Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeijonaSisu

[SOLVED] "You must restart your computer" Grey screen of death after using Lion for awhile

12 posts in this topic

So after installing Lion on my new Hackintosh it works perfectly for awhile. But after about 20 minutes, or up to 30 minutes;

I get the error "You must restart your computer" the screen slowly fades to grey etc.

Any idea what's going on?

CPU: i7-2600

GPU: Nvidia GT 530 1GB

HDD: 1TB Caviar Green

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333

MOBO: ASUS P8H67-M

Installed flawlessly and boots up without a problem. The only issue I have, is it doing this after a small amount of time? I can feel that I am almost there!

After crashing I sometimes lose my sound also, I have no idea why but it just doesn't initialise with the computer. This only happens after my PC has crashed :/

EDIT: This only seems to be really happening when I am torrenting something, using either uTorrent or Transmission. So it seems to be something to do with the hard drive... I have no idea what is going on...

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Didn't realise discussing that was banned :o edited my post.

Minor edit: Very funny :P except that this has happened 25 times now.. and it stops me from being able to do anything :/

booting in verbose mode by using -v also logs additional info while osx is running and if it kernel panics (which is what yours is doing) it will show the extension and back trace info that caused it on the screen, instead of just saying restart. So then you can take a picture and post it and finding the problem will be doable. I suggest always booting verbose, at least the first couple weeks.

Thanks a ton for the info. I fixed the permissions and so far it's been about 5 hours and there hasn't been any crashes. It crashed once an hour after I fixed permissions but that was the moment I ran a 'firewall' program. So I think it may have had something to do with that. I'll reboot the machine and run it in -v verbose.

So running it in -v means that it will give me an error screen next time that the crash occurs and I can read what the problem is? I thought it only 'booted verbosely'

Thanks again for the info :) my PC seems to be a lot more stable now anyway. I'd say I'm 99% of the way there.

Ok it crashed again, and then I rebooted and it crashed again instantly.. Here is a picture I took:

2ymzix4.jpg

Can you guys make anything of that?

yup, it's your ethernet which explains why it happens when torrenting

what chipset is your ethernet?

Ok.. so what can I do to fix it? If I use my wireless.. my speed is far, far less than if use my Ethernet.. is it just a case of what kext I am using for my Ethernet? Can I use a different one, will that fix the problem? This rebooting issue is the only negative thing I am dealing with when using this Hackintosh... I'd really like to be able to not have to worry about crashes.

EDIT: Apparently according to this: http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

My ethernet is a: Realtek® 8111E , 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller

I'm not 'usually' as dumb as I look but from that kernel panic it looks to me as if my Hackintosh is using the .kext RTL8169 for my Ethernet... am I right or wrong?

Putting 2 and 2 together would suggest that it's using the wrong .kext? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here...

try replacing existing appleRTL8169 kext with one from here http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/lnx2macs-realtek-rtl81xx-driver-goes.html I think his installer will remove the old one for you

repair permissions and rebuild caches b4 reboot. can use kext wizard or terminal to rebuild the cache: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Thanks for being so much help. I rebuilt permissions and deleted the cache. But after running the installer it didn't look like the .kext was removed... When I went to Apple > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Ethernet cards, it was still the appleRTL8169 after the installation. So I would assume that i was still using the problematic .kext.

I then pulled up another terminal and ran: cd //system/extensions etc. etc. etc.

then I removed the .kext with: sudo rm -rf AppleExtensionEthernet.kext etc.

Now I'm going to do a reboot and try running the installer again because something tells me it didn't remove the .kext for me and I just did.

Apple > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Ethernet cards, now shows an Ethernet card but no .kext is referenced.

EDIT: Ok rebooted and got a pretty uninformative kernel panic: nnptgh.jpg

Rebooted again, no problem. I didn't run the .kext installer and I'm going to try running it now..

EDIT AGAIN: Ok it still doesn't look like anything has changed in system settings.. there is still no .kext referenced. So I don't know if it's working or not. I'm going to do a clean install. Fingers crossed that this will be the last one I have to do.

Did you just go from trying to install ethernet kext to redoing a clean install in the same post? Did you check date modified of kext in s/l/e to see if it changed, check loaded extension in system info while you were there for same info and kext version #? In terminal try: kextstat? Verify no copyright infringement on that avatar? Boot with -x if needed to get past KP, or even -s to remove kext from command line if need be?......I'll stop. But that was kinda funny. And I haven't had a board in a while that used that controller so honestly don't know if it should look different in sys info or not. Next time if you run the installer, then reboot, and it work's, don't do the rest of what you did :) If your worried it's the old one, remove it, reboot and verify no more ethernet (after dowloading replacement), run installer, reboot, if ethernet comes back, it's not the old one.

p.s. I assume you meant repaired permissions and rebuilt cache, but be very careful what you do in terminal, especially when using sudo, what's the etc. etc. part after that? To misquote a show about nothing, "there's no yada, yada sudo"

I've been running Linux for a few years so I know the dangers of running the Sudo command. The installation is only a Hackintosh and can be rebuilt within about 20 minutes from my Lion USB with absolutely no trouble at all. I simply wiped the system and then reinstalled all of the .kexts properly the first time around. It's been 3 or so days now and I haven't had any problems with shut downs or anything. Though the PC did crash just once from going to 'sleep' and then never waking up. I just simply turned sleep off and haven't had the problem since.

