Weird problem with dual graphics card mountain lion [SOLVED]

3square

11 posts in this topic

Hello all.

I recently upgraded from lion to ml. My setup is a Dell xps 420, with 8800gt 512mb, and a 8500gt 256mb card. Running on 4 monitors. In lion I used efi injection and the setup was great. After the upgrade, the 2 monitors on 8800gt is fine. But only one of the monitor on the 8500gt works.

Here is the weird problem. The other monitor on 8500gt shows a black screen. However it only display my cursor and nothing else, as I move the mouse across that monitor. Everything else is black. When I do a screen grab of that monitor, everything else and any windows does show up in it. It's as if that monitor does work. When I boot into the installer, all the monitor works as it should

solution:

i felt like such an idiot once i figure this out.

i set one of my monitor to rotate 90 degree. once i change it to regular orientation, everything works. the 90 degree rotation works fine in Lion, but not in ML.

if anyone has any clue on getting that to work it would be awesome.

thanks to those that replied

Edited by 3square

I have encountered the same problem with dual GTX 670's, both in Lion 10.7.5 (patched with Netkas MBP driver package) and with 10.8 Mountain Lion.

The monitors on the primary card are rotatable but the ones on the secondary card go black when rotated (cursor still moves across screen).

Using a custom DSDT, ######/###### install. Interestingly I need to use Chameleon 1.3 to boot rather than Chimera.

I feel like I might be missing something... This ring any bells with anyone else?

David

@RampageDev:

Yes, that seems right. It is unclear to me why the Nvidia driver would know how to rotate one card's outputs but not the other. That made me think it might be alterable via something in the DSDT (device description, caps, etc). But, since it does say Rotation: Supported" I suppose OSX is at least recognizing it as such.

FWIW, I had even worse luck trying to get the ATI FirePro v7900 working, even as a solo card, despite the presence of the device ID in the ATI6000Controller.kext.

I think this is one of the challenging areas with Hackintoshing: Multiple monitors for pro work. There are a few folks doing it but not the same drive in the community as to get fast cards working on 1-2 monitors.

Thanks for your quick reply!

David

• 3 weeks later...

AMD 6870 works with 3 monitors. I know because I have done it.... You just need to read a bit more and do a little research to understand what you are looking for.

I apologize for missing this response. Do you mean that, if the AMD 6870 series functions, so should the FirePro v7900, based on chipset commonalty (Cayman)? It may be that I was not editing the framebuffer personalities correctly. I did notice that the device ID is already present in the manifest.

Since the original post, I built a separate P9X79 (Xeon, ECC) machine to address the graphics problem and avoid giving up my existing Hackintosh. Right now I am focusing on getting a Win7 environment on this hardware and was thinking of using the GTX 670s instead of the FirePro v7900 simply for better ability to get a running Hackintosh in the future... But if indeed I should be able to get the FirePro v7900 running I might keep that instead. I don't need to render huge models, but I don't game much either... Mostly looking for fast multi-monitor performance for medical image viewing (most of the compute side is on the CPU I think, most of the GPU work is probably shuffling 2D image sets in and out of memory); basically I'm moving up from Nvidia 9800GTs so anything more recent is useful. Came across the v7900 because it was one of the OEM-approved choices on the Windows side.

Any thoughts appreciated. I am halfway asking to document for others in a similar situation; again, it's hard to find a lot of Hackintosh discussion aimed at supporting some of these more niche uses.

Cheers,

David

Read my guide and info for X79 motherboards:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/all-asus-mainstream-x79-motherboards-dsdt-beta-for-nvidia-and-amdati-gpus/

Email me a IOreg with just the V7900 installed. I would like to do some testing with you. thewho329@yahoo.com

That email is my blogs email.