theconnactic

Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

6,477 posts in this topic

nvidia, maybe others channel exceptions ...

10.9.4 Confirmed working here on a fx-8350.

The combo pack from apple from apple was used to update. I didn't use the app store, but I don't believe it makes any difference. 

I booted to single user and safe mode and replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, System.kext, AppleMatch.kext, and Sandbox.kext with the ones from my previous working 10.9.3 install. 

I am using bronya's kernel (thank you bronya :) ) mach_10.9.2_rc7_fixed.zip. I am using the fx kernel. 

The -f boot flag was needed because it was booting using the apple mach kernel.

I also have an asus bt 4.0 dongle. I had previously changed the product id and vendor id in the broadcom plugin of the IOBluetoothFamily.kext. Apple must have updated this for 10.9.4 because I had to add the ids back to the plugin kext.

Things seem faster, but I did switch from a nov 2013 bronya kernel to the one mentioned above.

Hi all,

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this and would appreciate appropriate advice.

Using AMD kernels for a long time AMD kernel developers deserve my deep respect and I want to pay something back.

I have lost QE/CI since 10.9.2 and found replacing IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to be the cure. I was digging deeper and realized following facts:

- it is not kernel related

- nvidia has changed default interrupt mode to msi in the past
- apple has changed msi interrupt base from 0x90 to 0x70 in IOPCIFamily-224 (used in 10.9.2) in 10.9.1 it was 0x90

- my rig reports

03.07.14 21:05:18,000 kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 88:119
03.07.14 21:05:18,000 kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 64:87

So IOAPIC vectors cover a range from 0x40 to 0x78 overlapping the new msi basevalue.

- modifying IOPCIFamily-224 (after release of code) to the old value revealed that QE/CI came back in a almost vanilla OSX 10.9.2

Attached is a patch and a binary version of IOPCIFamily.kext. I introduced a boot argument 'msibase=0xAB' to it. This kext let me do all updates from 10.9.1 to 10.9.4 with retaining QE/CI just replacing it and nothing else. It expects a parameter as in 'msibase=0x90' (the value I use) specifying the value the base vector should take. A value of 0x00 effectively disables the use of message based interrupts.

If someone would confirm my facts, I would be glad. Otherwise try to just forget this post or delete it by an administrator.

Please excuse me, if this post is misplaced and is of no interest to anyone.

best regards

IOPCIFamily.zip

Advertisement

Hi axamanA,

many thanks for your work on this drivers, as soon as I see an opportunity to work on my hackintosh, I will test their work and report my results.

Every good work is welcome here..many thx.

Beauty.... You guys are amazing :wub: , I was wondering about that. It didn't seem like it was kernel related at all :)

Hi !

I found one really odd !!! 

1) If original mach_kernel from apple_dvd_10.8.5 - works icloud , imessage on  CPU INTEL iMac  !

2) if download original xnu-2050.48.1.tar and extract , then immediately compile , and copy mach_kernel from xnu-2050.48.1.tar in system . Then reboot and start system 10.8.5 with new mach_kernel , and i tried Icloud and imessage - don't working !!!!!!

3 ) i back original to mach_kernel and try run icloud - works !!!

WHY don't works iMessage and iCloud , if  use mach_kernel from compilation xnu-2050.48.1.tar ???? 

Who know ? ))))

it is a known problem. Facetime, icloud, imessages, etc. won't work with the open source kernel. The only way these could work on AMD machines would be if the diffs were binary patches for the original apple kernel.

it is a known problem. Facetime, icloud, imessages, etc. won't work with the open source kernel. The only way these could work on AMD machines would be if the diffs were binary patches for the original apple kernel.

you're telling a developer of the kernel...

anyway updated without rolling back anything, as others said.

But Bronya, my clock is running a bit fast with your rc7 kernel fix, but not much, it amounts to about 8 minutes ahead per 24 hours. so no biggie but it didnt happen with your rc6/7 kernel. I cant rollback to them because if I boot with any of those I get blue launchpad icons.

Many thanks axmanA! I can too confirm that it fixed the QE/CI issue I was experiencing on my Precsion 670 with nVidia GeForce 9800GT. I was experiencing very serious lagging despite apparent full QE/CI but after applying your patched IOPCIFamily.kext (I found I had to replace the vanilla kext in /S/L/E), the lagging disappeared! I did not replace the AppleACPIPlatform kext. Is boot option msibase=0x90 valid and necessary?

A big Thank you for your thorough analysis and fix.  :thumbsup_anim:

My old girl is now running 10.9.4 very smoothly. I've also reverted to IOPCIFamily + AppleACPIPlatform kexts from 10.9.1 and obtained exact same results. So, graphics issues were all down to these particular driver changes on my old system. 'really chuffed it's finally sorted and updated to 10.9.4.

Hi !
I found one really odd !!! 
1) If original mach_kernel from apple_dvd_10.8.5 - works icloud , imessage on  CPU INTEL iMac  !
2) if download original xnu-2050.48.1.tar and extract , then immediately compile , and copy mach_kernel from xnu-2050.48.1.tar in system . Then reboot and start system 10.8.5 with new mach_kernel , and i tried Icloud and imessage - don't working !!!!!!
3 ) i back original to mach_kernel and try run icloud - works !!!

