Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Sluggish graphics -- OS X 10.8 on Virtualbox only supporting 5MB of VRAM

5 posts in this topic

Despite my setting the video memory in Virtualbox to the maximum, at 128MB, my Mountain Lion VM only shows in the System Profiler as supporting 5MB of video memory, and whatever I do I can't seem to get it to actually support 128MB in practice.

After doing a lot of research, I believe this is what's causing Mountain Lion's graphics to be really laggy. Window minimizing and maximizing from the dock is choppy, and the dock magnification is flickering as well. Flash player objects and Top Sites in Safari also flash and stutter with lots of white. The Applications folder, which I've placed in the dock, is jerky when it opens. Launchpad is barely usable.

I've tried searching around the internet for answers -- specifically for Mountain Lion virtual machine installs -- but I can't find anything useful.

For what it's worth, I have an Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875, equipped with Intel Core i7-3610qm quad core processor and Intel HD4000 integrated graphics + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

I also have Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and 10.6.8 (clone + update) installed as virtual machines on Virtualbox. 10.6.2's System Profiler shows up correctly as supporting 128MB of VRAM, but the updated clone (10.6.8) only shows up as supporting 3MB of VRAM. However, it doesn't matter as much to me, since Snow Leopard runs smoothly as a VM either way.)

As for the sluggish Mountain Lion VM, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks.

could it be caused by GPU using shared system RAM and not dedicated VRAM?

I tried setting Virtualbox to only run with my dedicated NVIDIA card and not the integrated Intel graphics, but it didn't ease the stuttering and System Profiler still only shows 5MB of VRAM. The Mountain Lion VM is definitely usable; it just doesn't have the smoothness and frame rates of my Snow Leopard VM.

Other weird problems with the Mountain Lion VM are Finder often not showing any folders and files and taking a long time to load (colored pinwheel), and Flash Player working in Safari (with white flashing) but stuttering in videos on Chrome (though Flash ads display normally) and not even showing up at all on Firefox despite being installed and with right-click identification.

It could be the Virtualbox software is not yet up to snuff for running ML, an update may be needed

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MetalBreaker
      I noticed some weird behavior with macOS High Sierra. This system was working just fine on Sierra 10.12.5, until I decided to update to High Sierra (10.13.3). The upgrade process went mostly fine I guess, but it got stuck in an infinite spinning wheel which would just keep overlapping. I went into verbose mode, and sure enough, I found "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" repeating over and over along with ACM errors... I'm really lost right now. I can boot in recovery mode and safe mode just fine, when the graphics drivers aren't loaded. Web drivers aren't installed. I installed NvidiaGraphicsFixup, but it didn't fix the issue. I tried deleting the native graphics drivers from macOS and installing web drivers, but it didn't help.
      SMBIOS: iMac13,1
      Graphics card: ASUS GT630-2GD3 (It's a Fermi card and it needs injection, so I modified my DSDT. Full graphics acceleration worked in Sierra. No Clover injection. I tried using Clover injection instead, I saw no difference.)
      CPU: Intel Core i3-3210, iGPU disabled in UEFI

All kexts updated to their latest versions, along with Clover.

For more info, you can refer to the GitHub issue where I posted it. https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/issues/3
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thank you for your time!
    • By safar
      Hi   Clover limits the number of gpus to 4 :   from Clover source code : rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/Settings.c :   GFX_PROPERTIES                  gGraphics[4]; //no more then 4 graphics cards   Anybody knows why?   This number is limiting for me : - 1x gpu is AMD display GPU - 1x gpu is Supermicro's built-in vga IKVM output (Matrox 0x532102B)  
      - 3x gpus Nvidia for Cuda   I At present, I have to take off one Nvidia (but I'm trying to disable the build-in vga IKVM output through software, so that it's available for other operating systems : I'll make another post on that topic, to keep things clean)
    • By 16BitHusky
       am running sierra on a optiplex 780 with a pny gt 710. I followed a step by step guide here. My machine boots fine and actually shows that the pny 710 is recognized I have attached a link with proof. My issue is when I am doing anything that relates to video it artifacts and slows alot. I understand that this is a cheap graphics card but from what I read online it seems like the other hackintoshes dont have this issue with this card. I am wondering if you have had any similar problems or solutions to this. I  also have attached my config file. I asked around on reddit and they said this could be related to the qe/ci. I am pretty new at this so I don't know how to enable this. I have installed the web drivers for 10.12.6 and that hasnt changed anything. 
    • By deejaystage
      Hi guys!
      I have not acceleration in my IGPU graphic card, the system says: 7mb vram and everything goes very slowly, neither can to change resolution. I used lilu.kext and inteligraphicsfixup.kext but nothing happens. I tried a lot of things but nothing changes. Tried changing my Fake ID Intel: 0x59128086 and Inject Intel ig-platform: 0x59120000 but nothing happens. I`ve got this issue from 20 days ago and I don´t find the solution.
      My specs:
      Asus H110M-D mobo
      i3 7100 Kaby Lake
      Intel HD 630 IGPU
      4gb ddr4 ram
      500GB HDD WD
      High Sierra 10.13 OSX
      Any suggestion will be very appreciated!!
      Thanks in advance