Sony VAIO S 2012 ML Success! (Ivy i5, HD 4000)

All Kand

27 posts in this topic

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is now very possible to boot my installer straight off the laptop itself! (Instead of swapping out hdds and stuff)

Just install a kext from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/. From what I've found, Sony's motherboard uses XHCI to manage even the USB 2.0 drives. With this kext in place in /S/L/E in my OSX Installer, all three ports (USB2 + 3 + 3) work now.

P.S. I am using OSX 10.9 Installer but this should work with ML too.

Hi Everyone! I managed to get my Sony Vaio SVS1311FGS (Vaio S 2012 Series) on working with Mountain Lion DP4!
Spec:

• i5-3210M (somehow unrecognized, cpuid model not found etc, but works)
  • Intel HD 4000 (main GPU for OSX, works fully *details later below)
  • NVIDIA Geforce GT-640M (Optimus cards are useless for Mac. However, I would like to know how to disable it via DSDT.)
  • Realtek 10EC:8168 Ethernet card (work in progress, I haven't searched deeply for a 64-bit kext that would load in ML)
  • Intel Wifi Card (garbage. I'm using a RTL8192SU USB dongle)
  • Sound Card (lol, I don't know the model, but it works fine with VoodooHDA) (Should be the Intel HD Audio)

Notes Beforehand:

• You cannot plonk in a USB OSX Installer made from either: ######, MyHack or any other USB solution. The absence of a BIOS mod (which I would have avoided anyway) to enable AHCI to get the USB Installer to recognize itself renders using USB Installers useless
  • I'm not sure about using DVDs.
  • I used a Sandy Bridge laptop to act as the installing machine instead. I switched their hard drives and got the thing to work, as my Sandy Bridge is hackintosh-friendly :)
  • You need a special bootloader. No Chameleon-ML, No Chimera 1.10. You need those special ones
  • OSX CANNOT BOOT FROM UEFI MODE. I use UEFI to go into Windows and Legacy into Mac. YOU MIGHT RUN INTO TROUBLE TRYING TO ENABLE CLICKING ON TRACKPAD. I've somehow managed to enable mine through the keyboard ;)

Steps:

• Partition the hard drive on any partition program (u can use diskpart or Disk Management from Windows itself)
  • Remove it and place it into another machine where the USB Installers have successfully booted
  • Get OSX installed. The hard drive is in a GPT format due to UEFI, no modding of Installer needed.
  • When the hard drive is placed back into the Vaio S, get into the BIOS through F2 at boot and change Booting Mode into 'Legacy' and Place 'External Device' before 'Internal Hard Drive' in boot priorities
  • THE NEXT STEP REQUIRES AN EXISTING MAC, to install the custom bootloader on the USB device. Get the USB Installer, insert it into the other Mac or Hackintosh and install http://blog.stuffedcow.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Chameleon-2.1svn-r2012.pkg, a bootloader by stuffedcow for HD 4000 users. Set the settings on the Installer as follows: Standard boot, GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Ignore the HDMIAudio, NVIDIA, ATI options.
  • When you're done, navigate to the Extra folder on the USB stick, and place the DSDT.aml attached in the zip file in this folder.
  • Boot the computer with this USB stick. When at the boot prompt for the OSX partition in the HDD, type: -v -f "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" HD4000PlatformId=3
  • This should get it all working. Fix Everything Up (Network, etc).

Others:
INTEL HD 4000
Credits: http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/07/intel-hd4000-qeci-acceleration/
The table for HD 4000 is there. Those platform-ids that start with 0166 are for mobile (ours). Those with 0162 are for desktops. If you wish to try the platform-id for the alphabets, a is 10 and b is 11.

I've tested them and the platform-id 3 should work for ours. It enabled Internal Screen and HDMI. I'm researchiing on editing the connector info for VGA. Some info on connectors for HD 4000: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/60010-official-hd-4000-support-11.html

NVIDIA GeForce GT640M
Useless. Optimus does not work on OSX and probably never will as Apple uses MUXes. Do Note that the Speed/Stamina switch can be switched to either option. OSX does not care.
However, I'd like to know how to disable it via DSDT to save battery life.

REALTEK 10EC:8168 CARD
In progress.

INTEL WIFI
Nope. Nada. Intel wifi was never used by Apple.

