[SOLVED] Rampage III Extreme/i7 930/GTX680 - Can't even get into installer

ArcticZero

30 posts in this topic

Maybe I'll get a better response if I post my own topic on the issue.

First of all, here's my system:

i7 930 @ 4ghz

12GB DDR3-1600

GTX 680 2gb

Asus Rampage III Extreme (Bios 1502)

Corsair Force 3 120GB (Windows 7)

Seagate 500gb 7200.11 on onboard Intel SATA Controller, AHCI mode (for OS X)

8GB USB Flash Drive for installation

Snow Leopard install on VMWare for prepping bootable USB.

I've checked out numerous guides on how to install Mountain Lion on my PC (vanilla and myHack, don't want to try ###### type methods yet), but none of them get me to the install screen. They all fail a few seconds after the initial boot options screen with the error "Errors encountered while starting up the computer", after which it reboots in 5 seconds. I've tried -x, -s, -v, -f, PCIRootUID=0, PciRoot=1, GraphicsEnabler=No/Yes, none of which seem to matter.

The last kext that loads prior to it displaying that error is "TMSafetyNet.kext".

Any ideas? I don't seem to be making ANY progress and I'm just close to giving up since nobody seems to be experiencing the same issues.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I noticed we're both on X58 btw.

- Which smbios should I be using? I picked Mac Pro 4.1 because it featured an LGA1366 processor. Which one do you use?

- I followed http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-mountain-lion-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/, then http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/ when I got the error, but neither worked nor do either specify I have to get another version of AppleACPIPlatformFamily.kext.

- Got a link to the specific files I should be using? Perhaps yours would work in my case. :)

Thanks again!

Actually have had that VM image for a while now from when I purchased SL. I've installed OS X on several laptops already, but this would be my first time trying to dual boot with my existing Windows 7 install. But like I said, it won't even let me get into the installer, so I can't proceed. Specific assistance for my mobo would be much appreciated.

Any ideas where to get the specific versions I need of the files eep357 mentioned would also be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Actually have had that VM image for a while now from when I purchased SL. I've installed OS X on several laptops already, but this would be my first time trying to dual boot with my existing Windows 7 install. But like I said, it won't even let me get into the installer, so I can't proceed. Specific assistance for my mobo would be much appreciated.

Any ideas where to get the specific versions I need of the files eep357 mentioned would also be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

I recommend macpro11.3 personally. For it's cpu is i7-8xx quite similar to yours.

Your graphics card is quite new. Maybe in the coming iMacs, Apple will update to your card :D

Okay so I tried following the vanilla tutorial again, but this time overwriting AppleACPIPlatformFamily.kext with the SL version I found posted by eep357 on another topic. Still the same, stops after loading TMSafetyNet.kext with the generic "Errors encountered while starting up the computer" message. :(

What could be wrong? Also, can anyone give me a full list of BIOS settings on an Asus X58 board that I should be changing? I'm not sure where the problem lies as to why it won't even let me get into the installer.

EDIT: I'll try reverting my overclock to stock based on this thread http://www.insanelym...tial-kext-load/. If that works, I'm worried I won't be able to overclock my system at all to run ML. :(

EDIT2: Nope, removing my overclock didn't work. Must be some other BIOS setting or I don't know.

Okay so I tried following the vanilla tutorial again, but this time overwriting AppleACPIPlatformFamily.kext with the SL version I found posted by eep357 on another topic. Still the same, stops after loading TMSafetyNet.kext with the generic "Errors encountered while starting up the computer" message. :(

What could be wrong? Also, can anyone give me a full list of BIOS settings on an Asus X58 board that I should be changing? I'm not sure where the problem lies as to why it won't even let me get into the installer.

EDIT: I'll try reverting my overclock to stock based on this thread http://www.insanelym...tial-kext-load/. If that works, I'm worried I won't be able to overclock my system at all to run ML. :(

EDIT2: Nope, removing my overclock didn't work. Must be some other BIOS setting or I don't know.

boot with -v. this make you capable of solving problems more quickly.

I do boot with -v. I always do, I mentioned this in my first post. I even specified where it stops. :(

then you'd better upload the picture.

Up till now, delete that kext that causes panic.

Sure, here's the point where it stops:

2w2n0w7.jpg

Can't say for sure if a kext is causing the panic, since it gives me no details whatsoever as to what the problem is. After that line, it shows the Darwin x86 line again for less than a second, before automatically rebooting.

Sure, here's the point where it stops:

2w2n0w7.jpg

Can't say for sure if a kext is causing the panic, since it gives me no details whatsoever as to what the problem is. After that line, it shows the Darwin x86 line again for less than a second, before automatically rebooting.

AFAIK, this is not the case. It's not kernel panic which will make your hack stuck.

Sorry, I don't have a clear idea about issues related to reboot

I really don't understand what's wrong. If only someone could provide a list of BIOS settings I should be watching, if that's my problem. Or anything else. I'll try another USB drive if that works.

you can take pictures of your BIOS here.

Alright, I've attached screens from my BIOS.

Some other things I've tried:

- Moving blank HDD to Marvell controller.

- Using another USB drive for the installer.

- Reverting BIOS to stock, except setting SATA to AHCI mode.

Nothing. Stops at the same point, then reboots.

Anything else I should try? Anyone with an Asus X58 board who can offer assistance as well? :(

post-226621-0-78654900-1353155677_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-00832000-1353155681_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-55102100-1353155684_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-51093100-1353155687_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-01513500-1353155691_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-31204400-1353155694_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-69377000-1353155698_thumb.jpg

Update:

Setting "Execute disable bit" to enabled on my BIOS actually got me past that and into the actual verbose boot screen. Now I'm stuck on the gray screen with nothing moving/happening. Booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes gets me a black screen instead and the monitor loses signal. cpus=1 didn't make any difference.

Hey again, got more updates:

Success! Apparently the installer was working already, just that it was appearing on my second (HDMI) monitor. Unplugged my secondary display for simplicity's sake, and successfully installed Mountain Lion. Already copied NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext over post-install. However now I'm stuck when I try to boot into my new install. Attached screenshots of booting with and without -x. If I don't boot verbose, I just get the Apple logo with the spinning throbber.

Thanks for everyone trying to help so far, btw. Hope I get this at least to desktop soon so I can at least use it. :)

post-226621-0-38500300-1353169742_thumb.jpg

post-226621-0-50624200-1353169749_thumb.jpg

after you have booted -v into install have you repaired kext permissions with kext wizzard?

you could once in your install reinstall facksmc and null cpu powermanagment kext.

as preinstall mite not have loaded them propley then repair permissions and re boot

Repairing permissions worked, actually. I was finally able to boot into Mountain Lion. Thanks! :)

Also apparently FakeSMC.kext didn't copy over even if I remember doing so (noticed this while trying to set permissions for it via terminal).

Anyway, ML didn't detect my ethernet card for some reason, so I don't have internet access. Any idea how I can fix this so I can start debugging everything else?

P.S. I have the 10.7 Lion Rampage III Extreme DSDT. Should I just drop this into /Extra/ on my install directory and it should work just like that? Not sure how to install it.

yes you can do that. but i copy and past. but 10.7 mite be diffrent to 10.8 dsdt file

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/os-x-10-8-mountain-lion/ try here for internet kext

you need to look up your motherboard internet chipset and then find the kext file look on the asus site in specfactions

find out your internet chip set asus web site and look for the kest that suits the chip set