ShadowPhoenix

43 posts in this topic

Hello InsanelyMac community !

I hope you are fine in the end of Olympics Games :lol: I send this message to ask you some questions in order to make my first Hackintosh as serenely as possible.

I also make 5 hours of research about my configuration but it was too confused :blink:... One said that we need to flash the BIOS because he need more power, another said that we don't really need to flash the BIOS... I don't know how to do, moreover flash my BIOS make me so scared to make something bad so I really need your help !

I own a PC with configuration as :

- Motherboard : ASUS Maximus V Formula/Thunder FX

- Graphics card : ASUS GTX 680 TOP

- Processor : Intel 3770K 3.50 GHz

- Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3

- Hard Disk Drive : Seagate Barracuda 1 TO (6GB/s SATA III)

...Do you think, that configuration is capable to work with Mountain Lion ?

...All parts will be fully recognized ?

...What do I have to do first of all ? Install Snow Leopard, then Lion, then Mountain Lion ?

...Do I have to use iATKOS ? Or the original DVD of SL,Lion and ML ?

...What options do I have to check to get the best recognition ? (Especially in a program if you know what i mean B) )

...Basically I would like to dual-boot with Windows 7 and Mountain Lion. It's possible to do with the following configuration : SSD = Windows 7 ; HDD = Mountain Lion ? If it isn't possible I think I'll put it on an external hard drive.

That's a lot of questions in a row ! I admit it ! :D But I would be very grateful if these questions find their answers

In awaiting a response as soon as possible, thank you infinitely in advance.

Best Regards,

- Shadow Phoenix

You hardware is really nice. OK, on to OSx86: The hardware looks compatible with OS X Mountain Lion. Don't use iATKOS, use the official OS X Mountain Lion installer. Use myHack to create a bootable USB. You'll need to borrow a friend's Mac to do this. Ivy Bridge is only compatible with Mountain Lion, so you should install that. Dual booting looks fine, as Chameleon will handle that well. First install Windows on the SSD, then format the HDD as GUID and OS X Extended Journaled and install OS X on that.

Thanks you really much TheRacerMaster !

...But I don't have to flash my BIOS ? Everything will works fine if I leave that normally ? (ACHI Mode and Boot Priority is the only things that I can make on BIOS xD)

...Can I make a bootable USB of Mountain Lion via Windows 7 or VMware Workstation who emulated OSX (Snow Leopard) ? If it isn't possible, that does not matter. I'll manage it :)

You can't install ML or win 7 to an external drive.

If it works without flashing the BIOS then forget about that; try it first and see what happens.

Don't go anywhere near iAtkos. A Virtual machine is fine for making the installer (donload ML from the app store), use either myHack or my vanilla method if your feeling a little more adventurous:

http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1

Also don't use *beast stuff; you'll end up with a poor system compared to vanilla (mainly because people don't know how to use the *beast stuff and check way too many options).

Ok, I'll test right now !

Thanks you very much rockinron_1 !

But I have one little question :)

TheRacerMaster said that my hardware looks compatible on Osx86. However I couldn't find files for my components such as my motherboad or my graphics card. I'm on the wrong source ?

AFAIK your graphics card is natively supported and we'll worry about motherboard devices when we get there.

The best way to get OS X running is to do a vanilla install and get to the desktop then see what works & what doesn't and add one bit at a time to get everything working - you may find you don't need many extra kexts. If you follow the guide I linked rather than the myHack guide you'll find all this explained.

With a little patience & trial and error your system should make a perfect OS X setup. Don't worry if everything doesn't work to start with.

As might be expected, I had my first kernel panic!

I followed very well the method rockinron_1, the Vanilla Method (That's right I have an adventurer

soul :D ), but when I begin the boot, here is the screen of my PC:

photoda.jpg

What should I do ? Start over from the beginning ?

This is a generic error - not one specific to my way of doing it.

Have you managed to install OS X or does this error occurr when booting the installer?

Either way try to boot with -x (when the boot-loader comes up make sure the OS X partition is selected then type "-x" and press enter.

If that helps then do this:

Reboot

boot with -s

type the following (press enter after each line):

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/appletymcedriver.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/*appletymcedriver.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

exit

boot with -f

Get back to me and let me know if it works.

Edit: Which smbios did you use? Did you make sure you selected one which had an ivy bridge cpu not sandy bridge?

This error occurred when I want to boot the installer, the Apple logo shows up then the loading logo and five seconds later the kernel panic. I will try your method that you had described.

I will contact you later :)

I have use the MacPro LGA1366. Do I have to use iMac Ivy Bridge or MBP Ivy Bridge ? (Because Mac Pro looks similar to the design of my PC :D)

With -x, the boot appeared without any problems and I was able to select the setup language ! However, when I chose the language, the window disappears and a wonderful error log came to me :(

photo1ii.jpg

With The second way, I started the boot with -s but the screen is static and I can't enter command lines

Did you do step 2.D?

Given the system you describe above you shouldn't have needed to but the only error I can think of relating to that error log is that you did step 2.D. incorrectly (go back and repeat it).

Failing that I would suggest you try myHack unless someone else can chime in with a solution - I've not seen an error message like that before.

Good afternoon everyone !

So I decided to resumed my installation of Mountain Lion with your idea rockinron_1, and effectively it's working ! The installation goes smoothly.

When the reboot begin, I go to the install USB to make the part 3.B. However when I want to reboot again, a second kernel panic appears ! :

photogwk.jpg

Despite of this kernel panic, booting with -x works well (not well because i can't set up my ethernet, it make me restart from the beginning) and I can go to the ML desktop ! But without Internet,Sound :(

Is this kernel panic is commun ?

This is the same as in post #8. Do this when booting OS X:

boot with -s

type the following (press enter after each line):

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/appletymcedriver.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/*appletymcedriver.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

exit

boot with -f