Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Bronya what about to make hex diff with original and compiled kernel , found differences between original and compiled and apply this to compiled with amd patches , for example this can reliazed via ida and using code caves insert needed changes

Hi ! I know . It is hardcode and all more time ! 

Reporting GREAT SUCCESS (as Borat would say) with Bronya's RC7_FIX kernel (version for older CPUs) on Asus М5А78L-M-USB3 / AMD Phenom II x4 925 / ATI Radeon HD5750, running Mavericks 10.9.4 perfectly with no glitches with colors / playback / clock / etc.

I use Clover to patch DSDT and kexts on the fly, had some issues but finally sorted them out. Also added a couple of third party kexts to get LAN, QE/CI and onboard audio running. Sleep, reboot, shutdown all work well due to the proper real-time patches with Clover.

Some curious observations:

1. Latest FakeSMC works fine, but installing HWSensors immediately results in a KP. Tried various FakeSMC / HWSensors bundles, it's all the same. Is there a way to get HWSensors running with Bronya's latest kernel? If the KP is caused by an incompatible sensor like IntelCPUSensor, how to prevent it from being installed? The system crashes right after running the HWSensors installer and keeps crashing until I restore FakeSMC.kext.

2. TSCSyncAMD.kext from Andy's AMD_PM_PACK_REL2 gets loaded and causes no trouble, but I'm not sure if it does what it's supposed to. So far no sudden lag or wildly behaving clock.

3. Andy's VoodooPState.kext and System.kext from AMD_PM_PACK_REL2 cause an endless loop of "invalid user opcode 64" during boot. Is it because bronya's kernel needs its own version of System.kext? Where could I get one?

Three cheers to Bronya, best AMD kernel so far! And huge thanks to Andy and Sinetek for their immense contributions!

Just in case, Andy's latest power management pack for AMD is available in this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/?p=1965971

If it's possible, I would much prefer a VoodooPState.kext that would work without PStateChanger.app, just assume a default governor of 'on demand' and utilize whichever P-States were generated by the bootloader. PStateChanger is great for testing but keeping it in the tray isn't a good idea for novice users who may accidentally switch it to Conservative.

P.S. Regarding VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext from Andy, do I need to patch it manually depending on how many cores my AMD CPU has? Vanilla VoodooTSCSync.kext for Intel CPUs comes in three flavors for 2, 4 and 8 kernels...

• Like 1

I update to 9.4 and try both RC6 and RC7 kernels, but same problem persist.

Machine boots fine but on login screen is all sluggish and slow and machine need 10 - 15 seconds to accept password and after that drop me again to login screen. I try with IOPCIFamily.kext but without results.

Have anyone any idea how to resolve that problem?

P.S. Same problem was with 9.3 update

Problem solved with chameleon parameter msibase=0x90.

Holding my breath for Bronzovka's bin patch solution to be published. This is huge, guys: if he actually develops a working binary patch for AMD, we could always try to implement via Clover, thus being able to use the vanilla kernel. This, if you remember, would give us access to the full plethora of Apple services, as Bronzovka already confirmed with his bin patched kernel. But if we could patch the kernel on the fly, via Clover, we would never have to worry with OS X updates ("point" updates) again.

• Like 7

This stinks for me because I am currently in the process of selling my amd machine for an Intel CPU because I have a board as of now. If this ever were to happen I'd be missing out :cry::(

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting GREAT SUCCESS (as Borat would say) with Bronya's RC7_FIX kernel (version for older CPUs) on Asus М5А78L-M-USB3 / AMD Phenom II x4 925 / ATI Radeon HD5750, running Mavericks 10.9.4 perfectly with no glitches with colors / playback / clock / etc.

I have "same" (http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/731/AMD_Athlon_II_X3_445_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_925_(rev._C2).html) CPU and have colors probem :(

Can you test QuickTime Screen recording?

"Fix" last Xcode:

- Open /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/ (run `open /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/` in terminal)

- Rename usr to usr_orig (backup)

- Download http://gordio.pp.ua/files/usr_mav_2013.zip and put in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/

// This 'usr' directory from file 'command_line_tools_os_x_mavericks_for_xcode__late_october_2013.dmg'

"Fix" last Xcode:

- Open /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/ (run `open /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/` in terminal)

- Rename usr to usr_orig (backup)

- Download http://gordio.pp.ua/files/usr_mav_2013.zip and put in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/

// This 'usr' directory from file 'command_line_tools_os_x_mavericks_for_xcode__late_october_2013.dmg'

that not works for me

it's work with my old processor AMD AthlonII X4

Last login: Sun Aug 17 10:34:03 on console
picos-Mac-Pro:~ pico$ uname -a
Darwin picos-Mac-Pro.local 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Sun Aug 17 02:48:21 MSK 2014; root:xnu-2422.110.17_by_bronya/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
picos-Mac-Pro:~ pico$

:thumbsup_anim:

note : I'm only replace kernel with this version but unfortunately get pink launchpad again, didn't try with all folder that came from bronya ..

