No Audio After 10.8.2 Update

gorila1

14 posts in this topic

On my EP45-DS3 with ALC889a/885 I use DSDT and patched AppleHDA.

After the 10.8.2 update the audio has vanished but, the full functionality has been restored by just re-installing the AppleHDA in S/L/E.

Therefore, my advice is to back-up the patched AppleHDA before installing the 10.8.2. update and re-installing it after the update.

Edited by fantomas1
Please remember that you are in a public forum, a bit of courtesy is always welcome. It's always nice to start by saying "Hi" or "Hello" before asking a question or seeking help.

Hi gorila1

it's quite normal if you are using a patched AppleHDA to have audio, this will be replaced by a new "vanilla" version on each update, so you must either use the previous patched version that you had used before the update or wait until the new version is patched, as told nyolc8!

The better way is to do it after the update's install and before restarting your computer ! ;)

Cordially

• Like 1

I'm also a fan of the previously documented "after update done but before restart, add back any patched kexts that were replaced, then reboot" method. Update via app store won't let you do this, unless you DL only via appstore and dig up the installer package manually and run it your self (Hint, it's usually in the folder that just grew by about a gigabyte during the download). Have also noticed my custom color tags on patched kexts, that normally make it easy to see it was replaced, have been remaining on their replacement apple update kexts in ML, so have to look closer at version number to be sure who is who. Got tricked by that in a couple battles with AppleACPIPlatform, but in the end, I won the war. :)

Hi gorila1

it's quite normal if you are using a patched AppleHDA to have audio, this will be replaced by a new "vanilla" version on each update, so you must either use the previous patched version that you had used before the update or wait until the new version is patched, as told nyolc8!

The better way is to do it after the update's install and before restarting your computer ! ;)

Cordially

Salut Fantomas!

Excusez-moi for skipping courtesies and going directly to the subject but we gorillas usually tend to be quite straightforward. ;)

The 10.8.1 update went so easy with no troubles at all while the 10.8.2 required a bit of post-install action. Over the past 2 days I have noticed that many people had this issue elsewhere and were seeking help. Hence my post was addressing the obvious, for you, the experts. I hope my post will prove helpful to those less skilled.

I wish you all a pleasant weekend!

Cheers old chaps! :star_sunglasses:

• Like 2

I'm also a fan of the previously documented "after update done but before restart, add back any patched kexts that were replaced, then reboot" method. Update via app store won't let you do this, unless you DL only via appstore and dig up the installer package manually and run it your self (Hint, it's usually in the folder that just grew by about a gigabyte during the download). Have also noticed my custom color tags on patched kexts, that normally make it easy to see it was replaced, have been remaining on their replacement apple update kexts in ML, so have to look closer at version number to be sure who is who. Got tricked by that in a couple battles with AppleACPIPlatform, but in the end, I won the war. :)

Can't agree more.

My tagged kexts remained the same even updates replaced them

anyway, this is a little confusing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I just newly installed 10.8.2, like everyone, everything works but not audio. I'm new to this, can someone explain the steps to do what gorilla1 suggested, replacing AppleHDA.txt?

I have a backup partition running 10.8.1 that has working audio, I tried dragging the AppleHDA.txt file in that S/L/E folder and put it in the 10.8.2 S/L/E folder and rebooted, but that didnt' work.

Please advise!

AppleHDA.kext not .txt :) Kext is the file extension for "kernel extension" as they add funtionality to the kernel. Unfortunatly, they are not drag and drop, mostly due to the need for proper file permissions to be set. Use a utility such as Kext Wizard to install it and then use Kext Wizard's permission repair and cache rebuild options in the utilities tab. Then reboot

This seems to have worked for me. Several patched kexts even after repair permissions were still owned by me. After changing it to root, which it should be, suddenly the sound control panel was showing everything.

sudo chown root

Now I have spdif audio out.

One caveat to this: If your not familiar with command line in OSX or Linux, be very, very careful as you can easily render your entire system unbootable by changing file ownership and/or permissions, especially if applied recursively. Kext Wizard's permission repair and cache rebuild options will first run; sudo chown root:wheel "each kext in Extensions" - before it repairs permissions and rebuilds the cache and if you use it to install the kexts in the first place, it will apply proper ownership during install as well, where as drag and drop and then OSX Disk utility repair permissions will usually just get you pop up messages saying the kext was installed incorrectly and cannot be used. Drag and drop of files will normally make "you" the file's owner, which for system files is not a good thing. So use a proper tool to install them in the first place and all will be well.

Hee hee. I'm older than you. Started on an AIX system in 1993 with command line only on a green text monitor. Not afraid of UNIX but I respect it. Learned permissions repair don't do squat yesterday and took the law into my own hands. :police:

Although I did do something wrong last night (probably after a few drinks) and messed up everything. Carbon Cloner's disk image didn't work, even after blessing, so I'm back after having made fewer mistakes this time. Although networking is out. Grr.

Wondering if CCC can make a bootable disk. Will give it a try on an actual disk and not an image.

Edit: Went into the control panel and poked around. Once firewire ethernet was deleted DHCP did its thing. Realized with I did wrong was edit org.chamelion.plist with text edit instead of going the sudo pico route. That boned up the system good.

• Like 1

CCC can make bootable clone but disk image is not bootable unless restored to HD first, once done reinstall chameleon to drive if not using the orig still as the bootloader. Not sure why text edit would have caused any problem with org.chameleon.boot.plist edits, I use it for all different plist editing, file permission can prevent saving changes in text edit, but that wouldn't create problem. Very interesting.

• Like 1

Saving it to desktop and dragging it back in the Extras was probably a mistake. Forgot to change group and owner. Didn't boot again without a panic.

Thanks for the CCC info. I'll defer to you in the future for hackintosh advice.

I'd post pics of the build but it's nothing special. It geekbenched at 14504. This mac mini got up to 4054. Suddenly Lightroom doesn't feel like being encased in jello.

• Like 1