DVD drive not valid

15 posts in this topic

Hi all

GM install worked all OK except that the dvd drive does not work as in inserted disk doesn't appear on desktop even though the drive goes through all the right motions, spins, lights flash etc. DVD player gives "Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012" message. Drive works under snow and lion just not ML. Did recall reading something recently about DSDT mod to identify drive correctly but can't find it again.

Anyone help?

Cheers

Doh! Feels like idiot - remember to check show cd and dvd in finder preferences, fixes non appearance on desktop

This fixes dvd player error http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20070591-263.html

editing DSDT to have SATA controller show as ES82 will also fix the DVD internal driver error, as well as fix hard drives ejecting when sleep/wake

Data loss on MacPro or hack? Haven't had any issues that I know of and having keyboard DVD eject (on non apple keyboard) no orange drive icons, no ejecting hard drives during sleep are all nice things, I like my data a whole lot too, even more than those other things. Couldn't find anything online either other than references to the warning message when installing the windows driver. Enabled via DSDT but was under impression legacyappleahaciport.kext does the same thing?

On hacks. Try to find older posts from when people started patching in ESB2 via DSDT, not sure what timeframe, 2009-10?

I had some kind of trouble with ESB2 myself and quickly switched back to using an injector, but it's been too long and I don't remember any details. I know I wasn't the only one. I posted under a different name back then.

I recommend using the Chameleon AHCI/ATA injectors. For some reason they're not in the Chameleon source tree anymore, but they're still easy to find. You lose hotplugging in AHCI mode with AHCIPortInjector.kext, but you get properly recognized "internal" drives on any ICH controller, so no weird device self-ejecting issues or orange icons.

sudo cp /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback.bak

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x49\x6E\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|\x45\x78\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|g' /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback

Easier to resolve this DVD fix in Mountain Lion: works well here, even i have auto sleep working. I hope it helps.

• Like 1