I want to upgrade Lion to mountain lion

SaarBH

9 posts in this topic

hello guys,

I'm running lion on my pc for like a year and a half now, And I wanted to upgrade mountain lion,

I've read that I have to boot 64bit kernel first (until now I thought I was) but when I checked, my settings tab was like:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)

Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0

Boot Volume: Lion

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: Saar BH’s Mac Pro

User Name: Saar BH (saar92)

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Time since boot: 17 minutes

So I decided to just deselect the i386 flag from the boot.plist, but when restarted and tried to boot and my lion is showing just spinning circle and the apple logo..

When I'm loading the system in verbose mode Is hangs at this part:

http://i.imgur.com/3848u.jpg

What should I do about it?

Thanks in advance from Israel,Saar.

You may have to leave the boot flag in the boot.plist, or boot with 32-bit kexts with arch=i386 in chameleon. You can upgrade to Mountain Lion from Lion sure, it just says that not all of your installed kexts are 64-bit.

Yap but ML doesn't work with 32-bit kexts, from what I've read ML is working with cpu architecture that only compiles with 64-bit, am I wrong?

I think you miss understand me, when I'm booting without the 32-bit flag (arch=i386) it works more then fine, but when I drop the flag, what i get is that kernel panic in that photo..

how you so sure about upgrading to ML?

In the System Information window, scroll down under the Software section, there should be a section called "Extensions". Click it and it should show you a list of your 32-bit and 64-bit (Intel) kexts. Identify the 32-bit kexts and post a list or photo of the 32-bit kexts here.

• Like 1

It seems your computer may be able to upgrade just fine, but be sure to create a whole system backup to another hard drive using Time Machine just in case anything goes wrong. The 32-bit kexts will be overwritten with newer 64-bit kexts from 10.8, because all but one of the 32-bit kexts are included with the system, so you don't have to worry about downloading new ones.

• Like 1

It seems your computer may be able to upgrade just fine, but be sure to create a whole system backup to another hard drive using Time Machine just in case anything goes wrong. The 32-bit kexts will be overwritten with newer 64-bit kexts from 10.8, because all but one of the 32-bit kexts are included with the system, so you don't have to worry about downloading new ones.

Thanks you, you've helped me so much!

I've backup my system with time machine and trying to install ML now, will post the results here after :)

• Like 1