USB 2.0
This will work if you use the USBPackage attached. Install the files in the folder 1 first, before installing those in 2.USB3 is a work in progress by other people using Intel's USB3 Controllers, although some have worked by changing XHCI setting in their BIOSes (no such option for us)

SOUND
Use VoodooHDA for Mountain Lion.

SLEEP
Using the SleepEnabler for Mountain Lion, but haven't tested yet.

TRACKPAD
Mine is Synaptics, so it works. But sensitivity needs changing.

DSDT.zip

USBPackage.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a separate DSDT for 1600x900x32 resolutions? (EDID injection, I imagine)

I get kernel panics with this one; system reboots too quickly to figure out what the KP is.

Also, there are now two distinct Win8 BIOSes for the 13-inch model. Is the DSDT compatible with both?

Some new notes:

* I started a new install from scratch. I used the SonyVaio.dsl file and Chameleon Wizard to compile a proper DSDT.aml. Works like a charm with my 1600x900 panel, but brightness is somewhat reduced from the non-accelerated state. I used the "HD4000PlatformId=4" boot flag. Using the value '3' did not work for me.

(+) Interestingly, I was also able to boot with the GenerateCStates, GeneratePStates, and DropSSDT boot.Chameleon.plist entries.

(-) However, upgrading my version of Chameleon via Chameleon Wizard to a version newer than build 2013 broke my install. To fix, I booted from ###### with GraphicsEnabler=No, then reinstalling the HD4000 version of Chameleon.

* Interestingly, trackpad support off of ###### doesn't have two-finger scroll or tap-to-click, but it does have "physical" click and side-scrolling. I think the optimal solution is some combination of the two; perhaps a different VoodooPS2 configuration file is needed.

(-) Clicking on "About this Mac" with either the 8,1 or 9,1 MacBook Pro SMBIOS.plist files results in a crashed Finder and a login screen

(+) Upgrading the half-height MiniPCI-E WIFI card to an AR9280/AR5B91/Dell Wireless 1515 works like a charm in all 3 OSes! You just lose Bluetooth support... :-(

(+) ######'s TRIM Enabler seems to work nicely

What I may try to work on next:

* DSDT edits for Realtek audio (I have to look up in Windows or Linux which chipset is being used)

* Fingerprint reader support (should be easy)

* SMBIOS trickery

* Investigation of other Chameleon versions

* Investigation of rEFInd/CloverEFI EFI-mode booting (I think this may solve at least a couple hardware incompatibility issues, or maybe cause a few others)

* Investigation of better "ClickPad" support

It seems like a lot of your issues I had with my m6-1045dx... For example, I lost Bluetooth with my AR5B195 card, but got it back after editing the kext for it with the specific card's device ID. I don't know how compatible my kexts are with your card, but it might be worth a try to install the two Bluetooth kexts for it ( IOath3kfrmwr.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext). Waking from sleep breaks Bluetooth until a fresh reboot, though. Get those kexts from the Gatsby m6-1045dx pack here.

You might try Lnx2Mac's RTL81xxx kext installer, it works for a wide range of ethernet cards on laptops these days. Just make sure ethernet is plugged in before you boot, in my case if you wait till it boots it gets a 169.254 IP and internet doesn't work. I get 192.168 and everything works fine if I boot with ethernet already plugged in.

So you might gives those a try!

Thanks for the suggestions. In fact, I think I switched to the Realtek-provided driver to get functionality under Clover EFI. (Lnx2Mac worked fine with Chameleon/Chimera, but not with Clover. Not sure why.)

Hopefully big news:

Over the past 24 hours I succeeded in getting a Z77 Micro-ATX motherboard with hybrid UEFI to boot 10.8.2. It's a pretty involved process, but thankfully we have a fairly functional DSDT at the moment, so that should help. Also, Clover has special considerations for InsydeH2O BIOSes built in.

Some preliminary notes:

