restart/shutdown/sleep issues on EP45 with 10.8 gm (maybe AppleRTC.kext patch related)

yonika

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm having an issue with mountain lion gm I installed a few days ago that I haven't been able to solve yet and I need every bit of info I can get, since I'm struggling for more than a week and nothing...

I installed mountain lion gm following this guide:

http://thetecherra.c...rt-to-finish-2/

On my ep45 t board and e8400 cpu I also have 10.7.3 installed on a different hard drive.

Both installs have a patched DSDT with HPET, Power button, speed stepping, sound and other fixes.

See DSDT file attached.

I patched AppleRTC.kext to solve the CMOS reset on Both install - this also enables sleep to work. (if I check all checkboxes on the energy saver system prefs)

My 10.7.3 install works pretty well.

On the other hand, I'm having difficulties with the 10.8 install with restarts and shutdowns after a sleep/wake

Cycle.

In order for restart and shutdown to work, I need to remove the restartfix=no key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

(this is wired because I remembered I had the DSDT fix for that, but no big deal). But it works.

The issue is:

Every time I sleep my system, then wake it up

and then try to restart/shutdown i get a kernel panic or just get a stuck gray screen,

there is no informative output such as a problematic kext or a process that was running during the panic time.

I tried two builds of chameleon 2.1 installed - 1830 and 2003. Both are the stable releases.

I did try running KextUtility to fix permissions but no success.

Additional info:

On my lion install, I'm using chameleon 2 RC5. And although I don't have a problem restarting after a sleep cycle, I can say that after that sleep/wake, the system feels less stable.

I really hope there are other ppl out there with a solution to this, and that Im not he only one :(

this is making me go nuts.

Thanks in advance !!!!

Extra.zip

For sleep just patch AppleRTC.

For shutdown install EvoReboot.kext.

For cmos patching type this in terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

TIP: AppleRTC must be in Extra/Extensions folder when it needs to be patched, after that put it back in S/L/E by installing with a tool like kext wizard!

For sleep just patch AppleRTC.

For shutdown install EvoReboot.kext.

For cmos patching type this in terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

TIP: AppleRTC must be in Extra/Extensions folder when it needs to be patched, after that put it back in S/L/E by installing with a tool like kext wizard!

hey there and thanks for the reply.

Can you confirm that this method works on ML GM ?

Did you try a sleep/wake cycle and then restart/shutdown

And had no issues ??

Why do you have to put the rtc.kext in E/E before patching ?

I never had a problem patching it in s/l/e (CMOS reset wise).

I see you have the same board as I do, which is great ;)

But, your bios Is f4c which is the beta bios, I have f2. Can you say

How and why did you update it ? Don't you have any issues with it

As it is a beta one.

10x

Jonathan

The script needs to patch AppleRTC located in Extra/Extensions, otherwise will not pe patched!

Mine works perfectly AppleRTC patched+EvoRevoot.kext

I use beta bios from gigabyte.com

I flashed from bios using Q-Flash Function!

Yeah I have GM build and all function properly.

No more issues.

The patch changed slightly with AppleRTC v1.5, the new patch is as follows:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Make sure you backup AppleRTC.kext prior to patching.

The script needs to patch AppleRTC located in Extra/Extensions, otherwise will not pe patched!

Mine works perfectly AppleRTC patched+EvoRevoot.kext

I use beta bios from gigabyte.com

I flashed from bios using Q-Flash Function!

Yeah I have GM build and all function properly.

No more issues.

@Kynyo

10x again.

I did try what you suggested, I used evoreboot instead

Of chameleon's restart fix. And patched the appleRTC

with your patch. Unfortunately it did not solve my problem.

Actually there is no difference between evoreboot and chameleon's

Restart fix.

Because we have almost the same system.

I'd really appreciate it if you could provide me with your files.

Meaning your whole Extra folder and all modified kexts in

S/L/E.

If this will not work I'll head for the bios flashing.

I do have to ask you though.

You say that the flashing was done through the BIOS itself ? No windows software required ?

No operating system required ?

And, How much RAM do you have on your system ??

Thank you guys for your support.

I have 4 GB of RAM.

Never upgrade your bios via Operating System! Only via BIOS or Bootable enviroment.

evoReboot helps system to shutdown properly, is not for restart problem.

For restart you have an alternative, a properly patched AppleRTC kext http://cl.ly/422Q292O1y2u

Unzip, and use a tool like Kext wizard to install in System/Library/Extensions. After repair kernel cache and restart system, and everything should be allright!

I have 4 GB of RAM.

Never upgrade your bios via Operating System! Only via BIOS or Bootable enviroment.

evoReboot helps system to shutdown properly, is not for restart problem.

For restart you have an alternative, a properly patched AppleRTC kext http://cl.ly/422Q292O1y2u

Unzip, and use a tool like Kext wizard to install in System/Library/Extensions. After repair kernel cache and restart system, and everything should be allright!

Thanks kynyo.

Actually I have already patched the AppleRTC.kext which stopped the CMOS resets.

Restarts and shutdowns work as long as I don't sleep my system, with or without evoreboot.

I do suspect one of the following:

1. My DSDT.

2. boot loader configurations - org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

3. kexts - missing or unnecessary.

