Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

How to import iPhoto 6 Photos in Folders

2 posts in this topic

I have an old g5 power mac running OSX 10.4 and iPhoto 6. My wife spent alot of time organizing the photos into folders by events and we would, ideally, like to move these folders over to a new mac running the latest version of iPhoto.

I know there's several tools that will allow you to export the photos in the folders BUT I haven't found any that will let you IMPORT those folders / automatically create those folders (and put pictures in those folders) on the NEW mac..

Anyone know of a way to do this / software, that doesn't require me re-creating all the folders / events manually and then importing photos, one folder at a time?

Thanks for your help...

Judging by the age of this post, I assume you have already taken care of the problem.

If by organizing in folders, you mean within iPhoto, than moving your library is easy.

If iPhoto has not been opened on the new computer

Simply move your existing library from your old computer to the new computer and open iPhoto. The library is stored in: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures and the default name is "iPhoto Library".

If you have opened iPhoto on the new computer but you want to overwrite all the new library

Go to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures and double-click the existing iPhoto library on your new computer. Verify that you do not need the existing library.Close iPhoto and drag the library to the trash. Simply move your existing library from your old computer to the new computer and open iPhoto. The library is stored in: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures and the default name is "iPhoto Library".

If you have started using iPhoto on the new computer and you want to merge libraries

In this case, I would strongly consider taking a look at iPhoto Library Manager (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) This software includes many features that in my opinion should have been included with iPhoto. It will enable you to merge all or part of your old library.

Always backup

In any case, I would suggest that you take the time to set up Time Machine and allow it to complete its initial backup. This will ensure that you can recover from any mistakes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By woellie123
      Hello and welcome to this tutorial how to install and update Snow Leopard on the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 / UD5 / UD7.
      This is my first tutorial so please leave a comment if I can improve things or if you have tips.
      Please note: English is not my primary language so grammar could be wrong sometimes!
      First a bit of a backstory. I've been trying to install hackintosh on this board now for 2 weeks and I just got everything working. Only the sound is a bit weird (only if you don't move your mouse, but when skype is open nothing is wrong).
      So I took some pictures to make a guide. Sorry about the picture quality, I don't have the best camera.
      FOR THE PHOTOS GO TO: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9853896/
      Let's get started.
      You'll need to download the Hazard OS X 10.6.2 (you will find it using google) and burn it to a disk.
      *If you want to install it on a internal hard disk you may want to set in the bios the hdd to AHCI mode, if you want to install it to an external hdd, then you don't have to do this*
      1. Boot from DVD and use the bootflags: -v busratio=20 cpus=1
      2. Goto Disk Utility and format the drive you want to install Mac OS X on.
      3. Click on continue and agree, then choose youre drive and click continue.
      4. Click on customize.
      5. Select the following:
      Kernels: legacy_kernel_10.2.0
      Graphic_drivers: Choose you're videocard (some cards will be supported if you upgrade to 10.6.8 like mine ATI Radeon HD 5770)
      Audio_Drivers: Nothing, we will use a kext after the installation.
      Chipset_Drivers_And_Injectors: ATIATA
      Networking: Select your wireless card (DON'T use the RT73 it will cause errors) for LAN we will have to install it afterwards.
      SATA_ATA_Fix: Legacy_AHCI_SATA_Fix
      Patches: About_This_Mac_Fix
      PS2 (if you have a ps2 keyboard/mouse)
      Additional: Additional Fonts
      QuickTime 7
      6. Click kon Done and Install. Click on Skip if it's checking the DVD.
      7. Wait for the install to complete, after that, reboot and boot from the harddisk you've installed Mac OS X on.
      8. Use the -v bootflag to see if there are any errors (If you did everything right then that shouldn't be the case)
      9. Once you're in the welcome screen and your ps2 keyboard/mouse doesn't work, then just replug the connector behind your computer and it works again.
      10. Then choose you're country and keyboard layout.
      11. Choose: Do not transfer my information now.
      12. Connect to the internet (wireless) or choose: My computer does not connect to the internet.
      13. by Registration Information don't fill anything and click on Continue, and click Continue again.
      14. Create your account and click on Continue. Choose a profile picture and click on Continue.
      15. Click on: Register later.
      16. Set up your timezone and click Done.
      The installation is now complete!
      Updating to 10.6.8
      The update process is simple. Follow these steps:
      1. Download the 10.6.8 Combo Update from the Apple site (click)
      2. Download the Legacy_Kernel-10.8.0.v2 (click) (this is not from the Nawcom blog becouse it's down at the moment)
      3. Install the Combo Update and DON'T RESTART!
      4. Now install the Legacy_Kernel. Don't force 64 bit.
      5. Now reboot and boot with -v -f.
      6. If everything goes well, you should end up with a working Mac OS X 10.6.8!
      You dont have to boot with -v or -f anymore, only if you have installed/removed a new kext.
      Installing the sound and LAN
      The Audio was a bit tricky to get, and it doesn't work without problems. Like when you don't move the mouse crackling can start to begin. But when you have skype open (maybe other programs to) I don't have any problem.
      LAN was easy to get working. Just follow these steps.
      1. Download RTL81xx OS X Driver (click)
      2. Install the driver.
      3. Reboot with -v. If there are no errors and you was able to boot back into OS X then LAN should be working!
      1. Go on google and find the VoodooHDA 0.2.1
      2. Open and install the package.
      3. Reboot with -v. Sound should be working now, frontpanel or backpanel.
      Congratulations! You now got yourself a working hackintosh!