Buying a new Hackintosh

42 posts in this topic

Hello…

I'm buying a new Hackintosh and needed advice on the components.

I need at least:

1GB Graphics Card

Dual monitor capable

Wi-Fi

32GB RAM

Must run Lion

Must be able to sleep

Intel i7

Boot from a SSD

Thank you!

Hi…

If possible I liked to spend around 600-700€.

What do you mean by "SSD caching"?

It'll be used mostly for Adobe CS5 and 6 (especially photoshop and dreamweaver) and for Delicious Library (with thousands of entries).

I've seen the prices of i7 and they're quite expensive so maybe i5 will suffice and by now I only need 8GB of RAM but the motherboard must be prepared for 32.

I was looking at this:

Intel Core i5 3450 3.10GHz 6MB Socket 1155

ASUS P8Z68-M Pro (Motherboard)

ASUS ATI HD6770 1GB DDR5 PCI-E - EAH6770/DI/1GD5 (Graphics Card)

Sandisk Extreme SSD G25-G3 120GB SATA III - SDSSDX-120G-G25

What do you think of this?

Hi…

If possible I liked to spend around 600-700€.

The build isn't bad although it only has four dim slots but the amount of ram sticks you can get (up to 8gb) is a lot so it shouldn't be an issue

Edit looks like a good build and SSH caching on some Motherboard it frist saves to the SSD than moves to the HDD or puts more used files on the SDD also.

It should be okay depending on what your doing also I would suggest a better card as the 6770 I've herd has issues with OSx86

no QE/CI with this card, but you just have to flash it into HD 5770 and will be recognized OOB ! ;) (HD6770 is a "camouflaged" HD5770)

there's no i5 proc out there that will be paired up with a board that holds 32 gigs of ram. Most you'll get is 16 unless you plan on going Sansybridge E with the X79 platform which will break your budget of course. The must sleep thing is going to vary a lot so keep that in mind. Also I don't see why you'd geta a 6770 if you want such a high spec system in my opinion.

• Like 1

Building high-end on a budget usually doesn't result in high-end :) Keeping an eye on upgradability when purchasing can go a long way though. You will never need 32 gigs of ram to run any osx application that will be released in the next 5 years and as noted, ONLY the brand new top of the line socket 2011 motherboards can support 32 gigs. I put 24 gigs in my socket 1366 because it was cheap and I had the empty slots to fill, but honestly have never got the system using even close to half of it all at once, 16 gigs of reasonably fast, low latency ram will be more than sufficient. When buying ram, if your buying 8 gigs, don't buy 4x2gb sticks, get 2x4gb sticks so you can add more easily. For the motherboard, z68 chipset will need bios update for ivybridge, z77 would support your cpu choice otb and provide better performance from the onboard GPU.

Thanks for the replies.

But I already have the computer with that hardware, but in the store they told me that can exchange anything within 15 days. I'm having a hard time booting with the install, tried many solutions but it's constantly hanging, I think it's the motherboard and so I'm thinking exchanging it for a easier one, can someone tell me a "easier" motherboard to install Mac OS?

I did research and it appears Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H were better tested or is there a better one?

Nope. I didn't know that was important. That doesn't remove the warranty, right?

not if you don't tell them :) But it shouldn't anyway because it's their BIOS update, and update is needed for your CPU listed above unless it came with newer version preinstalled(prob didn't tho)

when and where during boot process do you get a black screen. After chameleon and you choose boot volume? any text show first before seeing black screen? monitor go into power save move or just black but otherwise on?

Exchanged MB and Graphics card, now is P8Z68-V pro and asus gtx550, but the problem is the same.

When I use -x -v a lot of text appears, then black screen, yes it's after chameleon and after choosing the boot volume. The monitor doesn't go to power save mode, it just stays black.

I did try with iatkos s3 and 2 different messages appears showing kernel panic

http://pedrolaia.com/DSCF5823.JPG

http://pedrolaia.com/DSCF5824.JPG

Thanks for the help!

please always use -v boot flag when installing OS and while getting things set up, this enables verbose boot and additional error logging when booted to osx making it possible to diagnose the cause of your issue, but gray screen with apple logo is useless. boot with:

-v -x

and see where it hangs

When you were trying S3, the panic you were getting was from RTC (real time clock). your using a new CPU model that won't be supported under S3 ever and isn't really supported in Lion at the moment. IAtkos L2 was made 8-9 months ago so does not include anything "Ivy Friendly". Since it seems like your getting bootloader text then black screen when OSX should be taking over the boot process, it's posiblly just a graphics issue (you have tried booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes already right?) Also continue to always include -v as boot flag regardless of what other options you may try. If you have tried GraphicsEnabler and still no joy, I would suggest making your own USB installer from scratch, and include newest Chameleon which I believe just added support for your on-board GPU a few days ago. Since the mobo has been available much longer than the CPU, you should also be able to get a patched DSDT to use in the installer and can extract and patch your own later on (if needed). Aside from that just follow any of the retail installation guides on this site. Trust me on this, once you learn to make your own installers and include a few kexts you know you need, you will never touch another distro again. Look and see how many posts on this site start with "Help, iAtkos L2...", if I had a nickel for each one I'd buy a brand new MacPro.

• Like 1