4. SMBIOS.plist

5. BIOS revision.

This is why it would really really help me if you could provide me with your setup files:

1. DSDT.aml

2. org.chameleon.Boot.plist

3. All the kexts in your Extra/Extensions and the ones you have added/patched in your S/L/E of 10.8.

4. your SMBIOS.plist file - I don't need the serial number inside it, so you can remove it.

I assume this is a bit of a hassle to collect all these and upload them here, but it would really help me to further investigate my issues and hopefully find their causes and eliminate them.

Thanks again,

and sorry for the hassle.

Jonathan

EvoReboot help me to shutdown my system, strange without it in 10.8 I cannot shutdown my system... I think is a DSDT problem.

In E/E i don't have kexts it's just DSDT, org.chameleon.bios.plist and smbios.plist.

If you put patched applertc and evoreboot insite S/L/E should not be more problems of sleep, shutdown, restart.

It's not mandatory to upgrade your BIOS if you don't need!

EvoReboot help me to shutdown my system, strange without it in 10.8 I cannot shutdown my system... I think is a DSDT problem.

In E/E i don't have kexts it's just DSDT, org.chameleon.bios.plist and smbios.plist.

If you put patched applertc and evoreboot insite S/L/E should not be more problems of sleep, shutdown, restart.

It's not mandatory to upgrade your BIOS if you don't need!

Hey,

Can you please , please upload your files ??:

DSDT.aml,

SMBIOS.plist

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

the best thing would be , if you could just ZIP your extra folder and upload it ? it would be awesome !!!

10x again

I was having a similar issue - thought it was AppleRTC related.

I checked System Preferences | Energy Saver, and for some reason 'Start up automatically after a power failure' wasn't checked anymore! Now that's checked, things are working as they did in Lion for me.

Ok.. I am going crazy here... hours (no, dayz really...) spent looking for the answers, and it started with the sleep issue in 10.8. My computer crashes when it goes to sleep. I am trying to find a fix that I can keep in the /E folder, or in the .aml file ( ??? )

Theres the first question: I don't know the order of boot for these things, can the DSDT file in theory replace everything from the /E/E folder with patches? And where do I keep the .aml file? How does the .aml file get called?

What dog gone patches do I need for my system! My eyeballs hurt, trying to find the answers.. I used an old post from 2011 from this site to install

onto my P6X58D Premium Asus board.

Here is what I have:

P6X58D Premium Asus board

10.8 installed and running for the most part. (Trying to keep it vanilla.... )

(Just learning what that means, really, and the whole /E vs /S/L/E.... Its all pretty fun really! :)

dual ATI 5870

6GB Ram

I have creative sound card installed, but from what I understand that is never going to happen, so the intel onboard I guess...

I have the stock ethernet Yukon cards

Oh, I also have a rocket raid 4 port USB 3.0 card that I really need to get running, is it possible??

Here is what the system profiler says:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.81 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B04

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

Serial Number (system): SECRETNUMBER

Hardware UUID: F1441C9B-ADBB-5AA2-97C6-D6B764C2D80C

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Kernel Version: Darwin 12.0.0

Boot Volume: KITCHUNHSYNK

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: KITSYNC

User Name: Server Sync (serversync)

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

Time since boot: 1:24

Can anyone tell me what patches I need to the DSDT? I am using the DSDT and patcher from this forum, if that helps.... THank you sooooo much!

And one more thing... Why do all the kext utilities leave you no option to choose if you want the kext installed in /E or /S/L/E??? I have tried kext utility, kext wizard, I think thats it.. I'm trying kext drop now and another one, but why do they all force you to install into the system folder, and not give you a choice? I'm just learning here but I thought the idea was to put everything in the Extra folder, so you didn't have to redo all that work when there is an update. Am I wrong? Also, to keep it vanilla too.....

Oh... AND... when i use kext wizard and tell it to install into the /E directory, the kext disappears! Where does it go? Did it get sucked into the extensions.mkext?? And, where does that go? Inside or outside the /E/E folder? Thank you.. QUick answers are fine... ;)

From 10.7 in order to boot using the kernel cache all kexts go in S/L/E, E/E shouldn't even exist.

Kexts are loaded into an mkext/kernelcache in order to speed up boot time, the system reads this rather than the individual kexts on boot unless booting with -f.

DSDT.aml goes in /Extra

I have the same board but version 1.6 with Bios FB. DSDT is perfect one made by Mald0n's DSDT patcher. Shutdown works perfect because there is script written in the dsdt for that and specific to Gigabyte boards.

The AppleRTC patch does not seem to allow wake to work correctly? I get the login screen but can see the desktop and login window as a ghost like image. I only see the login window password field and I cannot type anything it is locked.

I wonder if I need to remove the setting in org.apple.com.plist using chameleon wizard. the ncp=2000 setting? I iwll try it again later. I use to have the AHCI Block Storage injector script in the dstd but took it out as Mald0n said it could cause problems with the sata drives performance. I have an IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext injector instead and wonder if this could be interfering with wake? The kext changes drives icons from orange back to the normal grey.

One more thing my graphics card is the nvidia gtx 550ti.

Edited: Partially solved:

I figured out the issue. Its the graphics card. My EVGA 9800 GTX+ and MSI 9800 GT do work perfect with sleep/wake. The GTX 550ti has already been reported all over the place with wake as I described here but also a slew of other issues with this graphics card and a few other fermi based cards.