Dell Inspiron 1720 (with X3100 Graphics)

mnfesq

34 posts in this topic

I was able to successfully install ML GM on my unsupported laptop with several modifications. Roll-back of ACPIPlatform.kext, IO80211Family.kext, AppleHDA.kext. Use of modified IOPCIFamily.kext (IOPCIFamily-115_ML). Use of X3100 kexts from 10.6.2. Use of FakeStac9205.kext. Use of PS2 kexts. Use of modified AnySightCam.kext. I think that's about it. At first, it hung on me when booting into the USB installer but I fixed this by removing the AppleIntelHD and AppleIntelSNB kexts when I installed the X3100 kexts and then added the HD and SNB kexts back after the X3100 kexts were installed. It was a messy installation, also, but I deleted my S/L/E and copied the S/L/E from the USB installer along with the Extra folder from the USB Installer and the Board/Machine versions files in CoreServices and it booted up correctly the very first time. However, I did need a USB mouse and keyboard initially until I could get into bluetooth preferences and uncheck the boxes that make bluetooth open when usb mouse/keyboard not found. It's true that I don't have full QE/CI with the 10.6.2 video kexts but it works pretty well considering that - even Quicktime will play a video fairly smoothly. I'm sure someone will come up with better 64-bit video kexts now that they are absolutely necessary for X3100 video to work with ML.

post-270804-0-60546000-1342728789_thumb.png

• Like 1

I decided that it was contrary to the community spirit not to share a work in progress. Perhaps someone else will take what I have done so far and make it better. That will help all of us. My files exceeded 10 MB so I had to upload them elsewhere but here is the link:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2949

I tried to explain where the files go but I didn't put too much effort into it. Post any questions and I'll do my best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Managed to install ML on my Inspiron 1720 (Core 2 Duo T7700, NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT).

Although the install itself is not perfect, errors shown etc. it actually works (used Myhack)

Problem is, that is doesn't recognizes internal HDD, only installs on a USB drive.

Replaced several kexts: AppleACPIPlatform, AppleACPIPS2Nub, IOPCIFamily,

both on the installer, as well as on the finished install.

Used NVEnabler for Graphics, which is okay, but not yet perfect.

Had to delete: IO80211Family on both, as well, because it won´t boot with it, gets stuck somewhere.

But now it seems to work.

Almost everything works well!

Even LAN (Broadcom 440x) and WLAN (Dell Wireless 1490), but here is the thing:

All Networks are being recognized, but it doesn't connect!

Has anyone an idea about this system?

What could be the problem of the internal HDD not working and Network problems?

Thanks in advance!!!

Did you try the IOPCIFamily.kext and IO80211Family.kext that I included in my upload? I found that without that modified IOPCIFamily.kext, I would get "still waiting for root device." With the IO80211Family.kext, I can connect via wifi. I have never tried to connect via LAN. BTW, I upgraded to the Dell Wireless 1510 (wireless N) for about $20. It's an easy part to replace and streaming video comes in better for me.

I decided that it was contrary to the community spirit not to share a work in progress. Perhaps someone else will take what I have done so far and make it better. That will help all of us. My files exceeded 10 MB so I had to upload them elsewhere but here is the link:

http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2949

I tried to explain where the files go but I didn't put too much effort into it. Post any questions and I'll do my best.

Thank you so much, these kexts and files helped me to finally get ML working:

Graphics, Bluetooth, Network, iCloud, internal hdd etc. - everything, I guess!

Really great work!

Thank you :)

Hi all.... is there a chance that any of you might be posting a step by step for the Inspiron 1720?

I have a Vostro 1700 with Nvidia 8600m graphics. I got a USB installer made with Ellnic's Lion tutorial, but I used the files that mnfesq uploaded for his Inspiron 1720 minus the IntelHD graphics drivers and my own DSDT. The USB installer loads fine as long as I don't use -f or -v or any kernel flags, but it can't see my internal HDDs, it takes forever trying to install it to USB and gets to what it says is 4 minutes left then fails install. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I got the failed install on 2 occasions and just ignored it. I was able to boot into my ML installation and from there, I had to do some clean-up that the failed installation left behind. As soon as I get a chance, I'll write up a tutorial on how I did it.

• Like 1

I found that with my DSDT as it is, I do not have speedstepping. I was wondering why it took more than an hour to install ML. I am using VoodooPowerMini.kext and that works pretty well. I also seem to be able to shutdown but not restart and definitely cannot wake from sleep. I will experiment with the ML sleepenabler.kext and see if that helps. According to what I have read on the Macrumors forum, written by people with genuine Macbooks with the X3100 GPU, the culprit is the so-so 10.6.2 video kexts. Not too surprising. However, I was able to do what they have been trying to do for a long time - get hardware acceleration. I don't have QE/CI, but I can load launchpad after a lengthy delay. Apparently, some of the graphics problems are due to the fact that the X3100 doesn't support OpenGL4.

