Linux and OSx86 On One GPT Drive

5 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I've ran into some problems when installing Linux on my OSX Drive.

I have 2 Drives:

1 500GB GPT Drive with only Mountain Lion installed

1 1TB MBR Drive for Windows and Data

yesterday I've tried installing Linux(in detail Ubuntu 12.04) on a second partition on the GPT Drive. I've used the --no-bootloader switch on ubiquity for protecting my chameleon install. Problem is now that Chameleon won't detect the new Ubuntu install whether ext4,ext3 or ext2 filesystem. This obviously refers to the missing grub2 bootloader of the Linux drive, but wouldn't be chameleon erased if I install grub2?

Any thoughts/ideas how to solve this mess are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance maltba

Disclaimer: I have not tested most of this at all, and I am not responsible if your MBR is replaced with a bunch of angry hornets or something else equally interesting (Or data-destructive) happens. I am assuming that any of the partitions and/or disks we're messing with have all their (important) data BACKED UP.

NOTE: This is assuming that you have already installed Ubuntu WITHOUT installing GRUB. If you installed Ubuntu and INSTALLED GRUB, skip to step 3. If you haven't installed Ubuntu yet, install it normally (i.e INSTALL GRUB) and skip to step 3.

NOTE 2: I was not aware that Chameleon was capable of loading Linux at all. If this is the case, that might be a much less painful way of doing this.

1. Install GRUB2. It's been a while since I used Ubuntu, but I think there's something called Boot-Repair that'll do it for you from the Ubuntu liveCD. Google should be helpful.

2. Reboot and boot into Ubuntu (on your HDD), open and terminal: type sudo update-grub. Reboot again.

3. After the GRUB menu comes up (There may be an OS X entry already there, ignore it), hit C to open a GRUB console and type

ls

If you know what drive OS X is on, then type

ls (hdX,Y)

Otherwise, just ls all of them until you find the right one. (It'll tell you the volume name and type among other things.) Now, write (Yes, with a pen. ;)) down the UUID that it printed for your OS X drive.

4. Hit ESC and select Ubuntu on the GRUB menu and boot into it again. Open a terminal and type

sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Paste or type the following code into there. Be sure to insert the UUID you just wrote down.

menuentry "Your custom title goes here!" {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root yourUUIDgoeshere
echo 'Loading Chameleon...'
multiboot /boot
}

Press CTRL+O and enter to save and CTRL+X to exit.

5. Type sudo update-grub in the terminal.

6. Reboot!

NSCXP2005 is right. I've found this out just before opening the thread again for replying that i've found the solution.I was just a little bit to careful about my chameleon installation.

To sum up:

1.Boot your Ubuntu(or whatever) Linux Installation and go through it until you hit the Partition Selection screen.

2.Make sure your / filesystem is ext4(since others have reported that ext3 is somehow NOT working)

3.Make sure you select your / PARTITION(yes partition) for bootloader installation this will install the grub-stage1 loader into the GPT Partitions Bootblock and make it therefore detectable by Chameleon.

4.Have fun :)

Thank you all for your help

maltba