Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DIY Generic Driver For Any Card Reader ! ;) by nikkpap

9 posts in this topic

Hi to all i just found that if you edit the original AppleStorageDrivers.kext and the inside AppleUSBCardReader.kext you can probable have Generic Driver for your card reader too....

what i did was to copy the AppleStorageDrivers.kext to my desktop and right click on it and show package contents and edit again the

AppleUSBCardReader.kext with show package contents and final i used a plist editor to edit the Info.plist (inside the AppleUSBCardReader.kext) so go to the IOPersonalities --> AppleUSBCardReader --> Physical Interconnect Location (Change it to External) and the Vendor Identification (Change it to Generic or what its on your System Report on the USB Section ) and in vender id and product id change it to yours but on in hex mode 0x2222 convert it to dec http://www.stringfunction.com/hex-decimal.html

tested on mac os x lion 10.7.5 and previous 10.7.x

Generic Card Reader.zip

So this method should solve all the problems related to SD Card Readers. Nice! (I'll try it on my 6720s. The Reader isn't unsupported, but i want the SD Icon :))

Thanks for the great info nikkpap! I was even able to get my multislot card reader working using your method. Quite nice.

To avoid editing system kexts, I made a plist-only kext that is just one of the IOKit personalities in AppleUSBCardReader with Internal replaced with External and the vendor/device IDs changed. I'm attaching it here in case anyone else might find it useful. Just change the idVendor and idProduct in Info.plist to match your card reader, place in /S/L/E and rebuild cache. This way you don't have to modify the original AppleUSBCardReader.kext.