Building a 12core Hackintosh

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

i've been searching the web for quite a while on that topic now but wasn't able to find anything (except that one totally kickass insane powerbuild, that was unaffordable...)

so here it goes:

I'm using a i7 Hackintosh Pro build myself... now a friend wants me to build one as well for him. BUT he wants to have an 12-core machine with at least 32GB DDR3 RAM, usb 3.0, etc etc....

So is there any way to build a Hackintosh with an 12core processor? it would be good if there was a solution with kakewalk or at least one with a really good step by step tutorial...

hope i can find the help i need here...

cheers and thanks in advance!

Don't think you'd need a kakewalk if you simply just pick out a compatible mobo the cpu won't be that troublesome but if it's a hexacore you want (HyperThreaded gives you 12 cores). The 3960X Sandy Bridge E chip should be what you're after. The X79 boards are triple channel boards as opposed to the dual channels we see in the current z77 and others which means you'll get 6 DIMM slots so you should be able to achieve your 32 gb of ram so long as the board can handle it.

Hardest part really is picking out an X79 board that will work fine with OS X and your friend's needs as well as being able to part with a large sum of money at the same time.

@ The Real Deal I'd honestly start with Lion because SNB was not out around the Snow Leo days if I'm correct so little things like speed step might not work but certainly does in Lion.

Any reason why you'd like to stick with Snow Leo?

Hello,

I prefer the environment of SL by far ; the user experiment, the GUI, the need of rosetta, etc,. and it tooks me many months to tweak things, install specific apps, frameworks, etc,. only a user account migration won't be enough.

• 4 weeks later...

@ The Real Deal I'd honestly start with Lion because SNB was not out around the Snow Leo days if I'm correct so little things like speed step might not work but certainly does in Lion.

Any reason why you'd like to stick with Snow Leo?

SNB Support was added around 10.6.6 or 10.6.7.

The main addition was support for integrated Intel HD Graphics.

• Like 1