How do I get GT 540M with mountain lion?

X-TRiAL

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I have Nvidia Optimus with Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT 540M.

I have installed mountain lion fine, but only when I disable the switchable graphics therefore only having the Integrated card enabled.

When I try to boot with the Nvidia card enabled in the BIOS my laptop just stops on boot with this

"nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time:1343775763".

In Lion I wasn't able to get it enabled but I could at least boot with it enabled in the BIOS. Some people have said I need to make sure the Nvidia kexts have the right device ID but I don't know anything about that (and can't find anything related - only this

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=281053 ).

Thanks.

It depends on how your bios handles the framebuffer transfer, usually when you switch to discrete to cutoff the display (this happens on most systems). I think that the system loads but there's no desktop to load due to the kext not loading, maybe the kexts don't detect the card, or the kexts are loaded just that there's no direct link to be used to the display... better search linux forums for your laptop model and optimus to see if anyone found some bios workaround.

It depends on how your bios handles the framebuffer transfer, usually when you switch to discrete to cutoff the display (this happens on most systems). I think that the system loads but there's no desktop to load due to the kext not loading, maybe the kexts don't detect the card, or the kexts are loaded just that there's no direct link to be used to the display... better search linux forums for your laptop model and optimus to see if anyone found some bios workaround.

Think people have it working, well they seem to, even if its not working 100%.

However even though they are both UNIX systems, obviously they are different in the way they operate.

I don't know UNIX well enough to be able to convert what is going on in the Linux systems and use it for Macintosh... :/

To be honest was looking for something more along the lines of a kext or editing a kext than anything.

Thanks.

Well, the only kext edit i'm aware of is AGPM.kext, to add your card ID and vendor so it gets PowerManaged, but i doubt somehow that it will fix your blank desktop.

The usual solution i recommend is plugin an external monitor to the laptop or setting up a ScreenSharing client which you will use to try and connect to your laptop after the verbose stalls. This is just to get confirmation that the desktop gets loaded on a basic level.

Ok how do I add card ID and vendor?

I never said I had a black desktop, this is for a Laptop. I can boot perfectly with just Intel HD Graphics 3000 enabled. But I want the GT 540M enabled, or at least recognised. So I can boot with switchable graphics.

Regards

"

When I try to boot with the Nvidia card enabled in the BIOS my laptop just stops on boot with this

"nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time:1343775763"."

^ You said this.

Open AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext > contents > Info.plist

IOKit>Machines> (Locate your MBP model or board id - the one you're using in the SMBIOS ). For example purpose i'll use Mac-4B7AC7E43945597E (MBP9,1) inside the dictionary array you will find GFX0 and IGPU, so you must change GFX0 to the device name you have in the DSDT for your nvidia gpu. Usually it's PEGP or something, better check.

Also duplicate and rename it to "Vendor10deDevice0df4", for me renaming it to PEGP does the job, for others the complete vendor id.

^ You said this.

Open AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext > contents > Info.plist

IOKit>Machines> (Locate your MBP model or board id - the one you're using in the SMBIOS ). For example purpose i'll use Mac-4B7AC7E43945597E (MBP9,1) inside the dictionary array you will find GFX0 and IGPU, so you must change GFX0 to the device name you have in the DSDT for your nvidia gpu. Usually it's PEGP or something, better check.

Also duplicate and rename it to "Vendor10deDevice0df4", for me renaming it to PEGP does the job, for others the complete vendor id.

What's "IOKit>Machines?"

I have my MBP model (Mac-94245A3940C91C80, MBP8,2).

Where is the dictionary array? So that I can change my device name?

And not sure if I have the Nvidia inside of the DSDT? How do I find out?

No need to use bold text and multicolor wall of text. I said he may need to tweak his DSDT to allow the card to be active as primary if the bios doesn't do the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have an Optimus notebook too, Samsung RF 411. However, it has a BIOS that's almost useless, in the sense that it doesn't allow choosing of GPUs at all. The BIOS has very limited options in any case. Furthermore, OS X CAN boot from the HD 3000 with full QE/CI, no problem. But I'd like to enable the NVIDIA GPU, and it seems like the HD 3000 is set as default. Even in Windows, I need a driver from NVIDIA to be able to recognise and use the GT 525M GPU. Please help. I am already running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1

• Like 1

i am begining to like this thread already

i also have my nvidia not recognized by os x and i dont have any nvidia enable option in my bios

i updated my bios to the latest version but nothing appears for nvidia except when i enable sata 6 mode it completly shuts down nvidia

i confirmed this at windows 7 cause when i opened nvidia control panel there was no graphic card detected (intel hd works fine )

i hope i can force my card with this husaber link / method

Hello! I have Samsung RF411 too, with Nvidia Optimus (Gt540m + IntelHD3000)

Searching at the net, i found this guy, he has Switchable video sucessfully, check out in this link:

http://www.osx86.net...acer_4750g.html

If we can identify the methods modified on the DSDT, can we use the Nvidia card!

I liked the attach image!!

i am begining to like this thread already

i also have my nvidia not recognized by os x and i dont have any nvidia enable option in my bios

i updated my bios to the latest version but nothing appears for nvidia except when i enable sata 6 mode it completly shuts down nvidia

i confirmed this at windows 7 cause when i opened nvidia control panel there was no graphic card detected (intel hd works fine )

i hope i can force my card with this husaber link / method

I had the same problem!

But i can fix it disabling the UEFI support on BIOS.

Thats way works for me!

post-583399-0-13373500-1346731960_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...