• Although it was reported otherwise, elsewhere, Ubuntu can absolutely install GRUB2 via EFI to the EFI partition and the SVS will boot it. I cannot confirm if the SVS prefers the hard-coded location of the Microsoft boot.efi file; if this is the case, it just needs to be renamed/relinked
  • My Z77 build has an Nvidia GT 650 GPU. This has little to do with the SVS, since Nvidia graphics won't ever work on it in MacOS, BUT, I did learn that the HD4000 series of GPUs does have UEFI/GOP Video-BIOS support. Unfortunately most add-in cards do not at the moment, save a very few with a manufacturer VBIOS update.
  • Bumblebee allows Optimus to work not only on the SVS 13 under Ubuntu, but also any system with an Nvidia GPU and Intel HD graphics, so long as Intel HD is the primary/display card.
  • Clover EFI really is still about trial and error. Basically the only "efficient" way to proceed is to replace Chameleon with Clover and do a BIOS/MBR boot on a USB stick. Once you have that properly working, then you can add the UEFI drivers and files. There will likely be other issues at boot with different error messages than you got with MBR. Once you get UEFI booting MacOS off of a USB stick, you can proceed to mount the EFI paritition and install it to that. It will not kill your Windows or Linux bootloaders, I believe (though I haven't verified).
  • Installing MacOS on GPT via You-Knee-Bheest actually kills the Ubuntu and Windows bootloaders, so install MacOS first.
  • I think the best install order is Mac -> Windows -> Linux, although I haven't been able to confirm that Windows will ever create recovery partitions if it isn't the first OS installed. I'm not too concerned about that, though. The more concerning item is that Windows is a low-enough partition number that even in BIOS mode, it should be bootable. I think the new Windows 8 bootloader can boot from GPT disks, even in BIOS mode. (I've switched many times in the past 24 hours because as I mentioned above, my video card requires a "legacy" option ROM since it does not support a UEFI one (like MacOS cards do).)
  • Don't mess with EasyBCD...while it will see your EFI boot options, even merely re-ordering them will kill the entries. EasyBCD only has beta support for UEFI, and it shows. Just let your hardware manage your boot list for you. You can use the UEFI shell to manually update (accessible via Clover) your boot entries/bless the disk you want to boot.
  • I had a very strange issue reinstalling the UEFI bootloader in Ubuntu. It seems that the installer won't recognize the EFI partition on its own; you must indicate that's what it is.

Now, hopefully I'll be able to recreate some of this on the SVS 13 in the next couple days! Does anyone know of a good ClickPad driver? I'll try to get audio and brightness working for you in return.

Hey, I'm really excited to find a synaptics trackpad kext almost fully working on my SVS15!

Just install Rehabman's new VoodooPS2controller and delete old ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. You also have to remove 26 customs keyboard mapping in Info.plist of VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext from his build. Because the keyboard hotkey for HP ProBook is different from sony.

After reboot, map three-finger gestures to the functions you want by changing the assignments in the System Preferences ->Keyboard. Now both two-finger and three-finger gesture work like a charm and I can even swip between workspaces just by three-finger swiping left/right.

PS: anyone have a working battery kext plz?

• Like 1

You're kidding. Three-finger swipe works? I'm giving it a go (HP m6-1045dx though so we'll see!)

As for battery kexts, try the ones in the Gatsby m6-1045dx kext pack, linked in the guide thread for the HP m6-1045dx on this forum (not the link in the first post, use the old kext pack link in like the second or third post). There should be three or four, though I wouldn't use the one kext that ends in "Manager" I think it's SmartBatteryManager.kext, that tends to cause kernel panics on occasion.

Hot damn, that PS2 kext enables three-finger gestures for the HP m6-1045dx and almost certainly all related models (like the Envy 1015dx). Thanks!

Oh wow it even enabled F2 and F3 brightness hotkeys! It's a magic kext!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm really excited to find a synaptics trackpad kext almost fully working on my SVS15!

Just install Rehabman's new VoodooPS2controller and delete old ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. You also have to remove 26 customs keyboard mapping in Info.plist of VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext from his build. Because the keyboard hotkey for HP ProBook is different from sony.

After reboot, map three-finger gestures to the functions you want by changing the assignments in the System Preferences ->Keyboard. Now both two-finger and three-finger gesture work like a charm and I can even swip between workspaces just by three-finger swiping left/right.

PS: anyone have a working battery kext plz?

Please post your edited Infoplist for the keyboard.

Please post your edited Infoplist for the keyboard.

If you are using a laptop other than HP, you don't need to add anything, just remove the all the keys under <key>Custom PS2 Map</key>.

To customize, have a look at this guide:

How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping

BTW, the battery and CPU power management is really a pain for VAIO S serie!!! I even tried a few ways by editing DSTD, but no luck.Hope someone can fix it...

• Like 2

Hi Everyone! I managed to get my Sony Vaio SVS1311FGS (Vaio S 2012 Series) on working with Mountain Lion DP4!

