Atheros AR9285 AR5B95 Work with airport?

alex95sv

8 posts in this topic

Will this card work with AirPort?

ar9285-half-size.jpg

• Data transmission speed :up to 300Mbps theory
  • Model: Atheros AR5B95 AR9285
  • Frequency brand: 2.4GHz
  • Standard : IEEE 802.11 b/g/n support IEEE 802.11d 802.11e standards and 802.11i draft specification
  • Interface Card :Half Mini PCI Express
  • Compatible Systems :Windows XP Vista Win 7 and Linux.
  • Strong reception for Wifi signals simultaneous transmission
  • Advanced Lower power consumption technology ( Dynamic MIMO Power saving function- DMPS)
  • High stability and integration
  • Enhanced speed coverage and the reliability of the wireless network via 802.11i
  • Applies for Ethernet

And, which one would you prefer, AR9280 or AR9285?

Thanks!

Found this

The iMac Wi-Fi Update for 10.7.3 of Feb.2012 contains a plugin kext for the IO80211Family called AirportAtheros40 which is the correct driver for the AR9280. You may need to add your specific ID# to the info.plist, as is it only supports IDs Vendor ID 0x168c (Atheros) with Product IDs 0x0030 & 0x002a.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1501

So AR9280 should work on Lion?

Edited by alex95sv

any card will work with airport, are you trying to find one that will work in OSX? If so what type of PC, as that is mini PCI where most laptops these days use min PCIe with the "e" on the end being important

Well, my laptop is Acer Aspire 5738G. You are right, my card must be half size mini pci-e :( Any suggestions?

Actually, they are both PCI-e, arent they? :D

Edited by alex95sv
  • Like 1

yes its mini pci-e the card is HALF size of standard. AR5B91 works with no problems out of box.. AR5B95 is id 2B needs that id put in the info.plist

as it comes with 2A originally = AR5B91

a known working OOB 1/2 size atheros is the Vaio AR5B91

yes its mini pci-e the card is HALF size of standard. AR5B91 works with no problems out of box.. AR5B95 is id 2B needs that id put in the info.plist

as it comes with 2A originally = AR5B91

a known working OOB 1/2 size atheros is the Vaio AR5B91

So, this one is a go? Should I get it?

Good catch, my eyes focused on the shape and not the notch :) According to LatinMcG's post the one you linked looks good. That is definitely one of his areas of expertise (although there are many :) )

• Like 1

Recent testing shows both of these Atheros wifi cards in either mini PCIe or half mini PCIe are native Airport WiFI cards (no dsdt or kext edits, reported as Airport Extreme):

1. AR9280 (d_id: 2A) dual band, two streams, 300 Mbs

2. AR9380 (d_id: 30) dual band, three streams, 450 Mbs

With a dsdt edit (d_id: 30) or IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist d_id edit, these become Airport WiFi cards:

3. AR9285 (d_id: 2B) 2.4 band, one stream, 150 Mbs

4. AR9287 (d_id: 2E) 2.4 band, two streams, 300 Mbs

• Like 1