Recomendation to convert .DMG to .ISO on Mint so i can have Os X vm

Acro_Design

8 posts in this topic

Short story.

I would like to create an ISO of my snow leopard DVD no pirate ideas.

Long story with added sarcasym.

I know this isnt really a Nix problem well it sort of is. Im working on ditching my partitions and using a more intelligent solution being Virtual box. If the misses will allow it that is. she knows what im up to!

I taught her to well i gues. Anyway its clearly apealing to remain slightly in the Os X 86 sceane since my laptop is going to a local business, I am in love with linux mint so this is my primary Os and will be the preference to offer solutions thanks. Anyway yes back on topic, im working on a virtual machine. now the prosses is fairly straight forward, much like the usual method, I have opted for DVD snow leopard install, I tried the USB lion using plop boot manager in the virtual box but that didnt work, It was a compleately mad idea to be fair. Anyway moving on, I get to empire efi, so thats good im setup fine, but i dont have a .ISO of snow leopard DVD which seems to be the only way this is going to work, linux the host reads the dvd as bootcamp, obviously! This means i need to make a ISO image of my disk, (I am not a pirate, I cant download torrents because my imorality seems to be corupted) moving on, can i use a dmg that i created on my acertosh and convert it to an iso? (i tried a certain terminal line but i couldnt get it rite, google will probaly help you stumble on that one, yes i have had a look on google... a lot!).

Does anyone have any ideas? i can use windows too and vm windows :P i am determined not to log off to do this, i dont need windows, much!

Thanks all for being there through my regular technology headaches.

as soon as you said only pirates use torrents, you lost me :( especially considering Linux Mint is available as a torrent download from their site.

• Like 1

as soon as you said only pirates use torrents, you lost me :( especially considering Linux Mint is available as a torrent download from their site.

I didnt say that, i use torrent clients all the time, you know what i mean, I dont want to do anything illegal. I do not imply that torrent delivery is a service for pirates lets just make that clear, even if curtain courts have banned such websites to use the pirtate bay, which was a great way to get freeware. torrent content is at the users discression.

Edit:

(I am not a pirate, I cant download torrents because my imorality seems to be corupted), i did say that! oh sorry eep357, well i didnt meen to make such a generalised statement, i actually feel like the above.

Yes, the best place to convert a dmg to something else is obviously in OS X

Just tried this on a random dmg, it works fine: http://osxdaily.com/...-images-to-iso/

thank you that is the terminal command i couldnt correctly phrase, dyslexia is so handy!

Cd desktop

ls shows file: Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg

hdiutil convert Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg -format UDTO -o Mac OS X Install DVD.iso

Is that correct, no typos? because thats what i was trying to use. it just came up with peramiters of use. which means i didnt type it correctly. I can be forgiven for this is think.

• Like 1

You don't need to mess with dmg at all. Just put your Snow Leopard DVD into the drive and copy it using any CD burning tool. Or if you're familiar with the terminal, you can just dd the DVD device out to an iso file.

However, Mint (like most linux distros these days) should support HFS so you may be able to mount the Mac install partition on the disc with whatever disk management tool it uses. It probably just defaults to mounting the Bootcamp partition the same way Windows does.

• Like 1

You don't need to mess with dmg at all. Just put your Snow Leopard DVD into the drive and copy it using any CD burning tool. Or if you're familiar with the terminal, you can just dd the DVD device out to an iso file.

However, Mint (like most linux distros these days) should support HFS so you may be able to mount the Mac install partition on the disc with whatever disk management tool it uses. It probably just defaults to mounting the Bootcamp partition the same way Windows does.

The mount seems likely to become boot camp so that is why i didnt look into it, but its an option i shouldnt really dismiss, i didnt ever really have much luck with HFS before in ubuntu UUID problems ect. As for DVD burning software, i wish i could find a decent free or trial version that will do the job. i apreciate that DMG too ISO is a little far feached and that i should focus on making a ISO.

Cd desktop

ls shows file: Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg

hdiutil convert Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg -format UDTO -o Mac OS X Install DVD.iso

Is that correct, no typos? because thats what i was trying to use. it just came up with peramiters of use. which means i didnt type it correctly. I can be forgiven for this is think.

Yes, the syntax is correct.

The reason why It doesn't work for you is that there are spaces in the filename. Either rename the dmg to blah.dmg and try again..

hdiutil convert blah.dmg -format UDTO -o blah.iso

..or look up how to work with files that have spaces in their name.

• Like 1

I try and fail but Im getting alot better with the terminal.

On an unrelated not my xp virtual machine just got infected it was pretty funny because its not going to cause me any inconvenience, does anyone treat manual virus removal as a game?