Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Installation:

First off make an OS X bootable USB installation drive. There are plenty of tutorials on this forums on doing so, please search for one. It's pretty easy to do.

For Pre-installation c3hutson sums it up best (My comments in brackets):

{In the BIOS make sure the} SATA is on AUTO-DETECT and remains that way {If you change it after installation your system will not find any hard drives}. I recommend just having one hard drive (your target install HD) installed and no other drives installed for the initial install. I also recommend unplugging any USB device other than mouse/keyboard/jump drive.

For Installation I recommend plugging your installation usb drive in one of the back USB ports, my front ports would not boot the drive. After you power on the system hit F12 to bring up the system's boot menu. Choose USB drive from the list and it should boot. Install as normal.

After the initial installation we'll begin post installation. You'll want to boot off the USB drive again and this time choose your hard drive as the boot device. Mac OS X should boot. Download the below driver and file pack and follow the READ_ME in the archive.

Below are the Drivers and files I used for post installation to get a fully functioning system. These were acquired form various posts in this thread. Thanks to all who posted them.

Dell XPS 410 Drivers 10.18.2012.zip

Thanks to c3hutson and Browndogfred for their work on keeping the Dell XPS 410 alive!

The below is OLD information from 2006 and should NOT be referenced for making your system work as of 10.18.2012.

Ok folks, my Dell XPS 410 shipped tonight and should be here in a few days. I am kinda excited about my new purchase although a little sick at actually spending money on a Dell. But hey... the price was right. I would have bought another iMac (like my wife's) but Apple didn't want to give my 18 months no interest. So I am purchasing from the enemy.

I have been compiling information about this system in an attempt to ease the pain of others who might want to purchase a XPS 410 and run OsX86 on their new toy. Of course, I won't actually know anything concrete about installing/running OsX86 on it until it actually arrives at my house. Anyone else with a XPS 410 please feel free to join in the fray.

To start off let me link to the technical information and known factual information.

Service Manual - View in new Window

The CPU in my unit is a Intel� Core� 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz. I have read mixed reviews of the core 2 duos working properly with both cores under OsX86. I'll not know until my new system arrives. It's a shame the Dell isn't down with overclocking, the E6600 is supposed to be a overclocking beast.

The system is glued together by the Intel P965 Express Chipset. The new 965 chipset does not contain native support for standard ATA IDE interfaces. This means that the DVD-RW (as well as the hard drive) in my new system will be SATA II. Installing a fresh Install on this machine might be impossible without adding additional hardware. Some white box main boards will have 3rd party ATA IDE controller chip installed for ATA/IDE support, but this is known to not work with OsX86. The XPS 410 does not have a 3rd party ATA/IDE chipset on the board.

The hard drive and DVD-RW model and brand are unknown at this point. I'll fill in the blanks later.

This system ships with a PCI-e Geforce 7300LE video card. I am replacing it with my trusty Sapphire Radeon x1600Pro PCI-e card. The Geforce 7300le will be set aside for now and not used. The monitor my system comes with is the 1907FPC which has both analogue VGA and DVI hookups. It looks like a good midrange 19inch 4:3 ratio LCD. I couldn't afford the 20 inch wide screen sad.png Hopefully I should be good with the monitor supporting both display inputs.

The network is an Integrated Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection, which to the best of my knowledge is NOT supported by OsX86. I didn't see anything in the wiki about it, but I have a feeling it's not going to work.

The Audio is driven by the Sigmatel 9227 audio codec, which also is not supported by OsX86 (yet). From what I understand progress is being made. Good luck to those working on it. I have a USB Sound Blaster I will be using in the meantime. Please Correct me if i am wrong about this not working.

Update: 02-08-2007 - Audio is now working for 10.4.8 / kernel 8.8.1 users.

Use the linux Sigmatel 9227 dump (located here: http://forum.insanel...mp;#entry295155 )

along with the AppleHDA Patcher (located here: http://forum.insanel...o...859&hl=9227 ) and it will work. I also have been told you NEED the latest DaemonES Kernel 8.8.1 for the 1.13 patcher to work. YMMV.