WHY don't works iMessage and iCloud , if  use mach_kernel from compilation xnu-2050.48.1.tar ???? 
Who know ? ))))

Bronya, try to make hex diff , may be we found way to bypass icloud verification

Bronzovka, this is old subject.

I think it was Master Chief - but correct me if I'm wrong - who discovered it: no compiled kernel supports any of Apple's cloud services. The reason is Apple doesn't feel obligated to make the related sources available under the open source license it follows. So what we've got is kind of a barebones kernel: it will boot the OS, but nothing beyond that. That's also why binary-patched kernels or the vanilla kernel when patched-on-the-fly (that is, by the boot loader) fully work with these Cloud services. The only way we have support for all of them is somehow implement the AMD-specific changes via binary patch. I know, it's no easy feat, that's why nobody even tried.

All the best!

where I can download mach_10.9_3_rc7_fixed.zip. Link is dead. Thanks in advance.

Look under downloads or register to root86.com

Here is the download link: http://www.root86.com/files/file/469-mach-10-9-2-bronya-rc7-fixed/

After 10.9.4 I have this KP after every second/third boot.

Any idea how can I avoid it?

bronya rc7 fixed kernel

B7KETGP.jpg

delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

After 10.9.4 I have this KP after every second/third boot.

Any idea how can I avoid it?

bronya rc7 fixed kernel

Hi ! MacPro5.1 don't support AppleTyMCEDriver.kext , you need change to other model ;)

The best thing to do is to actually remove that kext. It often causes issues on Hackintoshes machines and it's not mandatory.

nvidia, maybe others channel exceptions ...

Hi all,

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this and would appreciate appropriate advice.

Using AMD kernels for a long time AMD kernel developers deserve my deep respect and I want to pay something back.

I have lost QE/CI since 10.9.2 and found replacing IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to be the cure. I was digging deeper and realized following facts:

- it is not kernel related

- nvidia has changed default interrupt mode to msi in the past

- apple has changed msi interrupt base from 0x90 to 0x70 in IOPCIFamily-224 (used in 10.9.2) in 10.9.1 it was 0x90

- my rig reports

03.07.14 21:05:18,000 kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 88:119
03.07.14 21:05:18,000 kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 64:87

So IOAPIC vectors cover a range from 0x40 to 0x78 overlapping the new msi basevalue.

- modifying IOPCIFamily-224 (after release of code) to the old value revealed that QE/CI came back in a almost vanilla OSX 10.9.2

Attached is a patch and a binary version of IOPCIFamily.kext. I introduced a boot argument 'msibase=0xAB' to it. This kext let me do all updates from 10.9.1 to 10.9.4 with retaining QE/CI just replacing it and nothing else. It expects a parameter as in 'msibase=0x90' (the value I use) specifying the value the base vector should take. A value of 0x00 effectively disables the use of message based interrupts.

If someone would confirm my facts, I would be glad. Otherwise try to just forget this post or delete it by an administrator.

Please excuse me, if this post is misplaced and is of no interest to anyone.

best regards

thanks  now my AMD PC works fine :D

can this edit done through binary patch for future releases  ?

I update to 9.4 and try both RC6 and RC7 kernels, but same problem persist.

Machine boots fine but on login screen is all sluggish and slow and machine need 10 - 15 seconds to accept password and after that drop me again to login screen. I try with IOPCIFamily.kext but without results.

Have anyone any idea how to resolve that problem?

P.S. Same problem was with 9.3 update

I update to 9.4 and try both RC6 and RC7 kernels, but same problem persist.

Machine boots fine but on login screen is all sluggish and slow and machine need 10 - 15 seconds to accept password and after that drop me again to login screen. I try with IOPCIFamily.kext but without results.

Have anyone any idea how to resolve that problem?

P.S. Same problem was with 9.3 update

Try to paste VoodooTSCSync for AMD, maybe that will help

Hi Mohamed,

this exceeds my capabilities :-(

hi axmanA :)

don't know if this idea will help

we can compile vanilla code  of iopcifamily 

once with

kBaseMessagedInterruptVectors = 0x70,

and anther compile with

kBaseMessagedInterruptVectors = 0x90,

and after compiling  of this two kexts

take ipcifamily binary file 

and open them with hex edit and copy hex code of this binary to two separate text file

then compare them using file merge on Xcode 

this will show us diff when using 70 or 90 

then we use this diff trough fly patch on clover :)

hope this will work

can't test this as vanilla ipcifamily code doesn't compile  directly :/

Hello everyone, i just joined hackintoshing and would like to know if any of these mavericks kernels would work on AMD E2-2000 APU processor and suppor QE/CI on Radeon HD 7340 GPU. Thanks in advance!

Confirming that the 10.9.4 with AppStore update works great. There is no problems at all with update and the system is much faster than 10.9.3.

Bronya RC7_kernel here ;)

Hello everyone, i just joined hackintoshing and would like to know if any of these mavericks kernels would work on AMD E2-2000 APU processor and suppor QE/CI on Radeon HD 7340 GPU. Thanks in advance!

The best option is to try dude :) GPU's QE/CI is nothing to do with the kernels. Search on google and install your Mavericks and you will know :) Good Luck :)

Give it a try, you'll soon find out. Kernels will have little if not nothing to do with QE/CI support with Radeon HD 7340 graphics card.