This is getting annoying, I got it to see the internal drives by remaking the USB installer and it still failed in the final minutes. I tried to boot to the installed location and it doesn't show up in chameleon. Reboot into Lion and install chameleon and copy over the extensions and extra folders to the ML drive, boot up and it just sits on the Apple logo. Used the VoodooPowerMini kext and it installed faster.

Use the bootloader on your USB installer. It should find your ML installation. At least it does on mine. If you want Chameleon to see your ML installation, copy the Extra folder from your USB installer to your ML installation. That should work.

i got ml to install but now on boot it gives me a ebios read error and after the error stops and the usual stuff comes up it days found errors, pausing 5 seconds and then the pc reboots itself, ohh i got an error installing

Yeah I do with the x3100 graphics

I got the error installing, it wouldn't install without saying it couldn't finish. I kinda cheated since I have the second hard drive with Lion on it, I booted into Lion and copied the Extras and Extensions folder over to the ML disk, built the extensions.mkext and installed Chameleon from there and rebooted. I also had to reinstall BSD.pkg because I couldn't do a disk repair, I guess it didn't install because of the not finishing. I didn't get the ebios error, don't know why you're getting it. If you are willing to start over, I will write up my process today and post it here.

Ok, here's my process. 90% of the credit goes to Ellnic for his Lion install guide and Mnfesq for his work getting the files for the install and some information on the way. Thank you both.

I have a Vostro 1700 with C2D T7250, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 8600m GT. Everything works on my computer with this guide except Shutdown and Restart. Of course, if your components like Wifi and Bluetooth are different from mine, I can't guarantee they will work without modification, but if you have been installing OSx on your laptop, you should know what to do to fix your stuff.

Things you will need:

ShowAllFiles.app (unless you know how to show hidden files)

Mnfesq’s Inspiron 1720 with X3100 package http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2949

VoodooPowerMini.kext

Your own DSDT for your system

Chameleon-2.1svn-r2042

Kext Utility

1. Navigate to the MLion Update app and Show Contents.
  2. Use app ShowAllFiles app or terminal commands to show hidden files.
  3. Locate the InstallESD.dmg and mount it.
  4. Open "Mac OS X Install ESD" and mount BaseSystem.dmg.
  5. Open Disk Utility and Format your USB drive with 2 partitions, make the 1st 200MB and call it "Boot" and make the 2nd fill the rest of the space - make the partition type GUID.
  6. Restore the mounted BaseSystem.dmg to the 2nd partition on your USB drive and then rename it "MLion_USB".
  7. Go to MLion_USB and locate the Packages alias in /System/Installation and delete it.
  8. Copy the packages folder in the root of "Mac OS X Install ESD" to same location as alias you just deleted on USB.
  9. Copy mach_kernel and kernelcache from "Mac OS X Install ESD" to root of MLion_USB.
  10. Unzip the “ML Install Files.zip” to get five more zip folders.
  11. Unzip and copy the Extra folder to the Boot partition of the USB replacing the DSDT if necessary.
  12. Unzip the rest of the folders and copy each to their respective folder on MLion_USB making sure to replace the files as needed. (If you have Nvidia graphics, you can skip the IntelHD graphics kexts in the Extensions folder as they are not needed).
  13. Copy the VoodooPowerMini.kext to the Extensions folder.
  14. Make a cache of Extensions folder on MLion_USB by dragging the folder to Kext Utility.
  15. Copy the Extensions.mkext that you just made to the System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup folder.
  16. Run the Chameleon installer and install to the Boot partition of the USB.
  17. Use ShowAllFiles app or terminal commands to hide hidden files.

You should now be able to boot the USB without using any boot flags. Once you are in the OSX installer, make a partition or format your drive as GUID and install. The installer will fail in the last few minutes, but do not worry about it, your installation will work.

Now you can restart your computer and use the MLion_USB to boot the ML HDD to complete the post install setup. I wasn’t able to pick my ML HDD in Chameleon so I had to boot into my second HDD with Lion installed on it to complete the post install.

Post Install Instructions

1. Copy the Extra folder from MLion_USB to the root of your ML HDD.
  2. Copy the Extensions from the “ML Install Files.zip” and the VoodooPowerMini.kext to the Extensions folder on your ML HDD. (I deleted all the Graphics and Graphics related kext besides Nvidia from the extensions folder on the HDD, not sure if this was necessary or not, but it didn’t hurt anything. I have an Nvidia machine, if you have Intel x3100, you need the Intel kexts).
  3. Make a cache of Extensions folder on MLion_USB by dragging the folder to Kext Utility.
  4. Copy the Extensions.mkext in /System/Library to System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.
  5. Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist file to include "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in the kernel flags.
  6. Find the BSD.pkg on the MLion_USB and copy it to your ML HDD and run it, this will fix the repair disk function of Disk Utility. (Most likely didn’t install because of the installer’s failure to complete).
  7. Install Chameleon to the Mountain Lion HDD.

Reboot computer and you should be greeted with Mountain Lion setup.

• Like 2

Thanks man on me first hdd I have lion also so I can use ur cheats

I gotta say thanks I'm logged on to mountain lion it's on my second hdd running thanks to mnfesq for the files and xangel9626 for the ill after failure guide

• 2 weeks later...