Thanks for your help you were undoubtedly the one who found the fix for me and now I have a fully working Hackintosh, Linux and Windows 7 machine. I am very grateful.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wise_rice
      So, I am officially crazy...
      I bought 26 Powermacs (G5)
      And I modded them ALL
      They are now ready for ATX and mATX Mainboards…
      But why 26?
      Did I mention I was crazy?!
      (And they were only sold together…)

I modded G5 Cases before – They kind of became my passion.

This time I wanted everything to be perfect:
      - Keep as much of the original design as possible
      - Cut as less as possible
      - Since it is impossible to find a G5 Case without dents and scratches, I wanted to paint them, freshly.

I am done now and it is time to share my experiences:
      It was a rough 6 months from start to finish.
      The project kept me busy during all of the winter.
      I worked every weekend on it, till late.

I need to apologize…
      …to my family for occupying their workshop, guest rooms and garages
      …to my friends for neglecting them during the last months
      …to the dogs and the cat for waking them up from their afternoon nap every now and then (because of the metalwork-noise).

I hope to be able and show everybody that it was worth it - And that someone out there is appreciating the work, as well.

Back me up, guys - Spread the love :-)

I believe in Apples high quality and the unique design of Sir Jony Ive

My mods include a preinstalled power supply (and even watercooling on some)

Countless hours of work and high-quality components & tools were used

Of course, you can come and have a look if you are near the South of Germany (or the North of Switzerland).
    • By moman2000
      Hi,

I thought it would be nice that I would be the first here to give my experience with getting Mojave running and mostly working on my system.

My specifications are as follows:

iMac 14,2

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H / Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.4GHz / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
      MSI AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC
      250GB SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND SSD / 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
      1TB 5.4K HDD

I used the config that @MaLd0n helped me with. Seriously, he is a legend. HERE is my Clover Config including everything I use for 10.13 High Sierra and 10.14 Mojave.

Installation Procedure:

Create bootable USB media with createinstallmedia - sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.14\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/"Insert Volume Name here"  ***** Remove quotation marks!!! 

**"--Applicationpath" is now depreciated and should not be used when making a 10.14 Mojave USB. I do not know if this will change in upcoming releases.

** ConvertToAPFS is now depreciated and no longer works when installing 10.14 Mojave beta 1. Using the command "--converttoapfs NO" will not work if you use it with "createinstallmedia".

Editing "minstallconfig.xml" within the "macOS Install Data" folder on the target partition chosen during installation to change "ConvertToAPFS" from "TRUE" to "FALSE" would also not disable APFS conversion.

Installation ran through well, but it did restart just after installation began which seemed to have been caused by a crash, but it seemed like it was normal as this happened twice as I tried installing Mojave earlier and the same thing happened. Rebooting again into the installation on the target drive that was selected before described as "macOS Install"  and named "macOS 10.14" resumed installation.

Everything from then on was easy and smooth. I set-up my iCloud and things as such and was brought to the desktop of macOS 10.14 Mojave!

What does work:

Graphics (Acceleration/Metal) // 4K video dropped 0 frames // Picture-in-Picture
      Mouse and Keyboard
      USB 3.0 -  Full 5 GBP/s - Only ports above HDMI Port and front I/O
      USB 3.0 under both Intel and Killer Ethernet ports function with USB 2.0 devices.
      Ethernet (only Intel NIC so far) Both NIC's work, Intel I217-V and Killer E2200
      iMessage
      Sleep and Wake
      Shutdown
      Restart

Update #1:

Temporary Fix: ***I have gotten audio to work after browsing Reddit, I stumbled across this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/8orn7w/mojave_files_needed/e05kkj9/

Update #2:

I have just found a kext for the on-board Killer E2200 NIC after searching with device and vendor ID's on this forum.
      https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/

Update #3:

Audio is now fully operational with new version 1.2.8 of AppleALC, from here: 

What does NOT work:

USB 3 under Intel I217-V NIC and Killer E2200 NIC Ethernet Ports // Only function with USB 2.0 devices.
      Audio Temporary fix in Update #1 above   Fixed in Update #3
      Killer E2200 NIC Fixed in Update #2 above

This is the information I have been able to gather thus far whilst using Mojave.

I hope this helps someone in getting Mojave running on their system.