Spec:

• i5-3210M (somehow unrecognized, cpuid model not found etc, but works)
  • Intel HD 4000 (main GPU for OSX, works fully *details later below)
  • NVIDIA Geforce GT-640M (Optimus cards are useless for Mac. However, I would like to know how to disable it via DSDT.)
  • Realtek 10EC:8168 Ethernet card (work in progress, I haven't searched deeply for a 64-bit kext that would load in ML)
  • Intel Wifi Card (garbage. I'm using a RTL8192SU USB dongle)
  • Sound Card (lol, I don't know the model, but it works fine with VoodooHDA) (Should be the Intel HD Audio)

Notes Beforehand:

• You cannot plonk in a USB OSX Installer made from either: ######, MyHack or any other USB solution. The absence of a BIOS mod (which I would have avoided anyway) to enable AHCI to get the USB Installer to recognize itself renders using USB Installers useless
  • I'm not sure about using DVDs.
  • I used a Sandy Bridge laptop to act as the installing machine instead. I switched their hard drives and got the thing to work, as my Sandy Bridge is hackintosh-friendly :)
  • You need a special bootloader. No Chameleon-ML, No Chimera 1.10. You need those special ones
  • OSX CANNOT BOOT FROM UEFI MODE. I use UEFI to go into Windows and Legacy into Mac. YOU MIGHT RUN INTO TROUBLE TRYING TO ENABLE CLICKING ON TRACKPAD. I've somehow managed to enable mine through the keyboard ;)

Steps:

1. Partition the hard drive on any partition program (u can use diskpart or Disk Management from Windows itself)

2. Remove it and place it into another machine where the USB Installers have successfully booted

3. Get OSX installed. The hard drive is in a GPT format due to UEFI, no modding of Installer needed.

4. When the hard drive is placed back into the Vaio S, get into the BIOS through F2 at boot and change Booting Mode into 'Legacy' and Place 'External Device' before 'Internal Hard Drive' in boot priorities

5. THE NEXT STEP REQUIRES AN EXISTING MAC, to install the custom bootloader on the USB device. Get the USB Installer, insert it into the other Mac or Hackintosh and install http://blog.stuffedc....1svn-r2012.pkg, a bootloader by stuffedcow for HD 4000 users. Set the settings on the Installer as follows: Standard boot, GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Ignore the HDMIAudio, NVIDIA, ATI options.

Hi all

can you please explain the first steps in detail...

I always stuck getting the HDD booting... "no operating system found"

How do you partition the and so on...

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

New Update:

I got this lappie booting MacOS with Clover EFI. The trick is to eliminate the Aptio fix, but keep the LowMem fix. An HFS driver is necessary, as always. I also used the DSDT we've been using. I deleted the "CSM" driver, since I got graphics corruption. That seemed to fix things.

But now I'm stuck at the age-old problem that comes when you don't use the HD4000-customized bootloader: no graphics on the built-in screen. I did manage to connect an external monitor via HDMI, but all I get is graphics almost corrupt enough not to be able to do anything useful on the laptop.

I have tried booting with and without the HD4000PlatformId=4 flag...the built-in screen is dead either way, much like if you use a more recent version of Chameleon. Does anyone know how we can request that Clover EFI integrate some kind of HD4000 injection/recognition?

Also, does anyone know how to get the physical (depress ClickPad) button working for this TrackPad? All other functionality of it works beautifully.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip This is a new version of clickpad driver I built from Rehabman's source. Works perfectly well on sony svs (Including click function & "Fn+Prt Sc" to disable touchpad)

For the HD4000 injection, I also found that only the mod version of chameleon works (r2012). QE/CI won't be enabled with those new build such as Chameleon2.2 svn 2172, even though I've included the correct “AAPL,ig-platform-id” (0x04 0x00 0x66 0x01) in DSDT.

Hey guys,

i tried hackintoshing on my s15 with only hd4000, and i5320m.

It worked pretty smooth, i used the special chameleon, and hd4000platformid=4, i get full accelleration and 1080p.

sound works as well with voodoohda 2.8.0, changed wireless card etc.

usb works with usbpackage from first poster

bye guys

-edit: trackpad fixed, typo's

I also tried editing dsdt to fix battery, of course no luck... I tried the b1b2 method from zprood, didnt work ( i most probably did something wrong anyways)

What about sleep guys?

thanks for al your work, i am very content with my 1080p mbp!

