Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

AMD Phenom II X4 945:

boots fine (old-cpu-kernel). no problems with icons/shadows and pointer as with rc5. instead of greenish/blueish screenshots now i get the errormessage : "unable to write ..."

no ssl-bug for me

ssse3 finally works? appears as if so:

arnes-mac-pro:~ arne$ sysctl -a | grep supplemental
hw.optional.supplementalsse3: 1

greetings! 

ps: if i disable Cool ' n' Quiet for CPU in Bios i would not need nullcpupowermanagement, correct?

• Like 1

With mach_10_9_2__fx_bronya_rc6 have this graphics (nVidia 9400 GT 512MB) problems with flash videos and Photoshop CS6 crash/close when launch the app. (Phenom X6 1055t - Gigabyte GA880 GM USB3)

Captura_de_pantalla_2014_05_27_a_la_s_16
Edited by Kio​

With mach_10_9_2__fx_bronya_rc6 have this graphics (nVidia 9400 GT 512MB) problems with flash videos and Photoshop CS6 crash/close when launch the app. (Phenom X6 1055t - Gigabyte GA880 GM USB3)

That flash bug is pretty inconsequential and its been there since a certain update by Flash a while ago. (you really should force html videos instead)

and for Photoshop. did you delete the MMX plugging? 

• Like 2

Any idea as to why GeForce 9800GT + NVEnabler64.kext that worked under 10.9.0 & 10.9.1 with Bronya's kernel 10.9 RC7 would no longer work in 10.9.2 & 10.9.3 with Bronya's 10.9.2 RC5/RC6 kernels (ending up in black screen of white/light gray screen with just mouse pointer)?

did you clear/recreate your kext cache?

I should mention, every time I update, I have to copy and replace my graphics kexts even if obviously they weren't replaced by the update. I dont know why but I have to do that then clear the kext cache and that usually fixes it for me. if I dont do that I get a grey corrupted screen but the OS does load.

maybe that will work for you too.

$ brew update
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/': SSL certificate problem: Invalid certificate chain
Error: Failure while executing: git pull -q origin refs/heads/master:refs/remotes/origin/master

EDIT: just tried to go to github with Chrome, SSL error... (maybe they forgot to renew their certificate? (I dont think so))

Hi ! I rechecked it is -  no ssl problems ! :)

@theconnactic , you write: "Failure to write image data" - it is where ? i interested  =) 

Hi ! I rechecked it is -  no ssl problems ! :)

@theconnactic , you write: "Failure to write image data" - it is where ? i interested  =) 

I definitely cannot go to github through chrome or terminal. I also got an SSL error going to Linkedin post-1147257-0-09105400-1401234182.png but chrome allowed me to click "proceed" it's definitely still an issue, why I dont know.

I might try deleting the certificates again, maybe they got corrupted due to last kernel but I dont think that will fix it.

I definitely cannot go to github through chrome or terminal. I also got an SSL error going to Linkedin attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.42.41 PM.png but chrome allowed me to click "proceed" it's definitely still an issue, why I dont know.

I might try deleting the certificates again, maybe they got corrupted due to last kernel but I dont think that will fix it.

it is really with  kernel rc6 ?

it is really with  kernel rc6 ?

It didn't happen with the other kernels I was using up to 10.9.2 I think it was an old cabba kernel.

rc5 total ssl error. rc6 lots of applications that didnt work because of ssl error now work but for some reason some websites and applications still report ssl error.

I dont have time right now to try to sort it out but I'll let you know if I figure out something.

That flash bug is pretty inconsequential and its been there since a certain update by Flash a while ago. (you really should force html videos instead)

and for Photoshop. did you delete the MMX plugging?

Deleting MMXCore will corrupt the installation search for it in this topic, Bronya has posted a patched one while ago...

ps: if i disable Cool ' n' Quiet for CPU in Bios i would not need nullcpupowermanagement, correct?

Maybe, it varies on the kernel you're using. The majority of them made nullcpupowermanagement obsolete cause they have blacklist built-in. But, for me, sleep sometimes work if CnQ disable but it also relies on wich kernel I'm using.

• Like 1

Any idea as to why GeForce 9800GT + NVEnabler64.kext that worked under 10.9.0 & 10.9.1 with Bronya's kernel 10.9 RC7 would no longer work in 10.9.2 & 10.9.3 with Bronya's 10.9.2 RC5/RC6 kernels (ending up in black screen of white/light gray screen with just mouse pointer)?

