restart problem on all hackintosh

Dejanbre

17 posts in this topic

Respect to community!

I have succesfully installed leopard,snow leopard,lion and mountain lion on my comp,but cannot get restart to work..

specs:asus P5N-d,nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 1024mb, 4 sata drives(with lion 750gb working I think it's hitachi,mountain lion160gb caviar blue working,snow leo160gb working caviar blue,one empty caviar blue 160gb),2 ide drives (1st with gentoo linux,second with mountain lion 250gb..all working)..

two dvd-rw drives light-scribe ide and light-scribe sata...(showing as burning unsupported in disk utility,supported generic drive in sys info...,cannot burn anything with it even with toast titanium)

currently(last couple of days have E/E folder)in E/E ad1198b.fix.kext,appleNforceAta.imk64bit,appleRTC,EvOreboot,FakeSMC,IOATAFamily.RootBoot,nforceLan.0.6.45 kext and NullCPUPowerManagment

in S/L/E appleHDADisabler,AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext,ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext,FakeSMC.kext,IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext,JMicron36xATA.kext,

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext,NullCPUPowerManagement.NVEnabler64.kext,NVEnabler.kext,SuperVIAATA.kext,VoodooHDA.kext...

Right now conected only 3 sata drives and dvd-rw sata...whatever I do cannot get restart to work...now I know for (mountain)lion there is no need for E/E folder,but I just got tired of searching for solutions for several months on my own,so I thought why not ask for help...restart not working even if I have only one (sata or ide)drive connected,wit or without E/E folder,EvReboot or OpenHaltRestart in E/E or S/L/E so I'm doing something wrong...two nights ago I restored 10.6.8 dmg to sata drive,everything works fantastic(from apple logo and first spin boots to OS in 8sec!?),but no luck with restart....all systems are perfecly stable for several months,no kernel panics,takes about 40 sec to boot to lion(mountain)system..I have read the verdant's how to for several times,but...I guess I'm missing the most important part which is...?

any help would be much appreceated...

thanks in advance

Try turning on the restart fix in org.chameleon.boot.plist, use chameleon wizard to do so:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=257464

If that doesn't work you'll be looking at a DSDT patch.

Also your /E/E and /S/L/E could do with a bit of a clean-up:

currently(last couple of days have E/E folder)in E/E ad1198b.fix.kext,appleNforceAta.imk64bit,appleRTC,EvOreboot,FakeSMC,IOATAFamily.RootBoot,nforceLan.0.6.45 kext and NullCPUPowerManagment

in S/L/E appleHDADisabler,AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext,ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext,FakeSMC.kext,IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext,JMicron36xATA.kext,

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext,NullCPUPowerManagement.NVEnabler64.kext,NVEnabler.kext,SuperVIAATA.kext,VoodooHDA.kext...

A bit of info:

In Lion (or ML) it isn't that /E/E isn't needed, the problem is that the kext cache is no longer held in extensions.mkext, It's stored by the system (which won't look in /E/E only /S/L/E) so if you wish to boot with usekernelcache=yes (which you do if you want fast boot times) then you need to place all kexts in /S/L/E and no longer use /E/E.

Also any kexts placed in /E/E are injected by chameleon then kexts in /S/L/E are loaded by OS X - having the same kext in both location is a complete waste of time with the Lion family.

You should always try to use as few kexts as possible so a assuming your on Mountain Lion (which if you can run it you should be since SL is coming up to end of support):

Take the following kexts (use kext utility to install them - don't just copy them to /S/L/E - http://cvad-mac.naro...u/Kext_Utility/):

FakeSMC

NullCPUPowerManagement

Add your graphics kexts only if you absolutely sure you need them (i.e. you have no graphic with ge=yes)

And add you lan kext

Use this instead of voodoohda for your sound (only use voodoo kexts as an absolute last resort):

http://www.osx86.net...883_10.6.8.html

Place them in /S/L/E and delete all others including the whole /E/E folder - just keep a backup.

