[Guide] OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 on Shuttle SG33G5

LilKevin715

6 posts in this topic

This system specific guide is intended for Shuttle SG33G5 systems. Credit goes to rockinron_1 and his Vanilla all-in-one guide for getting my system up and running. For this install guide I pretty much followed his guide, but with a few modifications that are specific for the SG33G5 as well as organizing the info a little bit differently. This guide was created so that I could reference it in the future if needed (e.g. reinstall). At the same time it might be also useful for anyone searching the web on how to install Mountain Lion on their Shuttle SG33G5.

My System Specs:
Shuttle SG33G5 bios 04/25/2008
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Nvidia 9500GT 512MB DDR3
4GB DDR2-800MHz Ram
Mountain Lion 10.8.0 Retail

Note: If you would like to dual or multiboot with Windows 7 install Windows 7 SP1 before installing Mountain Lion. Once Windows 7 SP1 has been installed create a FAT partition(s) for your Mountain Lion install.

Install Requirements:
1) Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2) Minimum 2GB Ram
3) A working install of OSX to create the USB installer
4) A USB HD, USB Flash Drive, or even a memory card with at least 8GB capacity.

Required Downloads:
ALC888 kext by Elad Nava
Kext Wizard (download in ALC888 link)
ElliottForceLegacyRTC kext
Marvell Yukon 88E8053 kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip
AHCI 3rdParty kext
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext.zip

DSDT Editor
Java for Mac - Required for DSDT Editor, Google for the latest version
Kext Utility

More downloads are linked later in the guide.

Part I – Setup the USB Drive
1) Insert your USB drive and open Disk Utility
2) Select your USB drive on the left and then select the Partition tab
3) Under Partition Layout select 1 Partition
4) In the name section rename the drive as “USB” (without quotes)
5) The format of the drive should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
6) The size should be at least 8GB
7) Click on the options button. Select the Master Boot Record partition scheme then click ok.
8) Click on the Apply button to format the USB Drive. Click on the partition button to proceed.

Part IIA – Creating the USB Installer
1) Open Terminal and type the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
and hit Enter
2) Type the following on the next line in Terminal:
killall Finder
and hit Enter
3) Mount/open your Mountain Lion DMG. If you downloaded Mountain Lion from the app store go to the Applications Folder (where it is saved to by default).
4) Right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and select "Show Package Contents". Then go to Contents, then SharedSupport, and finally double click "InstallESD.dmg"
5) Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:
open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
6) In Disk Utility select “Mac OS X Base System” and then select the Restore Tab.
7) Drag and drop the “USB” drive on the left to the Destination box on the right.
8) Click on the Restore button, then the Erase button. The process will take a few minutes.
9) There will be two “Mac OS X Base System” icons present. Right-click each and select “Get Info”. The one we want to use will have the same capacity as the USB drive.
10) Once you have identified the USB Mac OS X Base System open it and navigate to the System folder, and then the Installation folder.
11) Delete the “Packages” link. Then create a new folder inside the same Installation folder called “Packages” (without quotes).
12) Open “Mac OS X Install ESD” and navigate to the Packages folder. Select everything in that folder and copy it to the Packages folder created in the previous step. This copying process might take a while.
13) Go back to “Mac OS X Install ESD” and copy mach_kernel to the root of your USB Mac OS X Base System.

Part IIB – Patching the USB Installer
1) Download FakeSMC (only FakeSMC.kext needed) and NullCPUPowerManagement
2) Navigate to the /System/Library/Extensions folder of your USB drive. Place FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext that was downloaded from the previous step into this folder.
3) Download the Chameleon Bootloader Installer
4) Open the Chameleon Bootloader Installer. Once you have reached the Installation Type screen click on the “Change Install Location…” button. Select your USB drive. An easy way to identify the USB drive is by the size / total space. Then click on the Continue button and finally the Install button.
5) Go to the root of your USB Mac OS X Base System and create a new folder called “Extra” (without quotes).
6) Download Chameleon Wizard
7) Open Chameleon Wizard and go to the SMBios Tab and then click on the Edit button.
8) In the Premade SMBioses section select a system that most closely resembles your system. I chose iMac (9,1) – Core 2 Duo.
9) Click on the Save As button and save the file to the Extra folder that was created on your USB drive.

Part IIC – USB Installer with MBR (optional)
For those of you that would like to run a dual or multi-boot system with Windows 7 you will have to perform a few additional steps. By default the OSX installer will not install to a HD with a MBR partition setup.

1) Download OSInstall(MBR)
2) On your USB drive navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/. Delete OSInstall.mpkg and replace it with the one downloaded in the previous step.
3) On the USB drive navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/. Delete OSInstall and replace it with the one that was downloaded.

Part IID – Rehide hidden files
1) Open Terminal and type the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
and hit Enter
2) Type the following on the next line in Terminal:
killall Finder
and hit Enter
3) Type exit and then hit enter. Close Terminal.