I am adding another 250GB hard drive to compliment the 250GB it comes with. The XPS 410 chassis seems to have 2 bays for SATA II Hard Drives. I am filling them both with 250GB drives for a total of 500GB.

I am also adding my PCI linksys broadcom-based wireless card. I know it works because I am using it right now.

Update: 02-08-2007 - My PCI linksys broadcom-based wireless card worked under 10.4.7 but not under 10.4.8/kernel 8.8.1 . Oh well. No wireless for me.

My unit comes stock with one GB of DDR2 667Mhz ram. 2 out of 4 slots free. I'll be adding more ram as soon as I can.

Again, At this point all I can say is that something is either known or not known to work. I'll have the full run down when my new system arrives.

So hopefully I'll get my new toy and everything will 'just work' with OsX86. If not I'll put the Geforce 7300le back in and it'll be one hell of a linux box.

Please forgive my typos and errors . As always, Comments welcome.

Update: 12-12-2006 - I am working on the Guide for this system. At this point I don't have everything working. Since I am getting symbol errors form the newer kernels on a varity of kext drivers it is becoming incresingly difficult to make things work. In hindsight buying a premade non-Apple system for a Mac/Hackintosh was probably not the best idea. But, as they say, the show must go on...

Future updates will be in this thread and referenced to in this first post.

Interesting Links I may or may not have used.

965 Install DVD Patch - http://forum.insanel...showtopic=34938

Edited by slave-zeo

From what Dell's website says it should be delivered tomorrow.

I'll have a full hardware review and all the information I can cram into a text box shortly thereafter.

• 2 months later...

slave-zeo, I see in your sig that you now have 10.4.8-is this the new kernel and was it a clean install? I am considering getting an XPS410 just like this one and was wondering what all hardware I would have to buy with it to get it 100% working with a fresh install of the new kernel 10.4.8. It looks like at least a sound card and network card? Would I need a firewire card also?

Thanks

slave-zeo is putting together a how-to for this machine and will post it along with some benchmarks as soon as he gets them done.

I'm hoping it will work with the new 10.4.8 JAS install with the new kernel without too many patches or extra hardware. :tomato:

I'm in the same boat too. I'm thinking of getting a new Dell and was looking for feedback for a OSX compatible machine.

I was told either this machine, or a e520.

Well, we know that sound and lan aren't going to work. Also, the ICH8 chipset isn't completely supported as of yet, so installation would need to be done using a usb dvd drive, as the ide ports do not work.

Actually, I couldn't even get it to install on a USB hard Drive and there are NO ide ports at all on the XPS410. The VMware method was not so fruitful either.

I had to do some hardware swapping to get it to initially install. But after the trouble was over it was SO worth it. It's fast as hell.

Guide forthcoming. Sit tight.

Hi!

I've been struggling to get past "waiting for root device" on a Dell Dimension E520 Core2Duo.

Every install disk I've tried (myzar 10.4.5, goatsecx 10.4.6 and even JaS 10.4.8 reseed with latest kernel) , native, or through vmware has failed to get even to the installation screen!

I have three SSE2 machines at home running various OSX86 versions without major problems, and I honestly thought this SSE3 PC would be simple with latest kernel and possible NATIT support of the ATI x1300 (I HOPE?? ).

I have an id=af partition all ready for OSX once it gets past the root device wait, but I have not followed any of the guide in this thread yet, as it's a work PC, and changing the raid and/or swapping sata ports is risky if I end up messing up the XP install!

So will following the guide in post1 of this thread help me?

Do I need to get some sort of usb->sata convertor?

I would really appreciate any advice or guidance, once I get to the install screen i'll be fine...

Thanks in advance.

NewTrax

Actually, I couldn't even get it to install on a USB hard Drive and there are NO ide ports at all on the XPS410. The VMware method was not so fruitful either.

