Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prophile

Sluggish graphics -- OS X 10.8 on Virtualbox only supporting 5MB of VRAM

5 posts in this topic

Despite my setting the video memory in Virtualbox to the maximum, at 128MB, my Mountain Lion VM only shows in the System Profiler as supporting 5MB of video memory, and whatever I do I can't seem to get it to actually support 128MB in practice.

After doing a lot of research, I believe this is what's causing Mountain Lion's graphics to be really laggy. Window minimizing and maximizing from the dock is choppy, and the dock magnification is flickering as well. Flash player objects and Top Sites in Safari also flash and stutter with lots of white. The Applications folder, which I've placed in the dock, is jerky when it opens. Launchpad is barely usable.

I've tried searching around the internet for answers -- specifically for Mountain Lion virtual machine installs -- but I can't find anything useful.

For what it's worth, I have an Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875, equipped with Intel Core i7-3610qm quad core processor and Intel HD4000 integrated graphics + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

I also have Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and 10.6.8 (clone + update) installed as virtual machines on Virtualbox. 10.6.2's System Profiler shows up correctly as supporting 128MB of VRAM, but the updated clone (10.6.8) only shows up as supporting 3MB of VRAM. However, it doesn't matter as much to me, since Snow Leopard runs smoothly as a VM either way.)

As for the sluggish Mountain Lion VM, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks.

Advertisement

could it be caused by GPU using shared system RAM and not dedicated VRAM?

could it be caused by GPU using shared system RAM and not dedicated VRAM?

I tried setting Virtualbox to only run with my dedicated NVIDIA card and not the integrated Intel graphics, but it didn't ease the stuttering and System Profiler still only shows 5MB of VRAM. The Mountain Lion VM is definitely usable; it just doesn't have the smoothness and frame rates of my Snow Leopard VM.

Other weird problems with the Mountain Lion VM are Finder often not showing any folders and files and taking a long time to load (colored pinwheel), and Flash Player working in Safari (with white flashing) but stuttering in videos on Chrome (though Flash ads display normally) and not even showing up at all on Firefox despite being installed and with right-click identification.

It could be the Virtualbox software is not yet up to snuff for running ML, an update may be needed

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Badruzeus
      OPENSTEP was an operating system created by NeXT Software Inc. It served as the basis for Mac OS X after Steve Jobs came back to Apple after Apple acquired NeXT. This is simply to show computer history.

Guest OS: (Next) OpenSTEP 4.2
      Virtualization: VirtualBox 5.2.18
      Host OS: Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G22010)
      Credit for installation guide: http://openstep.bfx.re/

• By ginola
      Hello everyone
      I can not optimally configure my integrated video card on a gigabyte H370M DS3H motherboard.
      Would someone kindly help me?
      Thank you

Send me.zip

• By Sectum Sempra
      Hi.
      I have a Lenovo Z510-b Laptop which I wanted to Hackintosh.this is my first one so I'm a newbie and don't kjow much.
      I did the process using an easy guide on Hackintosh zone which all I needed to do was to restore a pre maid installer on a usb disk and then boot ETC.
      After installation, I have faced several issues which I have managed to fix some of them gradually, but there are some I couldn't make it work:
      GRAPHICS:
      first of all lets talk about my main issue. The macOS only recognizes 4MB of my igpu and I can't make any difference. ( ill say what I have done for it so far)
      and for my Nvidia graphic I think it won't go so well ( after screwing my laptop up for 3 times) because I only have discrete or igpu option in my bios. ( discrete AFA I heard won't work)
      so im mainly hoping for my igpu.
      Things I have done for igpu:
      Have installed:
      FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
      FakePCIID.kext
      intelGraphicsFixup.kext.kext using M u L Ti Be a St
      Have done clover settings:
      in devices tab,IntelGfx: 0x4128086
      in Graphics tab, ig-platform-id: 0x0a260006 ( inject EDID and inject Intel checked)
      have checked fix intelgfx in api tab under fixes section
      * I even set the VRAM box in graphics tab to like 64 or 256 to see if it changes anything although I don't really know what is that for lol*
      PS: my bios doesn't have any option to set Vram like some guides suggest.

AUDIO:
      this should be a minor issue. I do have the audio working using "M u L Ti Be_a St "and re booting after installing "100/200/300 series Audio Support" under "Realtek ALCxxx" section under audio tab under drivers section. but when I restart again, it just goes off! 
      the installation suggests "Adds Rename HDAS to HDEF patch to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist." but I had( and still have) this patch in my acpi section! so I don't know what is the deal there; but I think its minor.

