Dock is now opaque

Derek12

18 posts in this topic

After a troublesome post-installation all is fine though I still need to install sound driver. Now I have a minor issue.

The dock is now totally opaque (and therefore ugly IMO) and I don't know why, I cannot find any setting regarding it and I've tried rebooting and so on.

Thanks for any help

post-767483-0-07563700-1343830219_thumb.png

Ein, sure? Because I saw the screenshots even that of the Wiki and all of them are transparent:

83835761.png

Compare the dock with the above. This wallpaper is more difficult to distinguish. Hint: See the stars in the top one :)

• Like 1

I see what the OP is talking about. Comparing the screenshots one is opaque and the other isn't fully. But I guess they changed that from one DP build to another, or to retail. I've heard a lot of people complaining about it, would have never thought the transparent dock was that important to folks! I much prefer this one personally :)

It is indeed... and furthermore it cannot be modded! Updated candybar and it gave me that very message! I also love a widget called dock unlocker2 which still does the job, however it causes the new look dashboard to choke up and white screen. Only way to escape is to tab to the desktop. So sadly on ML it's Trash food. Compared to the frequent horrors of a Microsoft OS upgrade and having to run out and buy new hardware etc! I can live with a broken widget.

That said.... Preview now is a load of rubbish unless you have a trackpad or new might mouse multitouch! I have and want neither! They've removed the move rtool totlly from the app...nasty! This forces users to have to upgrade their hardware... a leaf out of Microsnatch's book! ANd with apple mice and trackpads don't come cheap.

For my sins my preferred mouse is a Logitech Trackball marble mouse. Updated the drivers to what they say is 10.8 compatible.... Works okay in browsers for scrolling but open a game and it's utterly useless! Thankfully I have a microsoft backup... plugged it in and installed intellipoint 8.01 and game-wise the mouse works as expected..

Honestly reckon I'm gonna stick with SL Long-term...best OS ever created! Sad it's been all downhill since! I suspect we're lucky to have a dock at all so don't {censored} about it! (That's what apple expect us to think these days!)

Give it time... I have no doubt that both the community and app developers like the folks that make CandyBar are going to make it possible before long. It's just released 1 week ago today.... Sure every company updates it's OS from time to time in a way that rubs people the wrong way, but ultimately things get developed and people find ways to either modify it, or force it to work how they want :)

• Like 1

Afraid I don't really see it happening... but with the dock maybe so... I've been waiting for Apple to fix Photobooth since 10.7 was launched... with ML I see it's as bad as ever... Try taking a pic of yourself with the interactive animated backdrops. Likewise I hoped Preview on Lion was just a brain burp the way they had changed the default behaviours... Only to find with ML they'd obliterated usability for the mouse user by taking away the move tool! I didn't mind losing Front Row as there are better indie alternatives oyt there like XBMC and Plex... The latter rocks as you can use it cross platform! =)

I'm not a fan of mobile... and I hate how they've butchered the desktop totally. Wish they'd bought out 2 different versions of both Lion and Mountain Lion. What next an apple magnifying glass to see the 13" MBP??? I'd never be able to use such as a mobile, too darn small. Even with a 15.8" retina display I'd need a big screen! Apple spared the user no thought here. As for accessibility I'm starting to see less in there than previously to make life easier for us "over 25's....."

Interesting to see you're running Lenovos there... Sleep working perfectly??? Having big issues here trying to get into iCloud and Facetime...

wtf are you talking about? :whistle: it IS the new ML dock, it looks the same on my mac book air, pro and mac pro :)

*facepalm*

Is it hard to you to see the screenshot above like OneBlueSky did and see the difference?????? they are from mine and from the same version, install, the only difference is the above one was taken from in safe mode.

I know ML changed the "shelf" style using a aluminium texture, but I've never saw it opaque in ANY screenshot

Anywhere I can live with that but I do think it is not normal.

*facepalm* Is it hard to you to see the screenshot above like OneBlueSky did and see the difference?????? they are from mine and from the same version, install, the only difference is the above one was taken from in safe mode. I know ML changed the "shelf" style using a aluminium texture, but I've never saw it opaque in ANY screenshot Anywhere I can live with that but I do think it is not normal.
Safe mode installs Microsoft Office? Man that sucks. :(

Afraid I don't really see it happening... but with the dock maybe so... I've been waiting for Apple to fix Photobooth since 10.7 was launched... with ML I see it's as bad as ever... Try taking a pic of yourself with the interactive animated backdrops. Likewise I hoped Preview on Lion was just a brain burp the way they had changed the default behaviours... Only to find with ML they'd obliterated usability for the mouse user by taking away the move tool! I didn't mind losing Front Row as there are better indie alternatives oyt there like XBMC and Plex... The latter rocks as you can use it cross platform! =)

I'm not a fan of mobile... and I hate how they've butchered the desktop totally. Wish they'd bought out 2 different versions of both Lion and Mountain Lion. What next an apple magnifying glass to see the 13" MBP??? I'd never be able to use such as a mobile, too darn small. Even with a 15.8" retina display I'd need a big screen! Apple spared the user no thought here. As for accessibility I'm starting to see less in there than previously to make life easier for us "over 25's....."

Interesting to see you're running Lenovos there... Sleep working perfectly??? Having big issues here trying to get into iCloud and Facetime...

