Install Mountain Lion with update

29 posts in this topic

Yes u can install ML over Lion partition without erasing lion partition and it will update lion to ML without loosing any data .

if u have a full version image u can do that by creating a ML usb installation usb and then install it over lion without erasin Lion partition

• Like 1

I tried by mounting Mountain Lion_GM.dmg in Lion and run the installer. Installation went smoothly but on reboot, it still show Lion. Not trace of ML at all.

Would appreciate if you can share with us the steps you took to install ML over Lion.

TQ

:| You just start the ML installer and install it onto Lion without formating... and done.

I will need one to upgrade my unpaid for lion install to mountain lion. As I understand it the golden master asks for a Apple store password and checks if you have paid for Lion.I havent :P

I will need one to upgrade my unpaid for lion install to mountain lion. As I understand it the golden master asks for a Apple store password and checks if you have paid for Lion.I havent :P

Facepalm! :hysterical:This community is starting to attract the weird ones lately. If you want to install OSX without learning anything about it and how it works, I'd suggest a site called t0nym@cx86.c0m. You may feel more at home there. :glare:

Facepalm! :hysterical:This community is starting to attract the weird ones lately. If you want to install OSX without learning anything about it and how it works, I'd suggest a site called t0nym@cx86.c0m. You may feel more at home there. :glare:

How very arrogant of you...

I think its a shame when people with low maturity make such comments. If you know so much why not just help out and advise? Its called a community. Yes im new to osx and yes im needing help and yes thats why I posted on a forum to ask. Facepalm back at you!

tsddave: I already answered to you... It doesn't matter where did you got Lion or where did you got ML. The install method is the same.

Yes and thanks alot for that :)

Sorry but I got sidetracked by the flameboy.

I tried using the OSX app to upgrade my Lion to ML Golden master from the desktop. I did an install process and restarted my computer but nothing changed.

I havent tried usb method because im concerned that it will wipe out my install of lion and I dont want to lose everything.

Sadly thats out of the question for me, ive already maxed out the slots for hard drives on my pc. Having OSX Lion on one, Windows 7 on another and various storage drives.

I see the Apple store is selling this as of today so im thinking just buy it and hope it installs from the desktop. I dont really understand why some can install from desktop and others cant.

On PCs, the desktop-install app simply not working. On PC, you can only update with booting into installer media, then install osx onto Lion partition without formating.

On PCs, the desktop-install app simply not working. On PC, you can only update with booting into installer media, then install osx onto Lion partition without formating.

This is not entirely true.

If you are using a DUET EFI bases bootlader such as Clover or XPC, they reboot after the preparation stage of the app (from MAS) and continue with the installation routine like on real Apple hardware ....

I believe simply running the app doesn't work because that assumes you create a 8GB partition where it copies itself to, in order to resume the install after restarting? This is how real Macs do it. I could be wrong, but I remember Lion upgrades neeeding an 8gb partition on your HDD.

Going with the usb installer seems easier so that you don't have to mess with your HDD partitions.

If your machine is known to work with it, no harm in upgrading from Lion! My laptop upgraded and runs perfectly in Mountain Lion. My desktop however is all out of whack. If your hardware is known to work though, go for an update. Certainly saves trouble and I didn't lose any performance or anything.