Hello and welcome to this tutorial how to install and update Snow Leopard on the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 / UD5 / UD7.
This is my first tutorial so please leave a comment if I can improve things or if you have tips.
Please note: English is not my primary language so grammar could be wrong sometimes!
First a bit of a backstory. I've been trying to install hackintosh on this board now for 2 weeks and I just got everything working. Only the sound is a bit weird (only if you don't move your mouse, but when skype is open nothing is wrong).
So I took some pictures to make a guide. Sorry about the picture quality, I don't have the best camera.
FOR THE PHOTOS GO TO: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9853896/
Let's get started.
You'll need to download the Hazard OS X 10.6.2 (you will find it using google) and burn it to a disk.
*If you want to install it on a internal hard disk you may want to set in the bios the hdd to AHCI mode, if you want to install it to an external hdd, then you don't have to do this*
1. Boot from DVD and use the bootflags: -v busratio=20 cpus=1
2. Goto Disk Utility and format the drive you want to install Mac OS X on.
3. Click on continue and agree, then choose youre drive and click continue.
4. Click on customize.
5. Select the following:
Graphic_drivers: Choose you're videocard (some cards will be supported if you upgrade to 10.6.8 like mine ATI Radeon HD 5770)
Audio_Drivers: Nothing, we will use a kext after the installation.
Networking: Select your wireless card (DON'T use the RT73 it will cause errors) for LAN we will have to install it afterwards.
PS2 (if you have a ps2 keyboard/mouse)
Additional: Additional Fonts
6. Click kon Done and Install. Click on Skip if it's checking the DVD.
7. Wait for the install to complete, after that, reboot and boot from the harddisk you've installed Mac OS X on.
8. Use the -v bootflag to see if there are any errors (If you did everything right then that shouldn't be the case)
9. Once you're in the welcome screen and your ps2 keyboard/mouse doesn't work, then just replug the connector behind your computer and it works again.
10. Then choose you're country and keyboard layout.
11. Choose: Do not transfer my information now.
12. Connect to the internet (wireless) or choose: My computer does not connect to the internet.
13. by Registration Information don't fill anything and click on Continue, and click Continue again.
14. Create your account and click on Continue. Choose a profile picture and click on Continue.
15. Click on: Register later.
16. Set up your timezone and click Done.
The installation is now complete!
Updating to 10.6.8
The update process is simple. Follow these steps:
1. Download the 10.6.8 Combo Update from the Apple site (click)
2. Download the Legacy_Kernel-10.8.0.v2 (click) (this is not from the Nawcom blog becouse it's down at the moment)
3. Install the Combo Update and DON'T RESTART!
4. Now install the Legacy_Kernel. Don't force 64 bit.
5. Now reboot and boot with -v -f.
6. If everything goes well, you should end up with a working Mac OS X 10.6.8!
You dont have to boot with -v or -f anymore, only if you have installed/removed a new kext.
Installing the sound and LAN
The Audio was a bit tricky to get, and it doesn't work without problems. Like when you don't move the mouse crackling can start to begin. But when you have skype open (maybe other programs to) I don't have any problem.
LAN was easy to get working. Just follow these steps.
1. Download RTL81xx OS X Driver (click)
2. Install the driver.
3. Reboot with -v. If there are no errors and you was able to boot back into OS X then LAN should be working!
1. Go on google and find the VoodooHDA 0.2.1
2. Open and install the package.
3. Reboot with -v. Sound should be working now, frontpanel or backpanel.
Congratulations! You now got yourself a working hackintosh!