Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

If Apple was to create a joint with the InsanelyMac AMD Kernel Developers that'd be great for us. Even tho I don't know the situation on that, it sure would be great for it to happen hahah. If anyone has any more information on that please post it on here for us AMD Users to know :D if that actually was to happen potentially :unsure:

Best Regards,

Your Friendly NeighborHood Spiderman

P.S. The first Apple step was to include graphics cards based on AMD Chipsets and it's done now. AMD Radeons are in the Apple devices. Now we're waiting for the AMD Cpu's on these devices :)

Your whole post is pretty funny but in the graphics part Apple has been using ATI for a long time and the internal change to AMD name means nothing.

The main reason apple would never switch to amd now is because they simply can't compete with intel. AMD is behind in performance, power management and development in general..

Also I hope you can come to realize that the amd kernel is cobbled together at this point and can only get worse if less sources are made available.. Keep in mind that only just recently with 10.9 amd guys finally got working graphics since 2  builds of osx. 

• Like 1

Hello.

It's my first post here (just passed the quizz some seconds ago). Well, I will present me asap, but I'm a little bit short in time just now...

I'm a dev (desktop standalone oriented) who need every OSX in virtual machines for my tests (as a lot of you I guess). I've already 10.5 to 10.8 under VMware and/or Virtualbox, but now it's time to add 10.9 urgently. My host machine is an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 with an AMD FX-8350. 

Having no time to start from scratch (I'm in full tests in my current project), I've just downloaded a well known premade vmware image with OS X 10.9 Retail, then replaced the kernel with the 10.9.0 mach_kernel rc7 by Bronzovka...

Close to all sounds right (it boots out of the box and run nicely ; thanks for this good job) unless the fact the clock seems to go crazy : one minute is covered in five seconds and the caret when in text field blinks very quickly. Also (of course), when I type, the characters are repeated so quickly that I have to push the keys as subtly I can to be able to succeed to obtain something with sense.

So, is it a known issue ?

Is there something to do ?

Until a next kernel release, I could try to live like this (even if difficult), but it would be far more cumfortable to be able to type normally, of course. Also, my project manages threads and timers... So, I imagine the panic  ;)

I am building new PC (( HACKINTISH ))

I now really do not know what to take i5 4670k or fx-8350...

If i would take intel my next build would be:

cpu: intel i5 4670k

gpu: Gainward GTX770 Phantom II (( 4 gb. ))

mbo: Asus VANGUARD B85

ram: 16 or 32 gb./ddr3

case: Silverstone FT03B (( with plexiglass window ))

Diazz, this thread is about kernel testing on AMD only. However, on my side, of course, I far prefer AMD (Intel is just oversold w/o real reason).

If you understand the architecture of the cpus of them both, you will find that AMD is far behind Intel in about every facet. If you buy an AMD CPU just for GHZ, then that is your prerogative. However there are many more things to consider when buying a certain cpu.

Launched AMD Installer 1.1 (so, renewed the kernel and FakeSMC), then repaired the kexts permissions going with Kext Wizard and the issue about crazy clock is gone. So, 10.9 is up and running :)

IlhanRaja : I'm not interested in these steril fights between fanatics about AMD vs. Intel, Windows vs. OS X, Dog vs. Cat, etc. On my side, I'm an independent developer (since close to 30 years), not a gamer and my main concern is to build machines with the best ratio speed cost (and, even more with the highest number of cores, since I have close to all the time one or two virtual machines opened and always something to compile somewhere). Well, the exercice to compare two CPU is far to be easy and neither you nor me are able to do it (unless if you spend some months to study them in depth and in real life ; not relaying some papers read here or here on the Net, I mean - we can always find the article which confirm what we want to hear). Historically, Intel was the first to fight about hertz, while AMD improved their instructions set (and was less cadenced). But all changes and they are now in different directions... nothing is never acquired and it's a perpetual challenge. So, on this point I agree with you : nothing can be simplified ! On my side, if Intel and AMD were at the same price for the same number of cores and the same speed of compiling (in equivalent hardware and software context, of course, since the CPU is just one element), I would think again, but it's not the case just now.

Hey. I got Problems getting the sintek kernel to run (r9)

I even did a fresh 10.9.0 install.

I am stuck at:

imagepuq9x.jpg

I am using phenom II x4 945 CPU with asus m4a88t-m main board and 460gtx se gpu.

With other kernels I cannot handle pngs ( cannot take screenshots for example. Either write error or they turn out pink). Got imageio error invalid parameter.

Any ideas?

Hey. I got Problems getting the sintek kernel to run (r9)

I even did a fresh 10.9.0 install.

I am stuck at:

imagepuq9x.jpg

I am using phenom II x4 945 CPU with asus m4a88t-m main board and 460gtx se gpu.