Sorry for long text. I really hope you could help me out. I will now send you the information you need about my laptop specs and will attach my problem reporting files which I made using the script rehab man has suggested. NOTE : I get some warnings and errors during boot (verbous) although it boots perfectly, but I don't know if those are included in my problem reporting file or not, or whether it is important at all or not.but I haven't seen any errors there relating to graphics. ( I might be wrong tho).

My laptop:
      Lenovo Z510 
      Inel Core i7 4702MQ
      Intel HD 4600
      Nvidia Geforce GT740M
      Realtek Audio ( I thing its 230)
      Realtek Ethernet
      Intel Wi-fi ( obviously couldn't make it work)

Thanks in advance!
      debug_3979.zip
    • By linko
      Hello every body first of all my english is kinda bad sorry !!

this is my first topic sorry if its in the wrong place !!

I got a ATI mobility radeon hd 4500 on hp notebook pavillion dv6 "legacy" mod NO UEFI.

So i downloaded mackintosh yosemite from "hackintoshzone.com" on windows and restored it using Transmac on a usb

after that i installed yosemite on my "HP PAVILION DV6" and every thing worked just fine .But the only problem is the graphics

its glitching and lagging a little bit . and after  while i realized that the problem is in the Vram its just 3mb.

I googled this problem and i only get some solution using clover wich i can't use i guess because i only have LEGACY on my notebook but i do have chameleon installed by default ??!!

plz this problem is the only thing left so heeeelp

AND I don't know a lot of stuff about this so go easy  with the solutions pls if there any !

• By fusion71au
      Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave in VirtualBox 5.x.x on a Windows Host
      Following on from my previous guide on how to create a VMware virtual machine running Vanilla OS X El Capitan in Windows, I’ve decided to write a similar guide for creating a VirtualBox El Capitan VM. 

The virtual machine should be useful for testing El Capitan and also for creating installers for use on a real machine/hackintosh.

There are other tutorials and videos on the net about running OS X on Windows machines using pre-made VMDK disk images but you can never guarantee what else is in there….

I’ve gathered info for this guide from several threads in the Multibooting and Virtualisation section of this forum and also the wider internet eg

@colt2 HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO for VMware
      @dsmccombs comment on faking Ivybridge Processor
      @E:V:A http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55572430&postcount=6
      @Tech Reviews video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7X07U63lwg.
      VirtualBox Forum: Status of OSX on OSX

Requirements
         Intel PC with four or more CPU cores running Windows 7 X64 or later OS (2 or more cores needed for OS X)    4GB or more RAM (2GB or more will be needed for OS X)    Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine    Oracle VM VirtualBox v 5.0.34    Install OS X El Capitan app and Mac or Hack to prepare installation iso <-- Now, no longer necessary to have previous access to a Mac or Hack by building the Installer.app from scratch - see post#75    16GB or larger exFAT formatted USB stick to transfer El Capitan iso from Mac/Hack to Host PC  
      Prepare Installation ISO on your Mac or Hack
      1.  On your Mac or Hack, download "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the App Store into your Applications folder.
      2.  Download and unzip the CECI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes.  Note: you will need approx 16GB of free space on your hard disk for the script to complete.

3.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:
      cd downloads chmod +x CECI.tool ./CECI.tool 4.  At the end of the process, you will have an El Capitan iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.

Create an El Capitan Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
      1.  Open the VirtualBox program and click the "New" button to create a new VM.

2.  Select Mac OS X and Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (64 -bit) for Operating System type and version.  I named my Virtual Machine "El_Capitan", then clicked next...

3.  Leave the Memory size at the recommended 2048 MB, then click next.

4.  Choose to "Create a virtual hard disk now", then click the create button.

5.  For the hard disk file type, the default is VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) but I have selected VMDK for inter-operability with VMWare.  Click next...

6.  For Storage on physical hard disk, I have chosen the default Dynamically allocated (grows larger to a set limit as you need more disk space).

7.  On the File location and size screen, you can set the location of the new virtual hard disk and its size - I recommend changing disk size to 40GB or larger.  When you click the create button, you will now see your new VM in the VirtualBox main GUI.

8.  Click the settings button on the Main Menu to tweak a few settings....
         a.  On the System/Motherboard tab in Boot Order, you can uncheck the Floppy Drive (who has these now?)

b.  On the System/Processor tab, you can increase the allocated CPU cores to 2

c.  On the Display tab, you can increase the allocated Video Memory to 128MB

d.  On the Storage tab, click on the icon of the Optical Drive and select "Choose Virtual Optical Disk File". 

