ErmaC

Clover General discussion

22,333 posts in this topic

So anyway, I was curious about the slide values (other than 0) and how that may possibly help the resume?

or anyone has some thoughts or ideas on how to resume from hibernation without blank screen?

I think you may be right about the hibernation mode you are using (7 bit 111), but, if i'm not wrong (and probably I am, as I'm not

even close to a low level programmer :D ), using bit 2 will enable encryption right? 

The slide=0 was a workaround made to force boot.efi to be loaded at a specific memory block, and it's needed since Mountain Lion...

Nowadays, it's automatically set (slide=0), without the need of the user manually add it... 

dmazar gave us some formulas and complete instructions on what are the best memory regions to use, and on how to use this regions by setting

its slide value at Clover, obviously, different than 0...

It was a HUGE amount of information, that unfortunately was lost, and maybe, only dmazar will have a documentation...

Advertisement

Still have problem with clover updates.After update to newer versions cant boot the system no more.How to solve the problem?

I think you may be right about the hibernation mode you are using (7 bit 111), but, if i'm not wrong (and probably I am, as I'm not

even close to a low level programmer :D ), using bit 2 will enable encryption right? 

The slide=0 was a workaround made to force boot.efi to be loaded at a specific memory block, and it's needed since Mountain Lion...

Nowadays, it's automatically set (slide=0), without the need of the user manually add it... 

dmazar gave us some formulas and complete instructions on what are the best memory regions to use, and on how to use this regions by setting

its slide value at Clover, obviously, different than 0...

It was a HUGE amount of information, that unfortunately was lost, and maybe, only dmazar will have a documentation...

Stuff was not really 'lost', it's simply not put up in a single place once again... anything specific you want to know?

Stuff was not really 'lost', it's simply not put up in a single place once again...

Oh! Nice to hear this!

There are some users wanting to know more about Secure Boot, that was implemented by apianti, but wasn't finished... The whole "known" research was at ProjectOSX...

The same for OsxAptioFixDrv, its variants...

This, not taking in count many other "great" stuff like Pene's PatchVBios findings...

It would be a great thing have it again at a known place!

anything specific you want to know?

No, I don't want nothing specific for now...

Thank you!

I can say digest.

About hibernation.

$ man pmset 

will tell you more then I can say.

0 is a simple sleep. Good for desktop but eat battery power on notebooks.

1 is hibernation. 

Other flags (hex numbers while pmset set decimal!!!!)

enum
{
    kIOHibernateModeOn      = 0x00000001,
    kIOHibernateModeSleep   = 0x00000002,
    kIOHibernateModeEncrypt = 0x00000004,
    kIOHibernateModeDiscardCleanInactive = 0x00000008,
    kIOHibernateModeDiscardCleanActive   = 0x00000010,
    kIOHibernateModeSwitch	= 0x00000020,
    kIOHibernateModeRestart	= 0x00000040,
    kIOHibernateModeSSDInvert	= 0x00000080,
    kIOHibernateModeFileResize	= 0x00000100,
};

Working solution found with flags 21, 29, 57. Decimal!!!

21 = 0x15 = kIOHibernateModeDiscardCleanActive + kIOHibernateModeEncrypt + kIOHibernateModeOn

29 = 0x15 + 8 -> + kIOHibernateModeDiscardCleanInactive

57 = 0x30 + 8 + 1 = kIOHibernateModeSwitch + Clean + Hibernate

Strange about encrypt but it seems works not as expected.

Hibernation works since 10.9.1. No solutions for 10.8. Some success for 10.7 but unconfirmed.

Hibernation works with legacy Clover but not with UEFI because of wrong OsxAptioFixDrv.

Dmazar created special version OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi which compatible with hibernation. But this version loads only 10.9. No way to load 10.7. I don't know about Yosemite.

About OsxAptioFix variants.

This is very complex driver that attempts to correct memory map left after UEFI on the fly.

Memory map from legacy Clover is very good.

The problem is different OEM UEFI BIOSes have different mistakes and the OsxAptioFix can't be universal.

So different versions of the driver created:

- one works for AMI UEFI

- another works for Phoenix

- third correct hibernation

- fourth switch on hardware NVRAM.

I am happy with my Gigabyte H61 board. There is UEFI BIOS.

Main version of OsxAptioFix works for me loading 10.7.5 and 10.9.5 with working hardware NVRAM. 

UEFI hibernation no. It works with OsxAptioFix2Drv but without possibility to boot 10.7.5.

More question?

A developers may create own version of OsxAptioFix but users can not ask to create a version for him. It's impossible. It requires to have such hardware and spent several hours rebooting.

@artur Sorry, I don't have the posts backed up, I mean 'not lost' as in 'it's still in people's heads' ;)

@Slice AptioFix2 works for any version of OS X AptioFix does, though the issue is kernel cannot slide prior to Mountain Lion... so, if the default kernel address is occupied, there is no way OS X < Mountain Lion can load. Would probably be extremely helpful to find out which kind of data lie around there. ;) It works for Yosemite as well btw.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but it might be an idea to move all BootServicesData and similar data types into a reserved area (which would break many UEFI funcs) and if boot.efi fails to load, move them back (so functionality is restored). Of course only works if nothing relevant for basic BS/RT is stored in the kernel address space... Hope someone is interested looking into it!

@Slice AptioFix2 works for any version of OS X AptioFix does, though the issue is kernel cannot slide prior to Mountain Lion... so, if the default kernel address is occupied, there is no way OS X

Just to note that I can boot into 10.7.5 with UEFI + OsxAptioFix first version, not 2.

