Should I upgrade what I have or buy all new?

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've been gone for awhile and am wondering with the holidays coming up should I upgrade my badass Hackintosh entirely, or should I just upgrade a couple of things? Some of my specs are in my signature.

I need more Hard Drive space and currently I have a option to upgrade my storage by either getting a card to expand my IDE capacity or taking one of my two DVD drives out. What I have in the Signature is actually my backup HD. The ones I have Inside are 160GB, 120GB, and 2 TB.

I have slow 667mhz memory in here. Would it tremendously help if i upgraded to the O.C. which is 1066 or higher to 1366?

I need to be able to keep Snow Leopard functionality because of older games I refuse to let go just to go to lion or mountain lion.

I also want to make sure video games like WoW or Starcraft which are the ones I usually play will not make my system a minimum specs for awhile.

I'm going through college and I don't have allot of money to spend on other things besides school so any help that is not tough on my wallet would be great.

If anyone can say if my board and graphics card is supported in mountain lion and lion that'd be great!

Hi

Give your hardware specs when necessary (asking for support) and any other time where it may be beneficial to have them listed.

You talk about your config from your signature?

If you have a question please do your best to use the search feature and search the forum before creating a new topic.

The search feature + OSx86 Wiki

Cordially

An entirely new system will cost a considerable amount of $ (even with holiday prices). If you are student, the best option (from your wallet's standpoint) would be to upgrade some key components like RAM, HDD and optionally CPU or VGA (these might be less important depending on what your PC is used for). Newer (faster) HDD/SSD and RAM can speed up the system pretty well.

After a college (provided you get a good job), you could upgrade your hardware entirely with latest&greatest hardware. IMO

• Like 3

An entirely new system will cost a considerable amount of $ (even with holiday prices). If you are student, the best option (from your wallet's standpoint) would be to upgrade some key components like RAM, HDD and optionally CPU or VGA (these might be less important depending on what your PC is used for). Newer (faster) HDD/SSD and RAM can speed up the system pretty well.

After a college (provided you get a good job), you could upgrade your hardware entirely with latest&greatest hardware. IMO

Thats why I wondered should I just save up my money and buy all new hardware later. I don't necessarily need anything but the HDD to be bigger. I got a macbook pro recently and am fine with using it, but I love my performance of my hackintosh way more.

I'm worried later on the newer hardware will unsupport snow leopard after I complete school and etc.

I'd by a new HDD and/or RAM and save some $ for a brand new hardware later on, if ware you.

Agreed. You only 'need' disk space now, so get a good drive now and you can migrate that to a new kick-ass system once you graduate and get situated with home, carear, life, etc. Wants can come after the needs are met.

Ahhhh.. I remember the days back in college when I upgraded my Toshiba Satelite T2105's hard disk from the 250MB that it came with to a whopping 600MB. I ate spam and tortillas for a month to pay for that upgrade!