Well, I don't know about Apple fixing things, but there are plenty of people out there that modify parts of the OS and various programs to make them work as people want. It's just a week old, a TON of that stuff was done for Lion, I am sure the modding community/third party developers will make it happen here as well :)

Yeah, I have no trouble with sleep on either. Well I don't know about forced sleep. My laptop lid is never closed, and I never put them to sleep manually, but they both go to sleep after about 30 minutes of inactivity and I've never had a problem waking them. I don't use Facetime at all nor will I, but iCloud works fine. Just had to install a serial number on each machine.

I know ML changed the "shelf" style using a aluminium texture, but I've never saw it opaque in ANY screenshot

Anywhere I can live with that but I do think it is not normal.

It's opaque on my two hacks, and my year old real iMac as well. I think it is "normal" in the retail release? I don't know, but on all my machines it's opaque, and in the DP builds it was not. So I just figured they changed it somewhere along the way. To be honest like I said I prefer it as it is now, but a lot of people seem bothered. Not so much by it being opaque, but whatever they did there seems to have broken apps like CandyBar and I know a lot of people are bothered by that.

I think the SL dock was fully opaque too, what you seeing is a reflection, not the thing beneath it.

Not sure about SL, but no, the earlier builds of ML indeed had some transparency. It was just the final build I noticed it was opaque. You could change the wallpapers and indeed see it was what was beneath the dock, not a reflection. Now it's all reflection. Which I like personally, but it is indeed different.

@OneBlueSky.... Not even a week old... more like a year old. BUt officially a week! Rememer the dev previews? and From what I can remember the first of these came out a week after Lion officially launched last year,,, plenty of time for the dev community to fix stuff!

Think I have the Sleep Enabler running fine now... just doesn't seem to shut off as immediately as I'd evpect... On a desktop no lidd either. But I asked about the Lnovos as they'd be one of the cheapest notebooks around to hack and they come very well specced!!! Does the inbuilt wifi work as expected???

Got into Facetime okay after a wait but have just discovered that somehow the smbios.plist ref in my boot.plist was pointed at my SL partition.... I must have edited it on that partition and even though I would have chosen the ML partition I reckon somehow it defaulted. I think Chameleon Wizard,,, great as it is is very buggy and now once again no longer connects to buildbot! For that reason I'm booting ML for now with Chimera instead! Reckon after a reboot I should be in business...I reckon the generis someserialnumber serial in the smbios.plist has been used more than 3 times alright! Lol

As for the black dock... not sure if its just a matter of going into Core Services and drilling down to find the dock .pngs...editing them with transparency and saving as... but worth a play if you have a spare partition lying around!!!

ML DP1 came out in February, so not really a year but half of one. Editing the new dock is a bit difficult and was unable to do so since DP4. I had been using a script I wrote to replace the dock's png files with custom black versions but that no longer works with the new Dock, mainly the scurve.png is no longer part of it, and was the main bulk of the dock, the rest being seperators, frontline and the indicators. So, I'm thinking they stashed them in a ART or SART file that will need a method to unpack and recompile before those UI changes can be made. Usually doesn't take too long for a command line tool to come out that can do it. The last version I was able to do extensive modding was DP3, which can be seen in the last pic of my build linked in my signature, with black dock that I miss :(

@OneBlueSky.... Not even a week old... more like a year old. BUt officially a week! Rememer the dev previews? and From what I can remember the first of these came out a week after Lion officially launched last year,,, plenty of time for the dev community to fix stuff!

Think I have the Sleep Enabler running fine now... just doesn't seem to shut off as immediately as I'd evpect... On a desktop no lidd either. But I asked about the Lnovos as they'd be one of the cheapest notebooks around to hack and they come very well specced!!! Does the inbuilt wifi work as expected???

Got into Facetime okay after a wait but have just discovered that somehow the smbios.plist ref in my boot.plist was pointed at my SL partition.... I must have edited it on that partition and even though I would have chosen the ML partition I reckon somehow it defaulted. I think Chameleon Wizard,,, great as it is is very buggy and now once again no longer connects to buildbot! For that reason I'm booting ML for now with Chimera instead! Reckon after a reboot I should be in business...I reckon the generis someserialnumber serial in the smbios.plist has been used more than 3 times alright! Lol

As for the black dock... not sure if its just a matter of going into Core Services and drilling down to find the dock .pngs...editing them with transparency and saving as... but worth a play if you have a spare partition lying around!!!

Yeah, but not all software devs participate. And it's time in DP builds doesn't matter, because it wasn't available on a large scale. So it wasn't available to the public as an official build. As a result, there has been no demand, or at the very most VERY little demand for UI changes like the dock. Now that it's out, and millions of people are using it, they will release ways to customize it. Don't worry :) Just a matter of time, as always.

Well, I suppose the Wifi depends on which card it comes with. Mine didn't, so I bought a new Wifi card for it (was about 5 dollars) and opened up the computer, removed the old Wifi adapter (very easy to do) and installed the new one. Just figure out what adapter the Lenovo you're looking at uses, and if it uses one that's known to not work, either replace the adapter, or get another Lenovo model :)

As for the serial, I don't know. I used a program that I can't remember off the top of my head (but I'll figure out what it was) to install the fake serial number and it's worked fine since then.