With other kernels I cannot handle pngs ( cannot take screenshots for example. Either write error or they turn out pink). Got imageio error invalid parameter.

Any ideas?

Try to edit your graphics in AGPM.kext with your ID's, repair permissions and then try to boot again.

If this not help you can try to paste the graphics kexts from Mavericks DP8 - it works with my GT430 and GT640 (on older CPU, but there is no difference I think)

Good Luck :)

Try to edit your graphics in AGPM.kext with your ID's, repair permissions and then try to boot again.

If this not help you can try to paste the graphics kexts from Mavericks DP8 - it works with my GT430 and GT640 (on older CPU, but there is no difference I think)

Good Luck :)

I am Using legacyagpm which works Fine with other kernels. Clock rates and voltages be switched

I am Using legacyagpm which works Fine with other kernels. Clock rates and voltages be switched

So maybe this LegacyAGPM causes problem with Sinetek's Kernel? Just test it without legacyagpm, with original AGMP with edited id's and with dp8 kexts and you will have your answer.

The easiest fix is the best fix, so you can test it, and when you test it, you can share with us.

If you do this steps and nothing will help, then think about make an topic with the right section.

By the way, I don't think that is the kernel problem, just kexts. :)

Edited by tragediana150

Any way to fix graphic issues with YouTube in Mavericks?

use Google Chrome

So maybe this LegacyAGPM causes problem with Sinetek's Kernel? Just test it without legacyagpm, with original AGMP with edited id's and with dp8 kexts and you will have your answer.

The easiest fix is the best fix, so you can test it, and when you test it, you can share with us.

If you do this steps and nothing will help, then think about make an topic with the right section.

By the way, I don't think that is the kernel problem, just kexts. :)

Create a DSDT.aml with your graphics card, create a rom-file of your video card and make adjustments in your org.chameleon.boot.plist, then your graphics card should work better. In addition, you are then free from driver patch. because the patch on is annoying,

• Like 1

:)

@joe75 , 

Salut , 

les CPU FX AMD sont loin d'être ridicule face à  Intel , ils sont beaucoup plus abordable pour des performances similaires , pour le prix d'un FX 6300 , tu vas avoir un piteux i3 4xxx tandis que le FX a un potentiel plus vaste , très puissant en virtualisation comparable à des Xeon série E3 qui sont vtx et vtd , AMD n'est qu'AMD-v et il fait le boulot sans pareil :) 

juge par toi même . 

Hi, 

AMD FX CPUs are far from being ridiculous face to Intel, they are much more affordable for similar performance for the price of a 6300 FX, you'll have a pitiful i3 4xxx while FX has a larger potential very powerful comparable to Xeon E3 series are vtx and vtd virtualization, AMD is AMD-v and it does the job unparalleled :) 

Judge by yourself.

le xeon E3-1245 v2 ivybridge c'est 250 € et le FX 8350 , c'est 170 € 

• Like 3

Hi guys, i have take 4670K, so this is probably my last post in this thread, i wish you all good luck whit development off AMD kernel, maybe one day i'll be back ;)...

Z11 is now retired:

xjr9.png

Next build: 

Intel i5 - 4670K

Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom II 4GB

Asus Vanguard B85 ( TUF )

16gb. HyperX

Corsair GS800 2013 Ed.

Silverstone FT03B

LG DM2752 ( 3D )

• Like 1

Attention K versions are not vt-d, k versions can not virtualize smoothly and as easily overclok, k versions are for noobs who do not understand anything. :hysterical:

:hysterical:  :hysterical:  Samsung /GF we prepare a 14 nm AMD next year maybe .................

:dev: 

• Like 1

Attention K versions are not vt-d, k versions can not virtualize smoothly and as easily overclok, k versions are for noobs who do not understand anything. :hysterical:

:hysterical:  :hysterical:  Samsung /GF we prepare a 14 nm AMD next year maybe .................

:dev:

Another AMD fan boy who has no idea... 

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing Gils, although I have flown over the topic in recent weeks, now I have after you made the note above read me the news. it looks very good for the future of AMD...http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34560-first-globalfoundries-14nm-commercial-chips-in-2015

• Like 2

Hello everyone, please take all part of this project by Rampag dev,  so that we can summarize a wide bandwidth "SSDT" various hardware in a dmg. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297774-amd-dmg-development/

many thanks

• Like 5

I want to share a little information for AMD gamers on OSX.

Valve games (source engine based games like Dota 2, CS:GO L4D2 and Tf2) isn't run well on OSX86 with AMD CPU, but I found a solution for this:

Add the next line to Startup parameter in every Valve games Properties:

-processheap -novid -threads 8 -heapsize 4194304

Change the threads number for your CPU cores number and you may experience huge FPS boost and less lag spikes.

Tested with CSGO and TF2 with BSA v9 kernel and FX-8120.

• Like 6