Part III – Bios Setup
1) Plug in your USB drive.
2) Boot your SG33G5 and press the Delete key repeatedly at the post screen to enter the Bios.
3) Set your HD access mode to AHCI from IDE. From within the Bios navigate to Integrated Peripherals, then OnChip IDE Device, and finally SATA Mode.
4) In the Bios navigate to Integrated Peripherals, and then USB Device Setting. The USB 2.0 Controller should be enabled, USB Operation Mode should be high speed, USB Storage Function should be enabled, and the USB Mass Storage Device Boot Setting should be Auto Mode.
5) Navigate to PnP/PCI Configurations in the Bios. Change the Init Display First option to PCIEx/HDMI.
6) Save the bios settings (F10) and the computer should restart.

Part IV – OSX Installation
Important Note: Everytime the computer boots from the USB drive the Bios/CMOS settings will be reset on the next reboot (cold or warm reboot it doesn’t matter). I don’t know the exact cause of the issue (Chameleon/Apple Installer?), but there is a fix once we get Mountain Lion up and running. Until Mountain Lion is up and running you will have to go back into the Bios and change your settings. The most important is changing the SATA mode back to AHCI from IDE mode. This is very annoying to do after several reboots but it must be done.

1) Plug in your USB drive.
2) Boot your SG33G5 and press the Esc key repeatedly to access the Boot Menu.
3) Select your USB drive from the boot menu.
4) Once the Darwin boot menu has appeared, select Mac OS X Base System with the –v (verbose) option and hit enter. I had to boot with –v PciRoot=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes for my system.
5) Once in the installer go to Utilities and then Disk Utility.
6) Select your HD and partition it as desired. If you are only booting Mountain Lion by itself then format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and select a GUID partition scheme. If you have Windows 7 SP1 already installed and are multi-booting select the FAT partition reserved for Mountain Lion. Select the Erase tab and format the partition as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). For the purposes of this guide I will name my Mountain Lion partition OSX ML. Once you are finished close Disk Utility and go back to the installer.
7) After the SLA screen you will be presented with the partition(s) setup on your HD to install Mountain Lion onto. Select OSX ML and click on the Install button.
8) Once the time remaining countdown reaches approximately 6 minutes the screen might go blank and appear the installer/computer has frozen; this is normal. The computer will reboot by itself once the installer is finished.
9) Go into the Bios and change your system settings as described in Part III.
10) Select your USB drive from the boot menu.
11) Once the Darwin boot menu has appeared, select Mac OS X Base System with the –v (verbose) option and hit enter. I had to boot with –v PciRoot=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes for my system.
12) Once the installer has loaded go to Utilities and then Terminal
13) In the terminal window type:
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"OSX ML"/System/Library/Extensions/
and then hit Enter.
This assumes the name of the partition Mountain Lion is installed onto is OSX ML.
14) On the next line in the terminal window type:
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OSX ML"/System/Library/Extensions/
and then hit Enter.
15) Type the following into the terminal window:
reboot
And then hit Enter.
16) Go into the Bios and change your system settings as described in Part III.

Part V – Booting into Mountain Lion and initial setup
1) Select your USB drive from the boot menu.
2) Once the Darwin boot menu has appeared, select your Mountain Lion Install partition. In my case it is OSX ML. Boot with –v and any other necessary flags. You should now boot into Mountain Lion. Don’t worry if it appears the boot process gets stuck at “[PCI Configuration Begin]”. You should see and hear plenty of HD access indicating the system has not frozen.
3) Once you reach the “How do you connect?” screen during the Mountain Lion setup process select Local Network.
4) On the “Your Internet Connection” screen just click on the Continue button, leaving all fields blank. You will get a popup window saying “Could not configure network”; click on the continue button.

Part VI – Setting up Chameleon
1) Once you have reached the Mountain Lion desktop open System Preferences and then go to Security and Privacy.
2) Click on the lock on the bottom left of the window and enter your password.
3) In the “Allow applications downloaded from:” area change the setting to “Anywhere”. Click on the “Allow From Anywhere” button. Close the System Preferences window.
4) Optional, but recommended. Go to Finder at the top left of the screen and select Preferences. On the General Tab in the “Show these items on the desktop” area select all four options.
5) Open the Chameleon Bootloader Installer that was previously downloaded. Once you have reached the Installation Type screen click on the “Change Install Location…” button. Select your OSX ML HD and then click on the Continue button and finally the Install button.
6) Navigate to your USB MAC OS X Base System and copy the “Extra” folder to the root of your Mountain Lion partition/drive.
7) Eject your USB drive.

Part VII – DSDT
1) Install Java for OSX that was previously downloaded (its required for DSDT Editor to run).
2) Open DSDT Editor. Go to File and then Extract DSDT.
3) Go to IASL and then Compile. If you get any error(s) click on the “Fix Errors” button.
4) Go back to IASL and then select Save AML as…
5) In the Save As box type in “DSDT.aml” (without quotes). Then click on the downward facing arrow to select the location to save the file. Select your Mountain Lion partition and then the folder named “Extra”. Click on save and then close DSDT Editor.

Part VIII – Chameleon Wizard (optional, recommended)
If you use boot flags like on my system you can have them enabled every time the system boots without typing them out.

