Dell Inspiron 1545 help

michelbites

8 posts in this topic

I somewhat was able to make a bootable hackintosh. I say it this way because I can't get chameleon to work or GRUB to boot to the Mac OS.

This is what I was able to do.

I wanted a triple bootable (Mac OS X, Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu) machine out of my old Dell Inspiron 1545. The partitions are 100/100/30 gigs. 30 gigs being Linux. Once installed Linux over written Chameleon and Grub took over. Which seemed okay till I went to boot from Grub. It doesn't boot at all. It does boot to Windows and linux with no problem. I have to insert a thumb drive I made to boot with Super Grub to boot to the mac side. It works. But its a pain in the butt...

I would like to have Chameleon as the boot.

I also have another problem, MacOSX doesn't seem to display the video 1366x768 resolution properly. Every time I install the proper kext it just makes my screen go black and doesn't boot.

Well I need help. PLEASE! I know this is all a mess but if I can get any help that would be great.

My background is little on the Linux and Mac side but I am a computer technician and work in Windows mostly. So in other words I would be considered a n00b in the whole mac and linux stuff. I'm trying to change this. I want to learn more about the other sides and thought this would be great start.

Any help would be nice. Thanks...

grub2 works. linuxmint uses it but the default setting it does is for real macs..so its best to boot from the mac bootsector instead of grub2 trying to load the boot file

set root hd 0,x

insmod hfsplus

chainloader +1

i dont recommend dualboot on single drive due to GPT and MBR hybrid partition issues that eventually happen.

• Like 1

grub2 works. linuxmint uses it but the default setting it does is for real macs..so its best to boot from the mac bootsector instead of grub2 trying to load the boot file

set root hd 0,x

insmod hfsplus

chainloader +1

i dont recommend dualboot on single drive due to GPT and MBR hybrid partition issues that eventually happen.

How exactly do I do this with Grub2? Thanks...