Thoughts about Mountain Lion with Atom (yes, Atom)

120 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I'm trying to get 10.8.2 up and running on my old Ion board, and can't seem to get the video card and software to shake hands and be friends. The gfx chip is the 9400m, the CPU is atom330. My setup for 10.6.8 worked really well, and I think this one will as well, once the gfx issues get sorted out.

The problem: system will load up to IOBluetoothHCIController [start] [completed]. From there it hangs. From a boot standpoint, this is when the graphic heavy lifting kicks in/frame buffer is initialized.

Attempted fixes: boot with -x, boot w graphicsenabler=yes/no, NVEnabler in E/E, unloading and loading back NVDA kexts one at a time to see if any are rotten. I think the solution requires patching the 9400m-specific NVDA kexts for 64bit, but I'm too noob for that.

Any suggestions or insights would be immensely helpful!!

You may refer to this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/163938-guidestudio-zotac-geforce-9300-wifi-ddr2-and-ddr3-snow-ml/page__st__780

Hi guys,

I have been messing around with hackintosh for about two weeks. I have successfully been able to get leopard and snow leopard on two older Dell Optiplexs. I have a Foxconn Nettop kicking around that I was using as a HTPC running Windows 7 (before I discovered Apple TV). My info is below. I have an 80 gig hard drive and 2 gigs memory (I believe that is what I have. I am on the road and I don't have it in front of me to check). I'm wondering if I can put Mountain Lion on this. Straight up install, no dual boot for the Windows 7 (I actually have a spare hard drive that I could experiment on and put the Windows 7 hard drive back in if I find it doesn't work). As being very new to this, any detailed help would be greatly appreciated. I have googled this topic to see if anyone has tried this on a Foxconn Nettop, but it doesn't seem to be a popular model. I have done both of my installs off iDeneb and Hazard distros.

Thanks in advance

Brand

Foxconn

Model

nT435H-0h0w-B-A-NA

Color

Black

CPU Supported

CPU Type

Intel Atom D425 @ 1.8GHz

FSB

667MHz

Chipset

North Bridge

Intel NM10

Memory Supported

Memory slot

1 x 204Pin

Memory Type Supported

DDR3 800

Max Memory Supported

4GB

Storage

Serial ATA

1 x SATA 3.0Gb/s

Graphics

Onboard Video

Intel GMA 3150

Communications

LAN

Atheros AR8131M

Max LAN Speed

10/100/1000Mbps

Wireless LAN

802.11 b/g/n

Extension Bays

2.5" Internal Bays

Front Panel Ports

Card Reader

SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro/MMC Card Reader

Back Panel Ports

HDMI

VGA

1 x D-sub

Power Supply

Power Supply

65W, 19V, 3.42A

Physical SPEC

Dimensions

7.48" x 5.31" x 0.98"

Weight

0.99 lbs.

Update...

I was able to install ML with ######. Ethernet, worked out of the gate. I used the ###### to get audio working (Voodoo). SD card reader works too. Wifi is not working and I can't seem to figure out how to get the graphics working...they are very slow. I haven't done a software update from Apple yet, I want to wait until I get atleast graphics working. I have been writing everything down that I have done, so I can write a tutorial. I would like to see if I can get the HDMI working (I haven't tried to hook it up to anything yet, as I doubt it would work). I think I may have Broadcom Crystal HD?

Anyone with any ideas or comments?

Edited by masked_hacker

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got 10.8.2 installed on my JetWay JBC600C99352W thanks to this thread. Just one quick question for those of you that have been up and running on 10.8.2 for a while, did you have the need to fix your AGPM for the Nvidia ION/ ION2 to work properly or is it not needed?

Finally got 10.8.2 installed on my JetWay JBC600C99352W thanks to this thread. Just one quick question for those of you that have been up and running on 10.8.2 for a while, did you have the need to fix your AGPM for the Nvidia ION/ ION2 to work properly or is it not needed?

Nvidea ION usually works fine oob with chameleon and graphicsenabler=yes with full QE/CI. ION2 on the other hand is as far as I know problematic...

• Like 1

Guess I will have to install HWSensors and run some videos to see if it throttles properly. Appreciate the input.

Nvidea ION usually works fine oob with chameleon and graphicsenabler=yes with full QE/CI. ION2 on the other hand is as far as I know problematic...

• 2 weeks later...

After running on 10.8.2 with iStats 4.0.5 installed, the nVidia ION2 seems to be throttling properly. I cannot believe that this machine with a D525 is running OS X pretty smoothly. With Plex installed, it relieves some of the strain when playing back 1080p videos and everything works flawlessly. Thanks to meklort and everyone else who this possible! :thumbsup_anim:

if I'm right, your MB has an Atom 330 (2 cores, 64bit) so with this patched kernel, it should be ok ;)

Intel GMA950 will not work, needs a 32 bit kext and ML is only 64 bit system

but with a GT 610 (OOB working), it should be ok too ;)

• 3 months later...

hi guys,

i need some help. im a noob with installing mac osx.

i've got a asus 1015pem netbook which has a Atom N550, with a GMA 3150.

