Installation hangs

sanctified

23 posts in this topic

Machine: Pentium 4 3.2 HT (SSE3)

MOBO: Intel 865

OSX Release: Jas 10.4.6

The installation shows the grey screen error after I hit enter in the darwin boot. In a second reboot I used the -v command, here is the screen (Sorry for the horrid quality, my room is very dim so I used flash, but I think its readable):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Lac...logy/errorf.jpg

Any ideas? ;)

Machine: Pentium 4 3.2 HT (SSE3)

MOBO: Intel 865

OSX Release: Jas 10.4.6

The installation shows the grey screen error after I hit enter in the darwin boot. In a second reboot I used the -v command, here is the screen (Sorry for the horrid quality, my room is very dim so I used flash, but I think its readable):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Lac...logy/errorf.jpg

Any ideas? :)

try disabling hyperthreading in your bios...if you do not have that option try to boot with these flags:

platform=X86PC cpus=1 idlehalt=0 -v

I know this sounds dumb but disable your sound...

The panic complains about IONDRVSupport -> IOPCIFamily -> IOGraphicsFamily.

Video is causing the panic. The two complaints about sound kexts are a problem but are not contributing to the panic.

But how can you explain that I used to have OSX on this machine without any trouble?

OSX for Intel changed a lot starting with 10.4.3.

The panic complains about IONDRVSupport -> IOPCIFamily -> IOGraphicsFamily.

Video is causing the panic. The two complaints about sound kexts are a problem but are not contributing to the panic.

OSX for Intel changed a lot starting with 10.4.3.

So I am eally out of luck?

As we speak I am downloading the 10.4.7 JaS DVD. Hope that works

are you using onboard video? if so you may want to try increasing the amount of ram it can use in your bios...sometimes with older onboard vid chipsets it needs a certain amount of video ram to boot

if your not using onboard vid what are you using?

Ai Radeon 9800 pro 128mb

Ive had issues similar.. when install hangs (using -v switch) record the position thats stalls, let machine sit for a few minutes, see if you get "waiting for root device". if in say ten minutes nothings happened, rset machine (dont turn off, just hit reset.) and try to install again, using "-v" switch. Have your dvd boot first in bios to make things easier. See if machine hangs in same place. Repeat steps maybe four times. I say this because I had similar probs, and it turned out to be my MoBo was just incompatible. It would work, intermittently, when installing 10.4.3, but anything higher would cause the install to stop, but at different places, never consistant. Older versions worked whereas newer versions didnt. Thats not to say you should stop dl'ing 10.4.7, it might not be your machine, it might just be your disc and how it was burned. When you do get 10.4.7, burn on -R media, and at the sloweest speed. If you burned 10.4.6 on -R media, then try +R. Youre gonna have to fiddle a bit, dive in if you think its that important. Good luck.

Tryed johnnytluxury´s method with the new 10.4.7 DVD

With the -v switch it stops with an UIM error, but it keeps displaying "waiting for root device" every minute.

Without the -v switch now I can go as far as the rotating icon with the apple, but after some minutes a "forbidden" signs appears in the apple.

"Waiting for root device" and the "forbidden" sign are the same thing.

When BIOS hands off booting to the OS, it loses track of where the boot device is. In order to help it, you have to simplify things.

Put the hard drive on the same cable as the DVD drive. Make the hard drive master and the DVD drive slave using jumpers, not cable select. Disconnect all other drives, USB storage devices, etc.

If you have a laptop, doing this is very difficult. Your next choice is to use VMWare to make the installation. After you install OSX, you won't need VMWare to boot your installation. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314