Looking for Mobo/GPU for an Ivy Bridge ML hackintosh

2 posts in this topic

I'm currently running Lion on a C2Q Q9300 (OC'd to 3ghz) and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. I'd like to upgrade to an ivy bridge setup to run mountain lion, so I'd like some recomendation on parts. For motherboards, I'd like to stick with Gigabyte, Intel, or Asus as that's what we can get from our suppliers (I work at a computer store). I don't need a top of the line rig as it's not used for gaming, but I do use VMs on it quite a bit, so having decent processing power is more important than video performance. I'll most likely reuse my 9500GT unless for some reason it's not going to work in ML or with the new build. I need dual monitor support as well. The cpu I'd like to use will be the Core i5-3570K. Will be running a Vanilla kernel if that makes any difference. Don't need thunderbolt, but want USB 3.

Cliffs:

Need recomendation for 1155 mobo to work with the i5-3570K

Recomendations for video cards if my 9500GT won't work

I was looking at a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P, since it has the realtek audio instead of the Via chip that some people are reportedly having issues with, any thoughts?

I'm currently running Lion on a C2Q Q9300 (OC'd to 3ghz) and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. I'd like to upgrade to an ivy bridge setup to run mountain lion, so I'd like some recomendation on parts. For motherboards, I'd like to stick with Gigabyte, Intel, or Asus as that's what we can get from our suppliers (I work at a computer store). I don't need a top of the line rig as it's not used for gaming, but I do use VMs on it quite a bit, so having decent processing power is more important than video performance. I'll most likely reuse my 9500GT unless for some reason it's not going to work in ML or with the new build. I need dual monitor support as well. The cpu I'd like to use will be the Core i5-3570K. Will be running a Vanilla kernel if that makes any difference. Don't need thunderbolt, but want USB 3.

Cliffs:

Need recomendation for 1155 mobo to work with the i5-3570K

Recomendations for video cards if my 9500GT won't work

I was looking at a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P, since it has the realtek audio instead of the Via chip that some people are reportedly having issues with, any thoughts?

The GA-B75M has been tested and works great with mountain lion :D

As for graphics, I don't know much about OS X support for the 9500 but your CPU has the Intel HD4000 GPU which, if I'm not mistaken, should out perform the 9500GT. The intel HD4000 is supported natively in mountain lion.