802.1x authentication using wired school network

Basaa

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I now have finally Mountain Lion 10.8.2 running on my laptop (Acer Aspire 7750G). Everything works great, except my ethernet. It works fine when I'm at home, but at school, I need to authenticate using 802.1x. When I plugin in my connector, I get an IP from the DHCP server, and I can even ping websites (google.com, for example). But, I cannot visit websites, or do anything else related to the internet. Normally, when I am on Windows, I have to enable the Wired Autoconfig service, and then Windows askes me for my credentials (school-ID and password). On Mac, however, I don't get this kind of screen. Also when I try to make a profile using IPCU, it doesn't work. It gives me 'Could not connect to the authenticating server'. It's really annoying, as wireless internet is one big derp at school. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

˜Basaa

When you plug into network and get IP via DHCP, do you also get DNS server and Search domain automatically? If not, find out using another computer what they should be, make a second profile instead of "Automatic" and maybe call it "School" and manually enter the DNS server and Search domains so you can easily switch to these settings and/or back to automatic depending on where you are.