1) Open Chameleon Wizard and go to the org.chameleon.Boot tab.
2) Select the options you would like to enable. On my system I used:
GUI
Time Out: 5 (seconds)
Ethernet Built In
PciRoot=1
DSDT.aml (click on + to navigate to your DSDT.aml file)
SMBios.plist (click on + to navigate to your SMBios.plist file)
Restart Fix
Graphics Enabler
3) Click on the Save As button and select the “Extra” folder located in your Mountain Lion partition as the destination
4) Exit Chameleon Wizard.

Part VIIII – Kext Installation
There are several items that do not work out of the box for the Shuttle SG33G5. Items that are not working out of the box include: Networking (Marvell Yukon 88E8053), Orange HD icons, DVD Player playback, F12 Disc Eject, Audio (Realtek ALC888), and most importantly that annoying Bios/CMOS reset. Let’s go ahead and take care of these issues.

1) Create a Folder on the desktop, let’s call it Patches (or whatever you want).
2) Place the following kexts that were downloaded into the Patches folder:
IONetworkingFamily.kext (Marvell 88E8053)
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext (Orange HD icons, F12 Disc eject, and DVDPlayer)
ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext (Bios/CMOS reset issue)
3) Open Kext Utility. Highlight/select all three kexts and drag the three kexts onto the window to install them. When the kexts have been installed click on the Quit button.
4) Open Kext Wizard and go to the Installation tab. Click on the Browse button and select the two kext files AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext and then click on Open.
5) The Destination should be System/Library/Extensions and the Target disk should be your Mountain Lion partition. Click on the Install button. When the kext installation is completed click on the OK button and exit Kext Wizard.
6) Shutdown the computer. Then power the computer back on.
7) Go into the Bios and change your system settings as described in Part III. (Last time, Yay!)
8) Once back in Mountain Lion go to System Preferences, and then select Network. You should get a pop up window indicating the Network adapter has been detected. Click on the OK button and then click on Apply.
9) Go back to System Preferences and then select Sound. Select the Output tab and then click on Internal Speakers. Increase the volume all the way to the right. This controls the output to the black speaker out jack on the back.
10) Congrats your done! You should have a mostly fully functioning Mountain Lion install.

Part X – Misc Stuff
1) Sleep doesn’t work. If you know how to get sleep working then please let me know! In the mean time go to System Preferences and then select Energy Saver. Set the Computer sleep time slider to Never (far right). Uncheck “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” and “Allow power button to put the computer to sleep”.
2) Due to the nature of using a hackintosh we don’t want updates downloaded and installed automatically. Software Update should be set so that downloading and installing updates should be initiated by the user. Go back to System Preferences and then select Software Update. Uncheck “download newly available updates in the background” and “Install system data files and security updates”.
3) Shutdown sometimes works. So far in my experience I’d say it’s a 50-50 chance that the system will not fully power off after selecting shutdown. Holding the power button down powers off the system with no ill effects once the display indicates there is no signal input.
4) The default color profile is a bit off when it comes to accurate colors. Go to System Preferences and select Displays. Select the Color tab and choose the Generic RGB Profile.

System Update History Notes:
Software updates are done via Software Update unless otherwise noted

10.8.0 – Initial System Install
10.8.1 – Nothing
10.8.2 – Reinstall ALC888 Audio via Kext Wizard.

10.8.3 – Reinstall ALC888 Audio via Kext Wizard.
10.8.4 – Reinstall ALC888 Audio via Kext Wizard.

10.8.5 – Reinstall ALC888 Audio via Kext Wizard.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

• 7 months later...

DEAR LilKevin715,

Thanks for your Guide.

I also have a SG33G5 retired from my office, and now I want to use it in my living room as a HTPC.

Followed your guide and tried to install OSX ML to it but encounter a problem.

When installing the OSX, try the same "–v PciRoot=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" at booting, but the computer restarted each time when the verbose finished.

I notice that the BIOS setting was not changed when it rebooted. Can't get into the installation screen.

I also tried using installation usb disk (from tonymacx86), the installation stuck at "PCI configuration begin" then a gray screen.

Do you have any suggestion?

Cause the 9500gt is hard to get these days, (I was using the internal graphic card before running windows 7), I bought a nVidia GT640 instead. Other components are just like yours.

Thanks for your response in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi there jifanlin sorry for the late reply. As you can see by the lack of replies to this thread there isn't a whole lot of interest in the SG33G5 here on the forums. Have you adjusted the jumpers on the motherboard next to the PCI-E slot? I have mine set for the PCI-E graphics slot enabled as well as going into the BIOS and enabling the option to set the PCI-E/PEG slot to be initiated first. Perhaps that might work for you. If not you could try getting a 9500gt DDR2 or DDR3 on ebay for not too much money.

• 7 months later...

HI lil kevin... i would like to install snow leopard on my laptop.. Plz help me out if you can.These are my Laptop's configuration

ASUS K55VD

i3 2350M CPU @ 2.30 GHz

2.0 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE 610m

4.0 RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate

500 HDD

If u cant help me out, then plz tell me a forum to ask my doubt regarding this

thanks

Asuspai