can someone please just tell me what i need to buy?

jbaruch76

5 posts in this topic

ok, i have decided to get a macbook most likely for travel and stuff, but i need a new pc. i want to make sure i get specs that will last for at least a little while, or at least make sure it's easily upgradeable. so basically i want to know what is gonna be the cheapest way to get a pc that will do what i want.

here is what i want:

for it to be vista capable at full runnign speed (with aero or whatever it's called)

to be able to play games at full or close to full running speed without problems for at least 2 yrs

it would be nice if i were able to install leopard on it but i don't think anyone's figured that out yet (so maybe someone can tlel me what i MAY need for that)

I also have a very large music and video library which i would be using with media center. currently i need to encode divx on the fly to stream to my tv and my computer right now is too slow so it skips and pauses when i'm trying to watch.

ok, i think that's about it. I was thinking about getting a decent hp and maybe upgrading a little bit, i like the hps because of the built in media readers and their media center pcs i like as well. but i am very open to suggestions, so if anyone out there has read this and knows what they're doing please help me out.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want it cheap then you have to compromise ;)

For me the best solution would be to get the most advanced motherboard you can afford. You do not need to change the motherboard for atleast a few years. Memories are also important, get as much as you can, as fast as you can.

All other addons such as CPU, Video Card and so on you can replace if you find the need for faster machine....

This is the advice from the guy who build the machine from the ground up for many years...Anyone remember the 8086 CPU??? :)