Just to note that I can boot into 10.7.5 with UEFI + OsxAptioFix first version, not 2.

Well, then as I said, the default kernel area is occupied. ;)

AptioFix moves the kernel to a whole different location, so hard to compare the two anyway. Though if you have a board that has the position free (wasn't it 0x100000 or something like that?), AptioFix2 will work just as fine.

Well, then as I said, the default kernel area is occupied. ;)

AptioFix moves the kernel to a whole different location, so hard to compare the two anyway. Though if you have a board that has the position free (wasn't it 0x100000 or something like that?), AptioFix2 will work just as fine.

Fritz, since you seem to know a bit about AptioFix2: can you tell me why I am getting an error when trying to do  safe boot? See this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page-342?do=findComment&comment=2130496

Hi there,

seems I cannot boot into safe mode anymore. Instead I get this:

Y59smGD.jpg

Because this happens very early (seems my comp cannot even load kernelcache), I think it might be connected to Clover?

Any ideas what could cause this?

Looking at your signature, you have 2x1 TB SSD and 2x3 TB HDD...

You have OS X installed at a FusionDrive or a RAID set? If yes, there's no way to make a SafeBoot or to boot without kext caches...

Any kind of Core Storage devices doesn't exists at the bootloader level, only at OS level, and because of this, there's no device to read from...

Looking at your signature, you have 2x1 TB SSD and 2x3 TB HDD...

You have OS X installed at a FusionDrive or a RAID set? If yes, there's no way to make a SafeBoot or to boot without kext caches...

Nope, just dual boot on separate partitions. Think it's a problem with AptioFix2, since it works with AptioFix - but with the older version I do not have native NVRAM anymore, so of course I'd prefer to boot with AptioFix2

i cant make clover to boot my intelhdgraphs arrandale properly in 10.11. has acceleration but the screen is all messy. no matter what options i mark. i managed to install it and patched the FB, but no solution for it yet. and i had the same problem with 10.10.

any tips about it?

The LAPIC patch in Clover is not working with 10.11.  For now, it's cpus=1 for me and probably many other HP laptop owners.  Perhaps, Donovan6000 will find the location in the kernel to patch it.  Does that mean, however, that we will have to wait for the kernel source code to be made public?

The LAPIC patch in Clover is not working with 10.11.  For now, it's cpus=1 for me and probably many other HP laptop owners.  Perhaps, Donovan6000 will find the location in the kernel to patch it.  Does that mean, however, that we will have to wait for the kernel source code to be made public?

that can take some time...

Hey guys, has anyone found a fix for the "Timeout 0" issue?

I'm still getting the prompt without auto selection with it unless I use "Timeout 1".

Hey guys, has anyone found a fix for the "Timeout 0" issue?

I'm still getting the prompt without auto selection with it unless I use "Timeout 1".

Install a theme. Its the only way I get timeout=0 working!!!

Hello, I'm currently experiencing some problems which might damage my hardware later in the future.

Problem with shutdown and restart. Sometimes my machine restarts well, but the other times it shuts down rather than restart itself.

Same goes with shutdown.

Sometimes it shuts properly, the other times it's stuck with black screen and machine is still running(though no hdd activity, can tell it from led), so I need to force shutdown using the power button.

Any ideas on this? I tried FixShutdown in Clover but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Please help!

Install a theme. Its the only way I get timeout=0 working!!!

Thanks for the hint Dr. Hurt.

I tried with embedded theme without success. Would you mind sharing the settings you're using that work?

Hello, I'm currently experiencing some problems which might damage my hardware later in the future.

Problem with shutdown and restart. Sometimes my machine restarts well, but the other times it shuts down rather than restart itself.

Same goes with shutdown.

Sometimes it shuts properly, the other times it's stuck with black screen and machine is still running(though no hdd activity, can tell it from led), so I need to force shutdown using the power button.

Any ideas on this? I tried FixShutdown in Clover but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Please help!

Set HaltEnabler=true in config.plist

Thanks for the hint Dr. Hurt.

I tried with embedded theme without success. Would you mind sharing the settings you're using that work?

Yes, Timeout=0 is not working with embedded theme.

It works with any other theme.

Set HaltEnabler=true in config.plist

Yes, Timeout=0 is not working with embedded theme.

It works with any other theme.

Hello. Thanks for the reply Slice.

I did that too but the problem remains.

Hello. Thanks for the reply Slice.

I did that too but the problem remains.

Hello..please wich Aptiofix use you?

@Sergey , also had a similar problem on an asus, and I remember with AptioFix2 at that time I resolved, maybe he needs this driver...do you remember?

Friend how are you?

This year come on vacation to Naples? :lol: :lol: Many red wine for you and your family :wink_anim: :wink_anim:

@ Vandebergz please try this ...good luck

AptioFix2Test2.zip

What you "did that too"? Can you show boot.log?

Hello..please wich Aptiofix use you?

@Sergey , also had a similar problem on an asus, and I remember with AptioFix2 at that time I resolved, maybe he needs this driver...do you remember?

Friend how are you?

This year come on vacation to Naples? :lol: :lol: Many red wine for you and your family :wink_anim: :wink_anim:

@ Vandebergz please try this ...good luck

@Slice, Enabling Halt Enabler option in Clover... Anyway, I only found system.log, is it fine?

@magnifico, AptioFix2 ? I checked my EFI folder and turned out there are AptioFix and AptioFix2. Should I remove AptioFix?

system.log.zip