient. One think that second think other.

For my mind, for my kexts from signature, a kext for 10.6 will work in 10.11.

Bright exception is AppleHDA that I don't use. It is always system specific.

So I think it will be good to support a folder "Common" with system independent kexts. But this is a problem to keep two different pathes where Clover should  take kexts Only one folder.  :(

Discuss?

This is very old disscussion what is more convenient. One think that second think other.

So I think it will be good to support a folder "Common" with system independent kexts. But this is a problem to keep two different pathes where Clover should  take kexts Only one folder.  :(

Discuss?

Can we check if a folder is empty (or check for files with extension *.kext under those folders)? Also, can we check OS version before looking for kexts in Clover/kexts/10.x ? If so, can we do something like this?

1. Check OS version.

2. Check for kexts in the corresponding folder for that version

3. If the folder is empty or doesn't have any *.kext files, move on to the Others folders and look under there.

4. If that one is empty as well, tough luck. :)

But I'm just saying, if we can check if a folder is empty, or doesn't have any kexts in it (you can put txt in it, but that won't help you boot :)) ), then let's check if those folders have what they need to perform a boot. If not, check under Others. Don't check if the folder exists, but rather, if the folder contains the stuff the system needs to boot.

Second variant (but I don't know how efficient would that be) is to look for kexts under any of those folders. And try to boot using the kexts from wherever you can find them. That would kinda cancel the reason for having multiple folders in the first place.

I don't know. Just a few ideas off the top of my head. 

Hmm I may have spoken too soon about an easy upgrade to El capitan.  It appears the sound is broken.   In the system report-> Audio I can see Intel High Definition Audio.  But under the sound options in preferences there is nothing to choose under "Selected sound output device".

The kext in EFI/clover/kext/10.11 is realtekALC.kext  (my motherboard is Gigabyte z87-d3h (which uses realktek ALC892)

(clover congiruator has audio set to 1 - unchanged from my yosemite install)

It did work previously under Yosemite.  (the only other thing is I can hear the speakers pop when I boot up).

Any ideas what may be the issue?

Thanks. 

My config.plist http://txt.do/a2hrg

Hmm I may have spoken too soon about an easy upgrade to El capitan.  It appears the sound is broken.   In the system report-> Audio I can see Intel High Definition Audio.  But under the sound options in preferences there is nothing to choose under "Selected sound output device".

The kext in EFI/clover/kext/10.11 is realtekALC.kext  (my motherboard is Gigabyte z87-d3h (which uses realktek ALC892)

It did work previously under Yosemite.  (the only other thing is I can hear the speakers pop when I boot up).

Thanks. 

Yes, patch your sound again.

If you're using Toleda's patching script, good job! Just make sure it's the latest version (last time I checked it was version "e" or something like that).

Also, according to your config, you need to allow the system to load unsigned kexts. In RtVariables, add BooterConfig 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig 0x67. FYI, 0x67 will allow access to a lot more than just unsigned kexts. But just to reduce the number of variables in this equation, allowing access to pretty much everything, for now, is a good place to start. You can diminish the access level afterwards, depending on your needs/preference

I'm not sure if it's the same with Yosemite, but coming from Mavericks I had to add an additional binpatch for ALC898 (zeroing out ADI1983) to get it working again.

Also, I'm booting with CsrActiveConfig set to 0x03 but I haven't set/changed BooterConfig from whatever Clover defaults it to.

For the kext folders, I think arsradu's way works. Having a common kexts folder means not having to create a 10.xx folder for every required system version. For my X79, I use the same kexts for all systems so all the 10.xx folders are identical.

Slice, did you see my post here about my HDEF injection problem? It looks like a bug.

Thanks. 

1. Repatch AppleHDA, like asradu said,

2. On 10.11, applehda (or dummy) injection doesn't work anymore, since Resources folder can't be injected, so use it in SLE or LE.

Discuss?

Common folder is a very good idea, or the Others way, like asradu said is a good idea too...

i have a qustion, which folder uses the single user mode? (i use the Others folder for this) & which folder uses the installer, the normal (10.11) one?

and how i can check the limit of injection, i mean i haven't unlimited free space in the cache... or how this works?

And other question xD i know its discussed very much...

But if i going to patch applehda with clover,

1. i need to patch info.plist (that is possible already)

2. i need to inject Layout and Platform (.xml or .zml) into resources folder ( but there is no way atm on 10.11, right? )

And other question xD i know its discussed very much...

But if i going to patch applehda with clover,

1. i need to patch info.plist (that is possible already)

2. i need to inject Layout and Platform (.xml or .zml) into resources folder ( but there is no way atm on 10.11, right? )

I would strongly recommend using toleda's script to patch audio. It's an awesome script. And it does everything for you. Oh, yes, and it works perfectly with 10.11.

Why threre is no respons about my comment :(

What's wrong?

We don't like your nose. :P

Joking, of course. There are not many people who have the newer Skylake processors yet. So not many can confirm that or work on a fix for that. I'm sure the guys here will take a look at that and fix it, if indeed is a real issue, if it's a Clover issue, and if it's not just a simple layout/cosmetic issue. :) Either way, a bit of patience would be nice.