InsanelyMac Forum
theconnactic

Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Is it not possible to modify the files needed? If a person gets ML installed but experiences graphics problems, they could install a package for the files.

It is possible ofcourse but I'll have to look into it when I have a lot of time

Advertisement

It is possible ofcourse but I'll have to look into it when I have a lot of time

Of course. By all means take all the time you need. If I could learn all the code easily enough I would be helping lol

But how could one get around this? There is always a litte delay when he needs to calculate, or do you think that, if you decrease the delay time, it might work?

Or is it possible to find the ssse calls in the kext's and (don't know if this is possible, i'm ot a developer ;)) reroute them to sse?

Oh, I tried that already. I patched all the critical system binaries by hand to reroute the SSSE3 and removed the opemu. The system crashes in precisely the same manner.

Well, what I'm left with is the idea to try Mountain Lion DP1 and it's 32-bit kexts. I was going to try it, but the image I downloaded is corrupted :/

ok,

tried to search the web for ati kext's from dp1 and found nothing. but i try to get hands on dp1 :D

edit: maybe someone in the forums has got a dp1 and could upload a few kexts? would go faster ;)

Oh, I tried that already. I patched all the critical system binaries by hand to reroute the SSSE3 and removed the opemu. The system crashes in precisely the same manner.

Well, what I'm left with is the idea to try Mountain Lion DP1 and it's 32-bit kexts. I was going to try it, but the image I downloaded is corrupted :/

I've got a working DP1 dmg. I can upload kexts if needed.

excellent :D

so what do we need? i don't know. could you make zip files? one with all the ati stuff, one with all the nvidia stuff. and what else do we need..... sinetek?!

edit: but can one run those kexts if they are 32bit or are they 32/64?

No luck with my GT 430. Stops soon after loading NVDAGF100Hal and the NTFS drivers.

Using GraphicsEnabler=No it boots but no native resolution or QE/CI. Also it only detects a 3MB GPU instead of the 1GB GT 430

Ok, here is my result:

copied over all the ati files to /s/l/e, fixed permission and restart.

1. boot:

normal boot, boots straight to desktop, no qe/ci.

2. boot:

tried with GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiCofig="Hoolock"

got a black screen. can login, but no picture.

3. boot:

GE=Yes

black screen, login works. then i pluged in my vga monitor and disconnected the dvi one. got my screen with wrong resolution and no qe/ci.

also i noticed that my good old device in slot 1 message is back :D

at least there's no kp. let's see if i can do more :D

Shane, the Fermi cards aren't supported anyway, so that's not much to go off of. The 6xx cards will need graphicsenabler=no.

So i tried a bit and could't get my 5670 to work. that does not mean it generally doesn't work. maybe someoe with another radeon should try that (like SS01 mentioned).

i'm too sick, going to sleep now :D

almost certain the kexts he uploaded are very equal to 10.7.5 prob. are cause the new AMDRadeonAccelerator is missing

since they behave very similar to my test with the lion kexts ...

Just compile GM xnu for i386

Easier said than done.

I am an official Apple dev and even I don´t have access to the GM xnu sources... go figure... :(

Hi, Andy and all!

Well, for the moment, i think we all either buy ATI cards (the ones that are reportedly working, because there are some that don't) or stay with Snow Leopard until a fix for nVidia is available (my case - i'll keep my Mountain Lion partition, since it's a reminder of the awesome work done here, but it's unusable for my purposes, since my AMD machine is also my HTPC).

Best regards!

Hey all, some info:

This thread's kinda getting out of hand. ;) So I'm going to split off general OS discussion from kernel discussion, by OS. If I accidentally put a post about one operating system in another OS's thread, just shoot me a PM.

Glad to see progress made. :) Finally salvaged a new old machine (hehe), so I'll test how everything works on a Pentium D.

Ok, so it seems 10.8.2 seems to not work with any kernel on FX CPUs... Instant reboot after loading kernels.... I remember back about 1 month i had to manually set the cpu ratio flag by: "busratio=15" But it does nothing now, not on AnV nor on Sinetek... Could some of you skilled devs look into it? Thanks.

Install failed. " The installer could not start up the computer from the disk " damn. My settings are AHCI.

Phenom 960T

HD 7750 (Graphicsenabler=No)

GA 880gm-usb 3 rev 3.1.

8 GB DDR3

It went ahead with the installation but at the last it gave me the error above.

•  

Ok, so it seems 10.8.2 seems to not work with any kernel on FX CPUs... Instant reboot after loading kernels.... I remember back about 1 month i had to manually set the cpu ratio flag by: "busratio=15" But it does nothing now, not on AnV nor on Sinetek... Could some of you skilled devs look into it? Thanks.

fsb=<busspeed in mhz> busratio=<muliplier>

Should work