Navigate and select the El Capitan ISO we created earlier...

e.  Click the OK button to finalise the VM settings.

Patch El Capitan vbox configuration file with DMI Settings from a Mac
      1.  From the start menu, type cmd and click run as administrator to open an administrative command prompt. 

2.  Choose a Mac Model similar to your host system, then type the following lines, followed by <enter>  after each line.  Make sure you first close all VirtualBox Windows and the VirtualBox program, otherwise any changes you make won't stick...

Eg iMac11,3
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F2238BAE" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 MacBookPro11,3
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 Macmini6,2
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Macmini6,2" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 3.  Optional- For some host systems eg those with Haswell and newer CPUs, you might have to spoof an older CPU to avoid VirtualBox errors.  You can try from one of the following if this happens:

To spoof Lynnfield i5 750 CPU
      VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 06100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff To spoof IvyBridge CPU
      VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff or
      VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff 4.  Close the command prompt window.

Installation of El Capitan
      We are now ready to start the El_Capitan Virtual Machine....

Installation should be relatively straight forward, just following the prompts of the OS X installer:
      1.  Select language, agree to legal terms

2.  Use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to erase and format the virtual hard drive as a single partition GUID Mac OS X Extended.  I named my drive "Macintosh HD" but you can enter whatever you like eg El_Capitan.

3.  Quit DU and choose Macintosh HD to install El Capitan on.
      4.  After 20-30 min (depending on how fast your system is), the installation will complete.  At this point, unmount the El Capitan ISO by clicking the Devices menu from the VM window, click Optical Drives, then choose Remove disk from virtual drive.  The VM is now ready to reboot into OS X from the virtual hard drive.
      5.  At the welcome screen, choose your country and keyboard layout.  You can skip transfer information, location services and logging in with your Apple ID if you wish…
      6.  Create a User Account and select your Time Zone.  You can skip sending diagnostics and usage data to Apple….
      7.  Finally, you will arrive at the El Capitan Desktop.

8.  Network/internet and audio should work OOB but on my system, the sounds were distorted.  Unfortunately, there is no QE/CI and the VM resolution will be fixed without the ability to dynamically resize the VM window (no VirtualBox additions for OS X guests atm). 

Customization with VBoxManage
      1.  You can change the default resolution of 1024*768 (after shutting down the VM) with the VBoxManage command from the Windows Administrative Command Prompt:
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N (Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5) referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1920x1200 screen resolution respectively.

Update:  For VirtualBox 5.2.x, the command for changing screen resolution has changed...

VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution XxY (where X=Horizontal screen resolution, Y=Vertical screen resolution)
      eg
      VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1280x1024 2.  Adding serials and other SMBIOS details for the System Information Screen
      VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "W8#######B6" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" "W8#########1A" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Apple Inc." VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "iMac" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "IM112.0057.03B" A listing of known issues with Mac OS X guests can be found in the VirtualBox Manual - link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch14.html.

Vanilla Mavericks and Yosemite, Snow Leopard from Retail DVD
      The same VM settings for El Capitan will also boot and run vanilla installations of OS X Mavericks and Yosemite .  Attached to this post are installer scripts to create bootable Mavericks (CMI.tool) and Yosemite (CYI.tool) ISOs for VirtualBox and VMware.

With the respective OS X installer apps in the Applications folder, download and run the installer tools using terminal ie

To create a Mavericks ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CMI.tool ./CMI.tool To create a Yosemite ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CYI.tool ./CYI.tool Here is a screenshot of the VM running Mavericks 10.9.5...

Finally, those without a Mac/Hack to prepare the install media can purchase a retail Snow Leopard DVD directly from Apple and install OSX 10.6.3 on their virtual machines (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion run quite happily in VirtualBox with 1 CPU, 1-2 GB of RAM and the rest of the settings unchanged from above).  Once you update by combo update to SL 10.6.8, you can directly download El Capitan from the App Store for free .

UPDATE macOS Sierra 10.12 to 10.12.6: For macOS Sierra, use CSI.tool in post#51.
      UPDATE macOS High Sierra 17A365:  For macOS High Sierra, use CHSI.tool in post#73.
      UPDATE macOS Mojave Beta:  For macOS Mojave Beta, use CMJI.tool on page 4 of thread.

Good luck and enjoy
      CECI.tool.zip
      CYI.tool.zip
      CMI.tool.zip