I've tried to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but couldn't create the USB installer stick for some reason so I tried, myH**K. Which made a USB install of 10.8.3

When I boot with this, I seem to get a black screen when the graphics tries to initiate and the system seems to hang there. So trying GraphicsEnabler=No and -v. Doesn't do anything. Still black screen.

I've been reading a few guides which mention that if I get the black screen, I need to remove the graphics kexts to force 10.8 to go into VESA mode. I removed the AppleIntelHD kexts, but still I'm faced with a black screen.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is my problem , that I need the patched kernel on the USB installer?

How would I install mountain lion on this N550 netbook?

Can someone tell me, how to get the installer working?

Of course the netbook doesn't have DVD Drive so , I couldn't try Nir*s*h

thanks.

You need a component of Chameleon that doesn't exist in the other tool - that's why Voldemort's spells won't work - called the KernelPatcher.dylib. Without it, you're wasting your time.

All the best!

P.S.: are you sure you want it? GMA3150 means no QE/CI by any means: YouTube won't play, iWork - forgive me the lousy pun - won't work, QuickTime won't run properly for any resolution that's watchable, VLC will crash etc - the list of what you'll be missing is really long. So why not try to get an older laptop with better compatibility (first gen core i3 could be a good deal) or even an older netbook with compatible graphics, such as the Asus 1201n?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've had good success using the MLPostFactor 32-bit Mt. Lion installer on hackintosh laptops that lack 64-bit video cards. For example, a Dell Inspiron 1525 with X3100 GPU runs 10.8.5 with full QE/CI via an MLPostFactor installation which uses a modified 32-bit Mt. Lion Dev.Preview kernel. What I'd like to do is use MLPostFactor's 32-bit Mt.Lion installation on an Atom-based netbook, specifically an MSI U100 with Atom N170 CPU. I've been able to get the installer to start, but I think the problem is that the mach_kernel isn't patched for Atom, and all the Atom patched Mt.Lion kernels are 64-bit only.

My question: How can I patch the MLPostFactor 32-bit Mt. Lion mach_kernel to support the Atom N170 CPU?

This is a big deal, it would enable Atom netbooks to jump from 10.6.8 straight across to 10.8.5 with QE/CI acceleration for older GPUs like the GMA950 or X3100.

• 5 months later...

Can i hackintosh on asus eee pc 1025c.

SPEC:

CPU: Atom n2800 1.86 Ghz. Cache: 512KBx2.

RAM: 2G DDR3.

VGA: GMA 3600 Series 768MB memory shared.

CHIPSET: Intel NM10/ICH7.

AUDIO: Realtek Hight Difinition.

Wireless: Atheros IEEE802.11b/g/n.

HDD: 320 GB.

I try to install iATKOS L2 with atom kernel and clover bootloader but kernel panic.

Ps: sorry for my bad english. I'm not good at English :)

Who is up for the Yosemite challenge?

I've got my beta downloaded and I have managed to get it work on my Hackintosh Pro (Mac Pro case with PC parts)

I want to play with it on the 1201n just to see if there are any speed improvements, but I am hoping to corral a bunch of us back to the forum to participate in getting all the functions working as well as they have for Mavericks.

• Like 1

I already have Yosemite up and running on the 1201N since it's out. I'm on DP4 now. It works as good as ML, and with an almost vanilla system, thanks to TimeWalker75a's support package. You'll need latest Clover. Good luck!

Here:             #7            

P.S.: the support package adds other cool features, such as screen dimming before sleep (even the real MBA 2,1 doesn't have it), full hotkey support, perfect sleep and wake, working hardware sensors, working AGPM, working hardware BT and Wi-Fi switching etc. I can tell that, aside the weight and the CPU/battery performance, I have near-MBA user experience.

P.P.S.: TimeWalker75a said he'll perhaps disassemble the NVDAResman.kext to make it output proper digital AV signal for HDMI. No promises made, mind you, but if he actually manages to do it, we 1201n users would enjoy HDMI audio, which was never possible. Wouldn't it be cool?

Can i hackintosh on asus eee pc 1025c.
SPEC:
CPU: Atom n2800 1.86 Ghz. Cache: 512KBx2.
RAM: 2G DDR3.
VGA: GMA 3600 Series 768MB memory shared.
CHIPSET: Intel NM10/ICH7.
AUDIO: Realtek Hight Difinition.
Wireless: Atheros IEEE802.11b/g/n.
HDD: 320 GB.
I try to install iATKOS L2 with atom kernel and clover bootloader but kernel panic.
Ps: sorry for my bad english. I'm not good at English :)

Hoang, it can be done, but your graphics card isn't supported by OS X and will never be. Just like good old GMA 3150, it will render slow graphics and perhaps improper resolution. Meklort developed a solution that enabled a working frame buffer for the 3150 - still, no QE/CI - but I thing it would do no good for your specific GPU. So, in a phrase: only install it if you absolutely don't care about graphics.

• Like 1