Restart and Shutdown Problems

RedEG6

21 posts in this topic

got my 10.7.3 running via Niresh installer.

i noticed that if i soft restart my system, i get a kernel panic and when i hard restart it, i get another KP. but on the 3rd hard restart, boot goes as normal.

regarding the shutdown problem, i just noticed it this morning. after powering on my PC after shutting it down last night, it hangs after the grey Apple logo and when I do a hard restart it, my PC would just turn off and on without reaching POST. boot only went as normal after I unplugged it from the power source.

any help please.

thanks!

i'll attach my screenshot of the KP when i reach home.

You can try this, but you really need to post your hardware info when asking questions like this. Could be a number of other causes and many different ways to fix it, like via DSDT, or chameleon setting for example.

boot with -v always until your system is 100% stable so you can see what may be causing any problems. It not only enables verbose boot, but also additional error logging and if KP occurs wile booted into desktop, it will show it on screen instead of just "hold down power button to restart computer" message

OSXRestart.kext.zip

• Like 1

oh sheesh, i'm sorry. i knew there was something missing when i posted above. thought i had my specs on my sig. anyway, the rig i'm running has:

-Gigabyte EP45-DS3R Mobo

-C2D E8400

-Powercolor HD4850 1GB GDDR5 (this has a twin which I will install later when I sort things out)

-OCZ XTC Gold DDR2-800 8GB (2GBx4 Sticks)

-OSX HDD: WD RE4 500GB SATAII

-Samsung DVD Writer

-Realtek ALC889A Onboard Audio

-Realtek RTL8168C LAN Adapter

Extra separate drives for:

-Win7: WD Velociraptor 600GB SATAIII

-Data / Files: WD Caviar Green 1TB SATAII

Typical / Usual USB Powered Mouse and Keyboard

Thanks for that file you have gave me. I'm a noob by the way so I might be asking stupid questions along the way.

Cheers!

@eep357:

brother i think you got the KP on restart fixed. i downloaded and installed the kext you gave me above. i've soft restarted twice in a row and no KP. booted without -v on the 2nd try and i got in clean. hopefully the Shutdown problem can be solved as well.

thanks very much!

• Like 1

confirmed that the restart problem got sorted out thanks to eep357

next problem to fix, the shutdown then power on problem.

whenever i shutdown (then power on again) or boot from cold, i get a KP then when i hard restart the PC, it would turn off, then turn on in succession until i step in and turn off the PC via the PSU button or unplug it. is this a problem with the NullCPUPowerManagement? i'm guessing so please forgive me and enlighten me.

thanks!

add -v to kernel flags in your org.chameleon.boot.plist so it will verbose boot without you having to input it, and you'll be able to see the cause of the kernel panic. If you can't figure it, take a picture of the screen and post it here

here's the offending party:

IMG-1922.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong, but KP points to VoodooHDA as the culprit? i did a cold boot this morning and encountered that. hard reset and i was able to log in Lion without any further problem.

someone told me to mess around with DSDT file, but after reading about it, I'm a bit hesitant to pull of something like that for fear that it might mess up something else other than the cold boot problem i have.

Clover bootloader is a viable option as it can do on the fly patching. Up to you what you want to use. To fix issue as it is now, combination of DSDT patching (which can also include restart fix so no kext needed for that) and patched appleHDA.kext will eliminate the need to use VoodooHDA which can be buggy as you have found out. If you extract and upload DSDT, I can take care of it. Chameleon Wizard has a DSDT tab that can be used to extract yours, or it can be done with DSDTSE

• Like 1

Try Clover, it will fix you up and then some.

Best to use it from scratch though.

by scratch do you mean erasing the disk and reinstalling OSX again? or do i just yank out Chameleon (and corresponding files) and run the clover.pkg?

thanks for the replies.

Clover bootloader is a viable option as it can do on the fly patching. Up to you what you want to use. To fix issue as it is now, combination of DSDT patching (which can also include restart fix so no kext needed for that) and patched appleHDA.kext will eliminate the need to use VoodooHDA which can be buggy as you have found out. If you extract and upload DSDT, I can take care of it. Chameleon Wizard has a DSDT tab that can be used to extract yours, or it can be done with DSDTSE

got the DSDT via DSDTSE, hopefully this is it.

---

alright i was not permitted to upload this kind of file - dsdt.dsl - so i just renamed the extension to text.

dsdt.txt

Ahh, you just have to zip the file first then you can upload. With attached DSDT in /Extra remove VoodooHDA and AppleHDA if present. Then you can either install these two kexts:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

ALC885_889a.kext.zip

or this one, which would need to be by it's self and not have ALC885 889a.kext installed, same DSDT still needed in /Extra:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Either way should work fine, but I figured, why not give you a plan B :)

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

so correct me if i'm wrong:

-download DSDT.aml.zip and just place it on the /Extra folder

-i go then to System/Library/Extensions, look VoodooHDA and AppleHDA, delete and place the ALC885_889a.kext and AppleHDA.kext

again thank you so much for the help. beer is on me if i could get over the dark side of the wall HAHAHA

did as you outlined above, ran into this:

IMG-1931.jpg

3 hard restarts and it went nowhere. i always thought 3rd time was the charm, but after 3 hard restart, this was the exception LOL

tried to boot into safe mode, no such luck:

IMG-1932.jpg

thinking of accessing the OSX drive via an Ubuntu Live CD and/or the distro installer I have then dealing with that AppleACPIPlatformExpert error. correct me if I'm wrong though.

you unzipped the DSDT first right?

for installing kexts, unless your savy with the terminal, you need to use a tool such as Kext Wizard, along with repairing permissions before reboot (also able to do from kext wizard)

if cache not rebuilt, due to permissions on newly installed kext for example, use -f when booting

Lion gave me an option to save as either zip or .aml I went with .aml and copied it to /Extras. the kext files, now that's another thing, I downloaded it and just copied it to the going to System/Library/Extensions. if that's not the right way, then I'm learning. not familiar with Apple terminal, I actually fainted when I first tried (with Ubuntu), I thought the thing was similar to DOS terminal LOL

will try again booting with -f in a bit.

thanks for the help, hope I'm not much of a hassle to you.

I'll bet Safari unzipping that DSDT for you instead of using app like archive utility or the unarchiver added a html header on to it, which won't go over too well. Try bypassing it for now with boot flag: DSDT=none

• Like 1

alright i got in. i downloaded the DSDT again as zip, un-zipped it (and yes i did notice there was a discrepancy in the size with the file i downloaded and used yesterday - 7KB something vs this one which i think is at 18KB). installed the kexts via kext wizard and repaired permissions and rebuilt the cache under the S/L/E option. hopefully this does it. i've got work today, i can only monitor your reply/replies and won't be able to do anything until after work.

thanks bud, you've been a great help!

• Like 1

got in from cold boot without a hitch. soft restarted 3 or 4 times and it still booted properly. noticed i had no audio, until i recalled i installed the kexts above the wrong way. had to download it again (just to be sure) and installed it via Kext Wizard and repaired permissions and rebuilt cache. restarted and i've got audio back, even the front panel audio works.

will see later if shutdown works as it should work.

thanks again! you've really been a great help!

managed to shutdown properly last night and cold boot this morning without a hitch. played with soft restart a few times, monitor sleep functions and wakes up without any problem. not a big fan of HD and PC sleep, so it's off (but will try this weekend to play with it).

thanks eep357!

i'll probably try clover bootloader on an ML build.

• Like 1