Now you've added a lot of controller kexts (jmicron..., applenforce..., ioaahci..., ioata, super....) you shouldn't need all of these so to start with use none and see what happens.

Now booting only with what I said above and the restart fix applied see what happens.

If you get CMOS reset add AppleRTC OR ElliottForceLegacyRTC - you need either one or the other not both. If one doesn't work try the other.

Report back with what happens.

Also what CPU do you have?

As a reference the boot times for my systems on ML (see sig):

Desktop 1: 3 spins

Desktop 2: 8 spins

Laptop: 13 spins (but HDD's a bit naff)

hmm...I removed all sugested kext from S/L/E,completely removed E/E but still no go with restart....I'll try now to remove graphics enabler to see what happens...by the way my sound is not working now with mentioned apple hda 883...i repaird permissions after that with kext wizard but no sound ...thanks again guys for helping me out with this one...be back soon with results...

Oh yes,one more strange thing...chameleon wizard pref.pane is missing from sys.prefernces...really strange..

Ok,nothing happens..I already have had installed chameleon wizard,and did again with restartfix.and still nothing ..of course after removing nvenabler64 i got kernel panic so I needed to reinstall it...and for the sound in preference panel the device has no output controls....

For the time being you could go back to voodoohda (make sure you delete applehda) - we can have a look at that in a bit. I'm trying to tidy up your install (i'm assuming your list of kexts is from an iatkos install?) as well as fix your restart problem...

When you say restart isn't working - what exactly happends when you try to restart?

ok,I forgot to tell you-cpu is 3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,memory 8 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM...the first install of osx lion was from iatkos,but mountain lion I restored on a second hdd from dmg..

when I press restart,it restarts the monitor,but not the hard drives...

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I follow the guide and successfully installed ML. Everything is working but one minor nagging issue. My ML will not restart. Startup and shut down very fast. 

I used the DSDT (by Fabio) specifically for my MB Asus P6T deluxe V2, i7920 Bios V-0901.  Any suggestion how to fix restart if restart fix in org.chameleon.boot.plist through chameleon wizard does not work?

@eep357, you recommended Asus shut down fix to DSDT would solve restart problem? Would DSDT editor patch with shutdown Asus.txt work in my case? Sorry I post this earlier in the wrong thread.

Thanks to Rockinron_1 for superb guide in Vanilla ML install. Except restart, everything works like a real Mac. 

One thing I want to share with you. I could not find NullCPUManagement kext in S/L/E. Strange really. 

Hello phil511!

I have vers. 1 of your motherboard and have ever used Ermac editions for our motherboard. As I can remember, in the beginning of getting our platform up on SL in yearchange 2009/2010 there was a problem. with restart. Since this time the number of kexts, that one have to Install, decreased. Since 10 6.2 and 10.7 til up to 10.8.4 the installs with the by ErmaC done scripted package, wenn always fine. Since 10 8.4 I am using the Kexts from the Downloads her: AppleHda.kext (Corrected for mic AD2000b) AppleIntelcpupowermangement.kext, AppleRTC.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlattform.kext. IOnetworkfamilykext and Kext for Marvel Yukon 88E8056.

Look in the Bios of your Machine, if the Settings for Virtualisation are disabled. Is in org.chamelon.boot.plist nvda_drv=1, change to 0.

In the Moment I have no Idea. But If you have not done your Install with Pandora, get it in Download and try just a standard install. I think, that this should work without any Problems.

If you have your hd as GPT schema, you kann schrink partitons to creat one with about 30 GB. Its enough for a try. If this Intallation works without any problems, you need just to copy over the files you need from your first installation. Look for Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your new install over the old one and the bootloader of Pandora. Then reboot and proof if the clone does well. You should keep the smaller rescue boot, o be able to repair a not working system, to which you can not boot.

Hope, this helps a little.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am fascinated by Pandora Box installer.  As I said is not big deal for now. TonyMac method (not popular here) worked perfectly for my desktop. Now I have to check my laptop whether I have the same restart issue.

• 5 months later...