I had to do some hardware swapping to get it to initially install. But after the trouble was over it was SO worth it. It's fast as hell.

Guide forthcoming. Sit tight.

There is no guide in the first post (yet), just a commentary on the hardware and its compatibility.

Try putting your IDE hard drive and IDE DVD drive on the same cable with the hard drive set to master and the DVD drive set to slave using jumpers, not cable select.

If that fails, then try the VMWare method to install to your hard drive for native booting: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314

Thanks for your reply Rammjet.

I actually meant to link to the first post of THIS thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...20root%20device

Not really sure what the motherboard in this Dell actually is, but both the HD & DVD are SATA ONLY, and I thought maybe swapping them to different ports or colors might help?

Do SATA devices still have master/slave jumpers?

I have already tried the VMWARE guide, but still "waiting for root device" unfortunately.

I thought that as both the HD and DVD are emulated as IDE within vmware, that would side-step the SATA only issue?

Next things I might try...

1. Reset BIOS SATA from RAID/AUTO to AUTO (I don't think RAID is being used as there is only one harddrive anyway)

2. Swap SATA ports around.

3. Buy a real Mac ?!?!?

Any more advice is welcome!

There is no guide in the first post (yet), just a commentary on the hardware and its compatibility.

Try putting your IDE hard drive and IDE DVD drive on the same cable with the hard drive set to master and the DVD drive set to slave using jumpers, not cable select.

If that fails, then try the VMWare method to install to your hard drive for native booting: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314

I am still working on the guide BUT I have opened another can of worms with network drivers.

It looks like a WHOLE LOT of unresolved symbol errors form the 8.8.1 kernel on both my broadcom/ralink PCI wireless and my recently working 3com 905c PCI.

fun fun fun.

Edited by slave-zeo

I guess I can cut this into smaller chunks and eventually make a whole guide out of it.

To get this installed on my Dell XPS 410 I had to physically take the included hard drive out or the system and connect it to another system for the installation. I hooked it to an Intel 945 chipset main board, but anything that is known working for OSX86 will do.

I used a PS2 connected Mouse and Keyboard to avoid any post installation USB woes (the XPS 410 DOES NOT have and PS2 ports for mice adn keyboards, only USB). My Harddrive was connected to the SATA 0 on the Intel 945 based board. Upon booting the Newer Jas 10.4.8 install DVD from an ATA connected DVD-ROM drive (jumppered master on the secondary ATA channel) I was able to load the installer and complete the install without a hitch. For installation I made the following choices from the installation screen. Wording on the packages might be little off since I am going from memory. I'll get proper wording on my next install.

- JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update

- INTEL.SSE3.mifki

- INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support

- USB soundblaster support

I had to choose the mifki Kernel because the included semthex would go {censored} up on boot. I also DID NOT isntall the USB support patch.

I installed the great driver pack for the Gigabyte GA-965P boards, being made for a 965 based board it shares a lot with our XPS 410s. I didn't install the whole thing, only the USB and ICH8 SATA stuff. You can download it below and dont forget to thank Pion for it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/3117240/gigaby...3-4pack.1.2.dmg

I also installed Natit for full video support on my included PCIe 16x GeForce 7300 video card. I later upgraded the 7300 to a 7900 GS and it still works fine. Natit can be found below.

http://dm.freeflux.net/projects/natit/

After getting it ready on the Intel 945 baord I was ready to move the hard drive back ot its home in my XPS 410.

More on this later...

To get this installed on my Dell XPS 410 I had to physically take the included hard drive out or the system and connect it to another system for the installation. I hooked it to an Intel 945 chipset main board, but anything that is known working for OSX86 will do.

Thanks a lot for your detailed instructions, but I'm really not going to be able to connect the drive to another SATA capable OSX system.

Is there NO way to get past my "waiting for root device" by swapping SATA ports or using VMWARE ????

What about if I get a SATA->USB adapter or another PATA HD connect using a SATA->PATA adapter?