• Like 1

Hi Bronya. the kernel seems to work fine but I have these graphical issues, this extends to other programs.

iMovie/Final Cut show only junk on the screen. (movie previews, also render out junk)

The system clock is also running about 10% faster.

anyway thanks for the hard work!

da0752ff1ea5d4160a8f36d645be1c6e.png

• Like 1

Hi !
Is source xnu-10.9.4 is released !
I did and compiled xnu 10.9.4 !
I Included file diff.
If cpu freq for EFI , flag -cpuEFI . 
In xnu - opemu from AnV and Sinetek for TEST .

I tried 10.9.5 , is working .

attachicon.gifmach_10_9_4_rc1.zip

attachicon.gifBRONYA_ANV_SINETEK_R10_10.9.4_diff.txt

Hi, Bronya

Is this kernel for old CPU like Athlon X2 4200+? Am I need to replace system files?

the new rc1 kernel boot on my AMD Hackintosh with Mavericks 10.9.5 Build 13F14  but the kernel does not boot properly. I need to test what does work or not work...

( Test with Mavericks 10.9.5 Build 13F14: CPU Phenom II X6 with rc1 Kernel and System.kext)

Last login: Sun Aug 17 03:24:16 on console
meins-imac:~ mein$ uname -a
Darwin meins-imac 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Sun Aug 17 02:48:21 MSK 2014; *patched-2422.110.17_by_bronya/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I will now test the kernel under 10.9.4 Build 13E19 and report.

• Like 1

I've got KP when I am using RC1_kernel on Mavericks 10.9.4

post-1100208-0-93190000-1408272400_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I can't replace the kext in your package right now, becuase I haven't got backup my whole system.

For now I will stay with your previous kernel build ;) Thanks Bronya! :yes:

• Like 1

I've got KP when I am using RC1_kernel on Mavericks 10.9.4

attachicon.gifIMG_1907.JPG

Unfortunately I can't replace the kext in your package right now, becuase I haven't got backup my whole system.

For now I will stay with your previous kernel build ;) Thanks Bronya! :yes:

my System loaded the same drivers but without AppleInelCPUPowerManagement.kext and do not cause kernel panic

Edit:

when I insert the contents of the Frameworks folder created by the kernel data by bronya , then the system stops at launchd........ tested with mavericks 10.9.4 Build 13E19

Edit 1:

when I insert only system.kext and rc1 kernel , then Mavericks 10.9.4 Build 13E19 boots very clean....Kernel rc1 by bronya work very good on my AMD Hackintosh, thx Bronya :yes::thumbsup_anim:

Last login: Sun Aug 17 04:12:56 on console

sosos-imac:~ soso$ uname -a

Darwin sosos-imac 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Sun Aug 17 02:48:21 MSK 2014; *patched-2422.110.17_by_bronya/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Edited by spakk
  • Like 2

so, now Mavericks 10.9.5 Build 13F14 works perfectly with rc1 kernel of Bronya.

In my first test I forget to replace the System.kext in S / L / E and now works all wonderfully. thx bronya :thumbsup_anim::D

Edit:

Last login: Sun Aug 17 04:45:05 on console
sosos-imac:~ mein$ uname -a
Darwin sosos-imac 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Sun Aug 17 02:48:21 MSK 2014; *patched-2422.110.17_by_bronya/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Hi, got the same as TheSheWolf after booting with just this new kernel (no kext or frameworks replacement) -> I got graphics artefacts where I was not getting any before.

I then replaced System kext + Frameworks -> system would not boot. I had to rollback and repair disk permissions to be able to boot Mavericks again. But my mistake was probably not to have repaired permissions after replacing the frameworks in the 1st place.

I'm now back with original settings (vanilla kexts + 10.9.2 RC7 kernel but will try again with 10.9.4 RC1 + System kext only + frameworks with disk permissions repair...

try only rc1 kernel with System.kext , if you use the frameworks then your system might not boot. before you re-start your system repair permissions and renew the cache !!

Edited by spakk
  • Like 1