Edited by Smithingya

@yc_richard: Thanks for the ClickPad driver update! It turns out I wasn't using the latest 1/30 or 2/1 version, anyway. That is a most excellent kext!

Remaining Problems:

1. The current dsdt_VAIO.dsl is based on the older BIOS version dated 5/2012, whereas my "extracted" DSL shows the date of 9/2012. I am worried that inconsistencies between BIOS version and DSDT version will cause problems in the future. I'm not sure how exactly I can reproduce the EDID edits for the new BIOS version, since I can't diff the original DSL with the EDID-modded DSL, since I can't revert my BIOS...or at least I haven't tried.

2. Adding ig_platformid in DSDT or via GFX strings does not work. I have tried both.

DSDT Guide Link: http://www.insanelym...-working-setup/

GFX Guide Link: http://www.insanelym...tring-creation/

-plus the following to make it work for HD4000 instead of HD3000-

http://blog.stuffedc...i-acceleration/

3. Therefore GPU acceleration (QE/CI) still requires Chimera or a patched Chameleon. Clover EFI does not seem to have the requisite patches yet.

4. I still have a LoginWindow crash when I visit "About This Mac"...I think it has something to do with an unrecognized CPU type. I have tried the MBP smbios versions 8,1 and 9,1; the same problem exists for both.

Can someone with more expertise than myself take a look at the files I'm about to attach? I modified the DSDT in multiple areas, replacing "snb" graphics with "ig"...assuming that this is an IVB CPU, so the "snb" bit must have been wrong. I also added the platform-id of 4 in several places, but nothing is really improved. Will report back if I can get non-GPU or GPU-based boot via Clover EFI, as that is my end goal. I have also included the old files for comparison.

Looks like HD4000 integration support a la patched Chameleon/Chimera is arriving via a commit to Clover EFI from 4 days ago:

http://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/1073/tree//rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/gma.c

Not sure what the flag in config.plist will be. Hopefully HD4000PlatformID=4 will work there as well, meaning that EFI boot and QE/CI/OpenGL don't have to be mutually exclusive!

• 2 months later...

Good luck with sleep, I could get it working on the m6-1045dx (check out the guide for that), but only with some kext edits (well not edits, deleting and installing a couple), and even then it was only when on battery power, and it broke Bluetooth.

A little while ago I casually came across a possible fix for the Bluetooth thing, I kind of forget what that was, though :/, but you may not even have that issue.

The m6-1045dx guide also has kexts for battery, there's three, there WAS four, but the fourth kaused KPs, and its removal did not affect operation of the battery meter. Just google "m6-1045dx guide" it's up there in the list of results.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone manage to get the battery info working?

battery and sleep are the only things not working here.

hope there is still other people active on this topic.

I got battery working. First I tried some voodoo battery kext with different dsdt files/with no dsdt, but it didn't work for me. I have a Sony Vaio S13 P (SVS13A2C5E).

Then I found this http://www.osx86.net/view/2732-smart_battery_no_need_dsdt.html and it worked without DSDT. You say everything works for you? Can you control brightness? Click on "About this Mac" without crashing Finder?

These are my main problems, CPU is kind of unrecognized and I can't make my own DSDT to improve compatibility.

I'm install Dual boot Windows 8 and Mac 10.8.4 on UEFI of Sony SVS13, Bootting very fast, No need driver USB on fist topic, i copy a kext IOUSBStorage and going to Flugin folder delete USBXHCI.kext, re install and reboot, my USB ok but no 3.0 but system have kernelcache....

• 3 months later...

Hi! 

I used pandora box! and it worked (maveriks final from AppStore!), I used chameleon ( I couldn't get to the os screen, but the installation worked fine) used Clover EFI and got to the os screen by selecting Inject EDID and fake id : 0x01660009 and InjectIntel and 'somthing'FB = 9 and Ports = 3 (for these 2 options, I really don't know what they do) but no graphics acceleration! And BTW, I choosed Delete Nvidia/ATI kexts while installing, and even disabled the card in bios' config. I used the same way for Mountain Lion, but no graphics acceleration too, I made a topic for my problem here. If somebody knows how to do it, please help! and for clickpad, don't use the latest release of rehabman on Maveriks (personal experience!) it doesn't work (if you know how, show us :D ) but it does work on MLion. And the click time is veeeeeerrrrry long and even the sensitivity is high! How to reduce it (I cant see anything on Info.plist in VoodooPS2 plugins and the main one)? and thank you! 

I have SVS13A290X!