Thanks a lot for your detailed instructions, but I'm really not going to be able to connect the drive to another SATA capable OSX system.

Is there NO way to get past my "waiting for root device" by swapping SATA ports or using VMWARE ????

What about if I get a SATA->USB adapter or another PATA HD connect using a SATA->PATA adapter?

Truthfully I Never did get the VMWare method to work on this machine, not under windows or linux OR with version 10.4.7 or 10.4.8. I could boot to the DVD from a USB connected DVD-ROM drive BUT the SATA channels do not show up without the ICH8 patch installed, SO there was no hard drive to physically install to from my USB connected DVD drive. IF someone could make an Install DVD with ICH8 support from the get go you could probably pop in the disc and install just fine (when booting form a USB connected DVD-ROM drive, that is).

Also, I don't think the Sound or LAN will ever work on the XPS 410. ^_^

I am working on the second part of the how-to right now and should have it online this evening.

On a side note, on the way to work this morning I got the bright idea to make a dd image of a CLEAN/PATCHED OS X 10.4.8 w/8.8.1 kernel to make a linux based install DVD to act as a XPS410 restore disc of sorts. I am going to look into it more tonight when i get home from work. dd is a great tool and should be able to get the job done with minimal manual coding (aside form a few shell scripts to write the image back to an hard drive from a restore DVD) on my part. I was planing on including only the needed patches and since everyone XPS410 is pretty much the same it should work across the board. Any Thoughts?

Edited by slave-zeo

IF someone could make an Install DVD with ICH8 support from the get go you could probably pop in the disc and install just fine (when booting form a USB connected DVD-ROM drive, that is).

I got the bright idea to make a dd image of a CLEAN/PATCHED OS X 10.4.8 w/8.8.1 kernel to make a linux based install DVD to act as a XPS410 restore disc of sorts.

Also, I don't think the Sound or LAN will ever work on the XPS 410. :whistle:

Thanks for explaining the "root" cause of my problem - ICH8 support only happens AFTER installation, but is needed IMMEDIATELY to even get to the install screen.

I haven't had any problems booting off directly off my SATA DVD, I just can't get as far as the GUI install screen, because of "waiting for root device".

The disk image copying method would be cool (or even a vmware image with the ICH8 patch maybe?), but ideally a bootable DVD with the native ICH8 support would be best.

thanks again, but without LAN support it's sounding pointless for my work office needs (vmware would do though).

The disk image copying method would be cool (or even a vmware image with the ICH8 patch maybe?), but ideally a bootable DVD with the native ICH8 support would be best.

Working on that now. I can't get VMware to work for me BUT I can provide a raw DD image of the partition. You can use what ever other OS you have to DD the image back to a hard drive of your choosing. I'll make the image and test it tonight, It should only work on XPS410 systems though.

thanks again, but without LAN support it's sounding pointless for my work office needs (vmware would do though).

I was able to get Network access by putting my 3COM 905c card back in the bottom PCI slot, disabling the onboard NIC, and playing with the IONetworkfamily.kext's permissions. I was getting the 'different subclass' error (or something like that) initially with the onboard NIC enabled. DIsabling seemed to make a difference.

And Speaking of Networking, I can't wait for ralink drivers to become working again. Prasysis is working on the USB and PCI, see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33896

I also updated the Kernel to the 'latest build' using Praysis's update script located at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33039

Another issue I am having is the audio from the onboard (sigmatel 9227). I am fully aware it won't work BUT it does show up in the preference pane's sound settings and in the audio and midi device application in the Utilities folder. I just get no output form it. I tried all ports on the back and the two on the front with no luck. drat. In the meantime i an using my trusty Soundblaster external USB adapter. It works great but I hate having to us a USB port for it.

yea doesnt look good for audio or network. i broke down and bought a cheap usb sound card and the netgear ga311 gigabit nic card - total of 20 bucks. i am hoping sum drivers will arise for the 9227 so i dont have to jack anymore. but on a good note windows is my secondary os.

Edited by xplizid

• 4 weeks later...