Regards,
      Mohamed

CLOVER_moman2000 No SN.zip

• By ITzTravelInTime
      Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:

The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create Mac OS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.

This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the Mac OS installer apps, it is capable to create a Mac OS installer on a drive completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself. In addition to this, this app provvides also to you some customization features and a better management of the hall macOS isntall media creation process

Allows you to create easily a macOS install media without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is you want to use it on a Mac.

Features:
        - Simple to use UI that allows you to easily start the macOS install media creation process
        - It can work with every Mac OS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside of it's resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers)
        - You can use any drive or partition you want that can be erased and is at least 7 GB of size
        - Works on Mac OS recovery, so you can create a macOS install media from a bootable macOS installer or from the macOs recovery, and you can use TINU to install macOS too.
        - All vanilla, the macOS install medias created with this tool are 100% vanilla, just like you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method in the terminal, with also some extra optiona features
        - Open source, you will know what this program does on your computer and also you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code
        - Does not requires to do anything of special first, just open the program
        - No need to go in disk utility first, TINU can format your drive for you
        - Uses recent and more modern APIs and SDKs and Swift 3 language
        - Transparent graphics style available (use alt + s on the keyboard or View->Use transparent style)
        - Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without needing for an update
        - Advanced section, to customize your macOS install media
        - Installer customization: Kernelcache/prelinkedknerel and boot files replacement (a feature that can be handy while dealing with old Macs or with beta installers when you need to mod or change the boot files some times)
        - Clover EFI folder installer

Features that are planned for some future versions:
        - Integrated EFI partition mounter tool (TINU can already mount EFI partitions from version 2.0, but a dedicated section which allows to mount every EFI partition in the system will be added)
        - Install clover and configure clover
        - Install kexts inside the kexts folder of clover
        - Clover drivers customization
        - Use custom dsdt in clover
        - integrated pre-made clover config templates database from a remote and open repository
        - Support for other languages, at least Italian   Rquirements:  - A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer)  - A drive or a free partition of at least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer  - A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage device in your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media)   Note that this app is under the GNU GPL v3 license so any reuse of the source code must follow the license's terms   Latest stable TINU release:   Download the app:                                https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases   View the source code:                            https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU       Frequently asked questions about TINU:  https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs     NOTE: if you have problems with your USB installer of 10.13.4 or newer version not being detected by clover you have to use the latest clover and if it still does not detectets your usb installer you have to remove the invivible file called .IAPhysicalMedia located into the root of the usb installer. This issue is caused by a changement in the apple's createinstallmedia, don't blame TINU for that, TINU does only uses the installer creation method from apple, which has been changed by appleitself, causing this problem for hackintosh users some times, this issue should be resolved in the latest versions of clover which will no longer require that you do changements to let your usb dive to be detected, a setting to do this fix automatically in tinu is also present TINU in the adavnced settings, starting from the version 2.0 of the app. I leave also some screenshots as well

• By MaLd0n
      First... If you need DSDT edits... -Post your full Clover folder with original tables in Origin folder(Extract with F4 in Clover boot screen) -Run it, post files generated in your desktop RunMe.app  Installation   --Create a bootable copy of macOS Sierra Check out the link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/559-flash-drive-maker/   --Create a bootable copy of macOS HighSierra Check out the link http://diskmakerx.com/   --Install Clover in USB stick https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/   --Replace with my Clover folder  CLOVER.zip   --Install Sierra/High Sierra and boot into system!   Post Installation   --Install Clover in HDD/SSD and replace with my folder CLOVER.zip   --Reboot and activate video!   -Nvidia WebDriver Sierra http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-07212017/ -Nvidia WebDriver High Sierra http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324195-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-high-sierra-update-10162017/ -Cuda http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302795-cuda-90214-is-out-update-10162017/   -DSDT My DSDT DSDT.GA H97M-DS3P MaLd0n.zip   -Patches -FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS -HPET -SATA -DMAC -SLPB -DARWIN -LPC -XHCI -HDEF -RTC -IRQs -SBUS -MIKEY -BUS1 -MCHC -ALS0 -SHUTDOWN -LAN -EC -PNLF -HDMI

-FakeSMC
      https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek -Audio https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC -LAN https://github.com/Mieze/IntelMausiEthernet   -Credits and thanks to the old and new people in the community who developed patches, kexts and bootloaders!   Slice, Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr, RehabMan, Download-Fritz, Zenit432, cecekpawon, Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon Team, crazybirdy, Mieze, Mirone, Oldnapalm, netkas, Elconiglio, artut-pt, ErmaC, Pavo, Toleda, Master Chief and family, bcc9, The King, PMheart, Sherlocks, Micky1979, vit9696, vandroiy2013, Voodoo Team, Pike R. Alpha, lvs1974, Austere.J, CVad and many, many, many others!   We're all here to have fun and learn from each other!   ENJOY!