Vostro 1700/Inspiron 1720 - 10.8.2 update from 10.8.1

xangel9626

15 posts in this topic

I have a Vostro 1700 which is the same as an Inspiron 1720 with ML 10.8.1 installed. I have another post where it shows the instructions for what I did to make the system work.

http://www.insanelym...cs/page__st__20. (Scroll down for full instructions)

Basically it has a T7250 C2D, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia 8600m GT. I created a copy of the HDD on an external drive and use it to test install 10.8.2 and I am running into plenty of problems.

I used the 10.8.2 Combo update and before the restart I replaced the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and rebuild the cache using Kext Utility. I do not have oemsmbios.kext in FakeSMC, so that isn’t a problem.

I reboot normal with no flags and it freezes on the Apple screen with the pinwheel.

I use –v and it stops in different places every time. Sometimes get KP, sometimes not.

I use –f and it stops in different places every time. Sometimes get KP, sometimes not.

I’ve booted with useKernelCache=no and it will boot sometimes, but it eventually locks up.

I’ve booted with graphicsenabler=no, again, it will boot sometimes, but eventually locks up.

I cannot boot to safe mode using –x no matter what I do, freezes at the apple screen.

Tried replacing Nvidia kexts, got KP.

Anyone have any clues on how to fix this?

Try uploading a few boot screens. Just because it freezes at different places doesn't mean that what is failing to load isn't the same each time. And of course, using different boot arguments will cause it to freeze at different stages of the boot process. If you delete your video kexts entirely will it boot? You need to start isolating your problem. And did you use my DSDT? If so, it is intended for the X3100 GPU.

First picture with KP is -v -f

Second picture with beach ball is usekernelcache=no graphicsenabler=no -v

Third picture with en1::IO88211Interface is with usekernelcache=no -v

Fourth picture with Waiting on <dict ID="0"> is with graphicsenabler=no -v

I also did another boot with graphicsenabler=no -v -f and it got to the desktop, but froze immediately.

post-463186-0-45420800-1352319123_thumb.jpg

post-463186-0-86256600-1352319131_thumb.jpg

post-463186-0-56384300-1352319174_thumb.jpg

post-463186-0-82478800-1352319206_thumb.jpg

Remove VoodooHDA.kext. You should use the patched AppleHDA.kext. Try booting and if you get stuck again, post a new photo with just -v boot argument.

As for the 10.8.2 update, I stopped messing with Mountain Lion on my 1720 because its just not worth it since no one has gotten hardware acceleration with the X3100 GPU. My focus for now is on earning some money to replace my laptop so that I can get back into testing OSX.

OK, so without any audio kext the computer gets past the -v boot, but randomly freezes at different times. First it froze 2 minutes after getting to the fully loaded desktop when I tried going to "Computer" in finder, second time it got to the wallpaper, third time it got to the black screen just before loading the wallpaper. With -v -f it got to a grey screen just before it should have went black. -x just freezes about 1/4 of the way through loading. I'm going to try a different HDD tomorrow to see if that may be part of the issue.

Your can try a different hard drive if you seriously think you have a messed up hard drive. However, I would recommend repairing permissions. That can make a big difference. I am assuming you have a Lion installation from which you can tinker with your ML installation.

Changed drives, followed same steps again, got KP CPU1 HPET a couple times, repaired permissions on whole drive, froze on AppleSynapticsPS2 loading. I have the original HDD installed with 10.8.1, I'm making copies on an external HDD with CCC and doing the upgrade on that copy.

When it freezes while loading the PS2 drivers, the problem is that the video kexts are not loading. For me, repairing permissions fixed that but we have different video so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction on that.

• 8 months later...

Ok, so I got 10.8.4 installed.  I just copied all of the kext I used to install 10.8.0 minus AppleHDA and IO80211 and rebuilt kext cache.  Computer boots properly without any boot flags.  Only problem that I have is my HP BCM94322MC that worked perfectly fine in 10.8.1 is not being recognized.  If I use the modified kext from my 10.8.1, the card shows up but I get the connection error.   Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 months later...

I think I have the total workup for getting from Blank disk to 10.8.5 with everything working except for shutdown and restart.  I am going to do the full upgrade to 10.8.5 tomorrow and if anyone wants, I will post the process, just let me know.  It should work for anyone with an Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with an Nvidia graphics card.