I'd say it's not related to the kernel, but to two possible causes. First, I also have a 9800GT (EVGA, 1024 MB, VGA-DVI-HDMI) and can tell you that it's only partially supported, even with Core i hardware: forget HDMI (tried every kext, boot loader and a handful of ROMs to no avail) and with luck, DVI will work. VGA works but with moderate artifacts since Mavericks, (I'm not sure the fact it's running alongside the Intel HD isn't what is behind the artifacts).

That said, I don't have to use any injection other than GraphicsEnabler=Yes for it to work, and using it as a secondary card requires absolutely no injection at all. In the end, it's NVidia and, as long as it works with OSX, it's supposed to be easy feat, with takes us to the second possible cause: the the kext itself. NVEnabler is really old code, and perhaps 10.9.2 broke it, so you should either ask Krabuzu (its main developer) for help, or consider either DSDT or boot loader injection from now on.

Only after trying all other possible fixes (use VGA instead of HDMI or vice-versa, inject via boot loader or DSDT or even EFI-strings, ask the developers for an updated NVEnabler etc), if the issue persists, you should consider the kernel as a possible cause.

All the best.

• Like 1

Every time I use Cmd+Shift+4 and then the space bar to take a screenshot. I cannot take a screenshot of the error dialog box to post here, for obvious reasons. :)

All the best!

• Like 1

Every time I use Cmd+Shift+4 and then the space bar to take a screenshot. I cannot take a screenshot of the error dialog box to post here, for obvious reasons. :)

All the best!

and the console also reports these errors:

Screen_Shot_2014_05_28_at_12_36_26_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2014_05_28_at_2_33_50_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2014_05_28_at_12_43_43_PM.pn

• Like 1

yep! she's right  :thumbsup_anim:

i run some flash testings (comparing latest & older version of flash player  ->  v13 vs v12 ) 

by opening: http://www.speedtest.net/

And here're the results:

• with the latest version of FP (v13.0.0.214)

Screen_Shot_2014_05_28_at_1_59_31_PM.png

• with the older one (v12.0.0.3)

Screen_Shot_2014_05_28_at_1_45_59_PM.png

• Like 3

made clean install 10.9.2 with latest kernel rc6 from bronya. seems that everything work prety well except buggy sound (patched applehda). hope that will repair with next version of kernel

• Like 1

RC6_kernel works excellent on my specification. Congratulations!! :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Restart - works

Shutdown - works

Screenshots - works

All music apps (Logic, Pro Tools, FL Studio) - works

AppStore - works

Dual Monitors - works

Bravissimo!! B) B) B)  and thank you :)

post-1100208-0-37293000-1401273052_thumb.png

• Like 5

Deleting MMXCore will corrupt the installation search for it in this topic, Bronya has posted a patched one while ago...

Maybe, it varies on the kernel you're using. The majority of them made nullcpupowermanagement obsolete cause they have blacklist built-in. But, for me, sleep sometimes work if CnQ disable but it also relies on wich kernel I'm using.

I see. I searched what makes it crash and I just dont use those tools. I use it for painting and most but one of the image>adjustment tools work.

I'd say photoshop is 98% functional without it but I might be wrong.

I'll try that patched mmxcore plugin just in case. thanks! (update: the plugin made no difference at all, doesn't affect me anyway.)

I see. I searched what makes it crash and I just dont use those tools. I use it for painting and most but one of the image>adjustment tools work.

I'd say photoshop is 98% functional without it but I might be wrong.

I'll try that patched mmxcore plugin just in case. thanks! (update: the plugin made no difference at all, doesn't affect me anyway.)

That's because you already corrupted the installation...

That's because you already corrupted the installation...

I really doubt that's how things work. in any case there's no consequence for me all my tools work.

Mmm, GT610 works OOB on my C2D E8600-based platform and without any DSDT injection; it's not the case on my legacy Paxville-based platform. I just cannot get graphics to initialise OOB properly, whether I use with RC5 or RC6. I just don't understand this at all...

I've used a very basic DSDT injection and I then got to desktop with apparent full QE/CI but system is very sluggish. There must be a link to the kernel.

Just tested a GT610 (and also a G210) with both my Intel and my AMD rigs, and all went fine (but I had to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes with both cards in both systems) so I suppose yes, maybe either the kernel is in fact misbehaving with your legacy Intel CPU, or your chipset is poorly supported by OSX (is it Intel? NForce?) or even both.

Sluggishness means what in your particular system? Slow animations, Launchpad freezing, Safari freezing when opening the favorites default blank page, they usually mean you have no QE/CI, but the description you gave was somewhat vague: could you elaborate? Your menu bar, is it translucent? If it's not, you have no QE/CI, regardless of the resolution and general appearance of the Desktop. If it's confirmed you have not QE/CI, please try GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Oh, and out of curiosity, does Paxville has sse3 (two "s", not the same as ssse3)?