• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
meknb

Can't Boot Using KernelCache

12 posts in this topic

I'm trying to boot using KernelCache on Mountain Lion 10.8, If i try building the cache "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel"

I get Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386, i've reinstalled Mountain Lion a few times but still get this error every time.

If i do build the kernel cache, i used a script from ifire from another post, it builds the Extensions.mkext in the startup in caches, but my computer just reboots almost instantly using kernel cache i've got to boot using -f .

The only thing in my Extra folder is my dsdt, org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBios.plist.

In my system i've only patched a few file's and the only one's i've added are DellBluetoothHCI.kext , VoodooPS2Controller.kext,FakeSMC.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

Any help is much appreciated.

Advertisement

Thank's p.h but that didn't work it still reboots

I think it gets up to ACPI then reboots it goes that fast i can't really tell.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

PFM64 (36 cpu) 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000

afaik, ML only has a 64bit kernel ( x68) so i386 architecture isnt supported.

maybe one of your kexts is only 32bit.

look into system profiler, if you see any non 64 bit kexts ( extensions).

Thank's p.h but that didn't work it still reboots

I think it gets up to ACPI then reboots it goes that fast i can't really tell.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

PFM64 (36 cpu) 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000

Maybe this thread may help you:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280062-waiting-for-root-device-when-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/

Thanks ph i've used this patch and patched ioahci.blockstorage.kext to enable trim but the disk doesn't hang it just reboots the computer?

Is there any way to slow the boot so i can see where it fails ?

I have an argue here. Sure booting with kernel cache is faster to load kexts into RAM instead of reading from HDD, but taking into consideration that:

- it's a one time step till the need to reboot.

- it takes 18 sec for me from power up till getting the GUI.

- it's a Hac not a real Mac, we add/delete/modify many kexts so each time you will need to fix permissions and rebuild caches.

Does it worth all this efforts and patched kexts and DSDTs to save let's say 5-7 sec in the boot time ?

For me I would prefer more vanilla setup :)

the question is not the error message, tell us what you find in System/Lib/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

and by the way i personally just put the system to sleep ( so booting is done once a week)

Biso007 yes i agree mine boots in 26sec but it's not to save a few sec's off boot time it's the learning.

Westwaerts if i use sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel I get

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

If i use a script by ifire I get

kernelcache

Extensions.mkext

#!/bin/bash

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -debug -force -root /

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -root / -force

cd /System/Library/Caches

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

sleep3

Killall Terminal

sleep1

if i use sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel I get

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

same we all got, no extensions.mkext anymore, so have you tried to boot with that ?

same we all got, no extensions.mkext anymore, so have you tried to boot with that ?

It boot's fine if i use kernelCache=No, KernelCache=yes it just reboots.