6 posts in this topic

My hackintosh is currently running 10.6.8 on an HP 4530s, and I experience an issue where I can't fine tune the screen brightness after I first turn it on. In order to control screen brightness properly I need to sleep the display first, then wake it back on, and finally I can fine tune the brightness. I grew tired of needing to do that everytime I booted so I decided to find a work-around. Once I figured out a reliable method I went ahead and packaged it up for anyone who might also benefit from it!

In no way do I guarantee this will work for everyone, but give it a shot if you have the brightness bug. The patch makes no permanent changes and does not require elevated access to install. It's all local to the user and does not make any system changes. It has a provided uninstaller just in case things go awry!

The README in the .zip contains all information about the files that will be installed and what they do. The patch is a collective of two open source applications to control the screen and brightness via command line, and some bash scripting by me. It requires the Terminal to install for now... I don't know a thing about making a GUI Installer but if anyone can provide any tips, I would be greatful!

Download the zip, use Terminal to install by navigating to the file and typing "./install.sh", then log out or reboot to enable the patch.

- Adam

brightness_fix.zip

• Like 1

Open BIOS, turn brightness up to full using keyboard buttons, boot OS X, fixed.

This is a common issue.

This is not a solution for most of the Dell laptops however.

The actual brightness level can be obtained only after sleeping/waking the machine. I believe this is a framebuffer + ACPI bug of some sort. The brightness level won't store as well.

The latest version where everything worked fine was 10.6

Also, tempered, your installer script is wrong. $HOME shouldn't be the home folder, there's not LaunchAgents folder nor there is an Application folder in user's home folder.

So by default script fails to install. And even if I were to crete those folders the system has no idea how to load an agent from it.

The actual brightness level can be obtained only after sleeping/waking the machine. I believe this is a framebuffer + ACPI bug of some sort. The brightness level won't store as well.

The latest version where everything worked fine was 10.6

Also, tempered, your installer script is wrong. $HOME shouldn't be the home folder, there's not LaunchAgents folder nor there is an Application folder in user's home folder.

So by default script fails to install. And even if I were to crete those folders the system has no idea how to load an agent from it.

TimeWalker75a - Thanks for the info... again I'm new at this! Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm simply curious, but I had done some research on launchd, and the info I found had said that it's ok to use $HOME/Library/LaunchAgents, and sure enough I had that folder. I have a simple stock install of 10.6.8 and this is working perfectly on my machine. Are other installs different in this manner? I figured it would be the same on everyone's assuming you're running Snow Leopard?

JamesLitter - I'll have to try that! Except the solution I was looking for was one that I didn't need to press anything to set the brightness where I want it while giving me fine tuned adjustability. That's what this is providing me.

Again, I don't know if this will work for everyone... or even anyone else for that manner. It works great for me and I wanted to share it in case it works for someone else, too!

- Adam

• 7 months later...

The actual brightness level can be obtained only after sleeping/waking the machine. I believe this is a framebuffer + ACPI bug of some sort.

I've a Dell laptop too, and the same problem. Do you have a fix for that issue????

• 4 weeks later...